HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Asia-Pacific > Taiwan

Old Posted Jul 13, 2009, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen View Post
^ did they do enough testing before opening the whole line? It is from a different company (Bombardier for Neihu line instead of the original- Matra)

I know that in Vancouver, before the train cars can go into service, they must run as "ghost trains" (trains with no passengers and are driverless and runs and night [still stop at stations]) for 2,000 kilometres as part of their extensive testing before going into active service.
I think it is where the problem come from. They did not have enough testing.
However, it may be that company's fault....
Not sure about this incident

Old Posted Jul 13, 2009, 10:43 PM

Quote:
^ did they do enough testing before opening the whole line? It is from a different company (Bombardier for Neihu line instead of the original- Matra)

I know that in Vancouver, before the train cars can go into service, they must run as "ghost trains" (trains with no passengers and are driverless and runs and night [still stop at stations]) for 2,000 kilometres as part of their extensive testing before going into active service.
do the ghost riders pay ghost money to buy the ghost tokens to ride the ghost trains?

Old Posted Jul 14, 2009, 1:59 PM
(||||||-||||-||||||)

^ that's like a tongue twister ....

~ FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT

Last edited by metroXpress; Jul 15, 2009 at 12:39 AM. Reason: sp

Old Posted Jul 14, 2009, 2:02 PM
(||||||-||||-||||||)

Here's an English article from Taipei Times:

Quote:
TRTC promises review of Neihu Line
PUBLIC DOUBTS: The Neihu and Muzha lines resumed operation yesterday, but DPP lawmakers said the Neihu Line may follow in the footsteps of the Maokong Gondola
By Mo Yan-chih
STAFF REPORTER
Sunday, Jul 12, 2009, Page 1

Taipei Rapid Transit Corp (TRTC) and Taipei City’s Department of Rapid Transit Systems yesterday promised to review emergency response procedures following the shutdown of the MRT’s Muzha and Neihu lines on Friday, but failed to explain the reason behind the sudden power outage.

The two lines resumed operation at 6am yesterday after the service shut down at 3:30pm on Friday.

Twenty-one trains were running at the time when the power supply system malfunctioned, forcing 700 passengers to evacuate trains that were stuck between stations.

The department and the TRTC spent about 45 minutes locating the glitch in the system to start the backup power supply.

They did not evacuate the passengers until more than 20 minutes after the trains came to a halt. Frequent false alarms and malfunctions have hampered the the new Neihu Line’s operation since it opened to the public on July 4.

Department director Tom Chang (常歧德) yesterday said the shutdown on Friday was caused by the failure of an uninterruptible power supply system at Zhongshan Junior High School Station.

Chang and Chao Hsiung-fei (趙雄飛) yesterday apologized to the 700 passengers who were forced to walk down the elevated rail lines to return to station platforms after a number of trains stopped between stations.

They also promised to review the emergency response procedures and provide prompt assistance to passengers.

To compensate the passengers, Chao said the company had given those who were stuck between stations one-day free MRT and bus passes. Those who had taken the MRT between 3pm and 5pm on Friday were eligible to receive five free MRT passes by showing their EasyCards at any MRT station within one week.

Chang said the two companies were still working with the Neihu Line’s builder, Montreal-based Bombardier, to find out the reason behind the power outage, and will look into who should take responsibility after the cause of the outage is determined.

“I will step down if I should,” he said.

Taipei Mayor Hau Lung-bin (郝龍斌) yesterday said the city government would ask Bombardier for compensation if the company failed to solve the system malfunctions.

Later yesterday, Hau said Chang had offered his resignation to take responsibility for the incident, but added that he would not consider Chang’s resignation until the Neihu Line has stabilized. Despite the resumption of operations yesterday, some passengers decided to take free transit buses instead.

“The bus is free, and I don’t need to worry about the MRT being shut down again,” a male passenger said in front of the MRT’s Zhongxiao Fuxing Station yesterday.

Another passenger said she was concerned about the MRT service after Friday’s system shutdown, but she would continue to take it to get to her destination faster. Another resident took the MRT yesterday to the Sogo Department Store, but challenged the city government over the frequent malfunctions.

“The Neihu Line cost tax payers so much money to build, but has had so many malfunctions. The rights of passengers are not being protected,” she said.

At about 12:19pm yesterday, the doors of a train that stopped at Gangqian Station did not open, causing a 12-minute delay as a staffer was sent to open the doors by hand. Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) Taipei City councilors yesterday slammed the city government for its poor handling of the incident on Friday, saying authorities should fix the problems to prevent the Neihu Line from being suspended forever like the Maokong Gondola system.

DESIGN

“The design of the Neihu Line was problematic, but the city government rushed through the trial run and started operation without making sure the systems were stable,” DPP Taipei City Councilor Chuang Ruei-hsiung (莊瑞雄) said.

Chuang and DPP Taipei City Councilor Chien Yu-yen (簡余晏) asked President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) to share responsibility for the problematic line because as the former Taipei mayor, his administration had allowed contractors to choose a builder whose system was incompatible with the Muzha Line.

INSPECTION

Chien also demanded that the city government form a special team to inspect the system thoroughly.

The Neihu Line, which cost NT$60 billion (US$1.8 billion), could follow in the footsteps of the Gondola system if the city government fails to solve the system’s integration issues, she said.
This story has been viewed 999 times.
http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/fron.../12/2003448446

~ FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT

Old Posted Jul 15, 2009, 12:03 AM

Quote:
^ that's like a tounge twister ....
it's "tongue"!

Old Posted Jul 15, 2009, 12:39 AM
(||||||-||||-||||||)

^ bad typo/sp I know....

~ FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT

Old Posted Jul 24, 2009, 1:44 PM
(||||||-||||-||||||)

Quote:
City Announces Fare Discount for Muzha/Neihu Line Travels

2009-07-22 -- by Taipei City Government

Passengers taking the MRT Neihu Line and MRT Muzha Line will be receiving discounts on their fare between July 25 and the end of the year! Taipei Mayor announced the good news at the press conference following the city administration meeting on July 21.

With the new policy, individuals using their EasyCard to enter or exit any MRT station along the MRT Neihu Line or MRT Muzha Line (including MRT Zhongxiao Fuxing Station) will receive a 36 percent discount on their fare. In other words, travelers can save between NT$8 and NT$24 per trip.

According to Hau, the average daily passenger volume of the MRT Neihu/Muzha Line is approximately 260,000. The city government estimates that the new policy will save NT$200 million for passengers during the discount period.

In addition, the mayor noted that he has met with the vice president of Bombardier Transportation on July 20 and requested the company to stabilize the system of the MRT Neihu Line. Bombardier, the contracted firm who built the MRT Neihu Line, pointed out that there is no problem regarding the line's safety. The company also promised that system performance will achieve 99 percent reliability by November.

Regarding whether the City will seek compensation over the malfunctions of the MRT line, Hau stressed that the most important goal for the city government is to increase the reliability of the system. He has requested its agencies to compile all relevant data and evidences for possible compensation-seeking actions in the future.
http://www.trtc.com.tw/e/shownews1.asp?id=1853

They should really trust Bombardier....Vancouver never had an accident before since the opening in 1985...other than people jumping into the tracks

~ FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT

Old Posted Jul 24, 2009, 6:10 PM

I prefer the look of the old matra trains, but I hope that the bombardier trains ride better. Anyone been on them yet?

I was on one of these rubber tired trains in Japan and the ride was much better.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2009, 9:06 PM
(||||||-||||-||||||)

^ doesn't the Bombardier trains use the same VAL technology (rubber-tires) as the old Matra trains?

Haven't been on them yet~

~ FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 7:23 AM

The Matra ride is harsh, never liked them. I only had to take one station to transfer to the Nangang line though, fortunately. In the future I'll be able to take the XinYi line and totally avoid Muzha altogether!

I just heard on the news a couple days ago there was massive water leakage in the Bombardier trains, to the point where the floors of the trains were drenched. A passenger took videos with his cell phone. Talk about ridiculous. To cap it off, one of the station was also experiencing leaking problems, with the station flooded. People had to use umbrellas within the station.

The circular line kicked off this year, apparently the rolling stock is coming from AnsaldoBreda, anyone know about them?

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 9:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjl View Post

I just heard on the news a couple days ago there was massive water leakage in the Bombardier trains, to the point where the floors of the trains were drenched.
how could there be a water leakage inside a train? why would there be water in it?

Quote:
The circular line kicked off this year, apparently the rolling stock is coming from AnsaldoBreda, anyone know about them?
hope it looks better than the muzha/neihu trains or even the heavy capacity trains. all those train designs are bland and conventional.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2009, 2:45 PM
(||||||-||||-||||||)

Quote:

Yes it is...we finally have a different system from a different company. Very exciting! Will it be automated?

http://www.ansaldobredainc.com/

Heavy Rail
» ATLANTA
» LOS ANGELES
» WASHINGTON

Light Rail
» BOSTON
» CLEVELAND
» LOS ANGELES
» SAN FRANCISCO

We will be having a heavy rail system I believe.

I rode on the LA Metro Red Line before....it is old and from this company.

Razqal, I bet you rode it before??

~ FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT

Last edited by metroXpress; Aug 11, 2009 at 1:55 PM. Reason: sp

Old Posted Aug 10, 2009, 4:12 PM

why not just stay with kawasaki and avoid all the electrical problems that we're going to face due to introducting yet another system into our mrt?

Old Posted Aug 10, 2009, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed21x View Post
why not just stay with kawasaki and avoid all the electrical problems that we're going to face due to introducting yet another system into our mrt?
You'd like that wouldn't you? So would I. Japanese systems correspond to our Taiwan's geographical attributes. The Muzha Neihu line is a total fiasco, news of it keeps popping up. It's called "Bao-Zha" line now

By the way I got the news here,

http://rinsider.clubferoviar.ro/en/a...re.php?id=3606

Old Posted Aug 10, 2009, 11:15 PM

the Muzha/neihu line is going to be fine given time. Anyone remember the first few months of operations for the hsr? here in NY, we have line stoppages, delays, shut downs all the time, and everyone is simply use to it. let's just be happy that the mrt is expanding at a decent pace.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2009, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Yes it is...we finally have a different system from a different company. Very exciting! Will it be automated?

We will be having a heavy rail system I believe.

I rode on the LA Metro Red Line before....it is old and from this company.

Razqual, I bet you rode it before??
yes, the metro red line uses old cars. funny, cuz the LA system is relatively new.

and it's razqal, not razqual!!

Old Posted Aug 11, 2009, 1:56 PM
(||||||-||||-||||||)

^ changed it for ya~

Yea, I know, the red line is pretty new. I also rode the blue line...but that's a light rail...

~ FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT

Old Posted Aug 11, 2009, 2:01 PM
(||||||-||||-||||||)

Quote:
You'd like that wouldn't you? So would I. Japanese systems correspond to our Taiwan's geographical attributes. The Muzha Neihu line is a total fiasco, news of it keeps popping up. It's called "Bao-Zha" line now

By the way I got the news here,

http://rinsider.clubferoviar.ro/en/a...re.php?id=3606
How? Isn't geographic features the same when everthing is buried underground in a long concrete tube?

I personally think that both geographic attributes and weather shouldn't prevent the line from running smoothly.

The muzha/neihu line are elevated instead of underground where you can prevent the hot climate/humid temperatures. I don't see why it can't stand a storm or anything. Vancouver's SkyTrain uses Bombardier's ALRT and what do we do when it is snowing? We run those "ghost trains" all night...to keep the tracks warm.

~ FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT

Old Posted Aug 11, 2009, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed21x View Post
the Muzha/neihu line is going to be fine given time. Anyone remember the first few months of operations for the hsr? here in NY, we have line stoppages, delays, shut downs all the time, and everyone is simply use to it. let's just be happy that the mrt is expanding at a decent pace.
NY.....
I think Taipei MRT cannot compare with NY. The reason is Taipei MRT is much younger than NY one. They are in different age.

Taipei MRT has won the world best MRT system four times. But this time, the reputation is cracked. They must put more effort to solve these problems because MRT has been part of Taipei life.

Last edited by williamchung taiwan; Aug 12, 2009 at 1:58 AM.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2009, 2:37 PM
(||||||-||||-||||||)

^ and esp. the Muzha line because this is our oldest system in the whole network!!

~ FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Asia-Pacific > Taiwan