HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > London Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Mar 27, 2015, 3:17 PM

Masonville Target Closing April 2 & Westmount April 4

Bye Targets

Everything is 50-70% off....

Masonville Closes April 2
Westmount Closes April 4

Old Posted Mar 27, 2015, 4:03 PM

Regarding your "": Did you shop there? I find so many people seem to have some mythical ideal of Target that doesn't match reality. Everyone seems sad that this giant minimum-wage paying American corporation is going under, but the differences between it and say Wal-Mart -- which these same people openly loathe -- are minimal.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2015, 8:26 PM

I did shop at Target often and I loved it. Much cleaner and more organized then Walmart. I will miss the Masonville one...

Old Posted Mar 27, 2015, 8:52 PM

Fair enough, then, I suppose you are the exception. To be honest, in my experiences with Targets they seemed quite disorganized, but I never went to the Masonville location. I am surprised they are pulling the plug on the entire operation. I assume at least a couple dozen stores must be profitable.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2015, 2:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaradthescot View Post
Fair enough, then, I suppose you are the exception. To be honest, in my experiences with Targets they seemed quite disorganized, but I never went to the Masonville location. I am surprised they are pulling the plug on the entire operation. I assume at least a couple dozen stores must be profitable.
I know nothing about the inner workings of Target other than what has been reported in the news. However, I doubt any of the outlets were profitable up to this point, mainly due to the massive inventory issues. They likely had tons of overhead but low sales due to the inventory problems.

It's likely that some locations would have performed better than others, but the problem with closing many but not all locations is that they still would have had the overhead of distribution centers and distribution, and with far fewer stores to allocate the fixed costs across, the profit per store would likely have been worse if the number of stores was decreased.

They never should have opened nationwide so fast. That was ultimately what killed them.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2015, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
I know nothing about the inner workings of Target other than what has been reported in the news. However, I doubt any of the outlets were profitable up to this point, mainly due to the massive inventory issues. They likely had tons of overhead but low sales due to the inventory problems.

It's likely that some locations would have performed better than others, but the problem with closing many but not all locations is that they still would have had the overhead of distribution centers and distribution, and with far fewer stores to allocate the fixed costs across, the profit per store would likely have been worse if the number of stores was decreased.

They never should have opened nationwide so fast. That was ultimately what killed them.
The other problem was that Target's US-based management just blithely assumed they could take an American cultural and economic construct and just transplant it in Canada. That might have been a successful ploy *if* they had backed it up with US-style prices and selection, kept their stores properly stocked, and appealed a bit better to the tendency Canadians have to seek out value for money.

About the only thing good I can say about Target is that their stores were neater, cleaner, and a lot more pleasant to shop in than Zellers stores ever were. I wasn't sorry to see the Westmount Zellers go when Target moved in. The Zellers store was starting to look pretty mingy and run-down, with shelves of stock in disarray, indifferent staff, and products hard to find if you went in knowing exactly what you were looking for.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2015, 2:24 AM
The Vomit Bag.

And Future Shop is now closed.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 1:04 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Wastemount Mall.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 11:33 AM

I miss Zellers. I agree that the stores could have used an overhaul with their inventory layout, but at least the products offered were in the store. I quickly became frustrated with Target when I showed up for something in the flyer that was nowhere to be found.

As far as for Target, it's all been said. We didn't get a Target, we got something different with the name Target and a bulls-eye slapped on it.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 5:20 PM
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
And Future Shop is now closed.
Future shop is now a past memory. Oh the irony.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haljackey View Post
Future shop is now a past memory. Oh the irony.
It was Best Buy's plan to shut FS down all along. First though, they wanted to saturate the market with both brands to put all the smaller players out of business. Now that that task is complete, there is little sense in having two stores that sell the exact same thing right across the road from one another. One brand, one flyer a week, etc.

I got my first sales job at FS when they were just starting out, and had to wear a suit every day to work. Kind of sad to see them go, but knew the writing was on the wall long ago.

As for Masonville and Target, etc. I wonder what they are going to fill all the empty space they have with. Some stores I would like to see at Masonville: H&M, Uniqlo, Pottery Barn, Urban Outfitters, better food selection would be nice too.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 2:09 AM
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatTallNorth2 View Post
It was Best Buy's plan to shut FS down all along. First though, they wanted to saturate the market with both brands to put all the smaller players out of business. Now that that task is complete, there is little sense in having two stores that sell the exact same thing right across the road from one another. One brand, one flyer a week, etc.
It's also getting leaner in order to tackle the world of online shopping like Amazon.

Just sucks both London stores are being shuttered. The north London Future Shop is still quite new and is a decent distance away from the Best Buy in Masonville.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 8:33 PM

Everything is now 70-80% off.. aka looks like a yard sale inside both stores

Masonville is very very empty...

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatTallNorth2 View Post

I got my first sales job at FS when they were just starting out, and had to wear a suit every day to work. Kind of sad to see them go, but knew the writing was on the wall long ago.

As for Masonville and Target, etc. I wonder what they are going to fill all the empty space they have with. Some stores I would like to see at Masonville: H&M, Uniqlo, Pottery Barn, Urban Outfitters, better food selection would be nice too.

Im pretty sure H&M and Zara are coming to Masonville in the old sears space (its being redeveloped) but it may change now and they could use the old target spot? who knows....

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 6:20 PM

Interesting article predicting big big box centres failing sooner the better my personal opinion they are blight on urban landscape.
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/03...n_6979974.html

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > London Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy