HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Dec 31, 2006, 9:51 AM
BANNED

I thought you lived in the USA.

But I think that's mainly because the Asian airlines are buying up 777s left and right from Boeing or are leasing tons of them from leasing co's.

They're doing the same thing with the 787 Dramliner as well.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2006, 3:40 PM
I'm one fathom tall

Location: Sicilia (Sicily) 6 months a year/ Texas 6 months a year
Most were new build 777. There are not to many 777s on the market at the moment and the demand is high. Continental alone wants 3-4 more and can't find them.

Having done all the Boeing 7 series the 707 and E-3 are still my favourite with most 777-300 configs a close second. When I fly to America most Euro routes are 757 and 767, which is not a bad thing per se but the jumbo magic is gone

Ciao, and Hook 'em Horns,
Capt-AWACS, Honk if you love Capt-AWACS

Io sempre voglio la fica della mia mogile.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2006, 5:15 PM
I'm Back!

Ahh, remember the old PanAm routes to Europe on the 742's?

Old Posted Dec 31, 2006, 5:44 PM
Trendy.

Well, I did the return CLE-BNA flight last night... only 40 people to Nashville. I enjoy these spacious flights.

I'm anxious to see how full the BNA-BHM flight I'm on is today.

DallasTexan-Boomer-DhallassTecksanne-Disceaux Fantasia-Sulley-Optimus Prime-Gloria Estefan

...and others I've surely forgotten...

Old Posted Dec 31, 2006, 5:53 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexy View Post
Ahh, remember the old PanAm routes to Europe on the 742's?

Those routes got sold to United, didn't they?

I think I remember United buying up a bunch of routes from them, along with two or more L-1011s.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2006, 6:47 PM
I'm Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquan13 View Post
Those routes got sold to United, didn't they?

I think I remember United buying up a bunch of routes from them, along with two or more L-1011s.

Yes sir they did. They now fly those flights out of ORD I believe, well what used to be those flights I assume.

Justin, you have to love those flights that are spacious, but keep in mind the time of the season you are flying too. Most people have returned home after the holidays. That may play some into the low numbers for those flights. As far as I know, operations out at the airport have now returned to pre-holiday levels.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2006, 7:11 PM
Trendy.

I thought people just didn't want to go to Cleveland

The BNA-BHM flight is usually *packed* so I probably won't have any room when I get on the plane in a couple hours.

DallasTexan-Boomer-DhallassTecksanne-Disceaux Fantasia-Sulley-Optimus Prime-Gloria Estefan

Old Posted Dec 31, 2006, 7:13 PM
I'm Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulley View Post
I thought people just didn't want to go to Cleveland

The BNA-BHM flight is usually *packed* so I probably won't have any room when I get on the plane in a couple hours.
It should be, that continues on to New Orleans. That's an odd flight too. BNA has direct, NON-STOP service to New Orleans and then the BHM flight continues on the New Orleans as well. How bizzare is that?

Old Posted Dec 31, 2006, 7:23 PM
Trendy.

SWA routed my mom through BHM when she met me down in Tampa a few months ago when I was on a business trip.

They do the same thing for flights to Orlando, Jacksonville, and several other Florida cities for flights originating in BNA as well. Weeeeird.

I myself prefer the nonstops, but hey, whatever gets ya there

Old Posted Dec 31, 2006, 7:27 PM
I'm Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulley View Post
SWA routed my mom through BHM when she met me down in Tampa a few months ago when I was on a business trip.

They do the same thing for flights to Orlando, Jacksonville, and several other Florida cities for flights originating in BNA as well. Weeeeird.

I myself prefer the nonstops, but hey, whatever gets ya there
I know that BNA is a "hub" (or Focus City, how ever you want to call it) for them in the southeast, but I never realized how many flights actually connect here in Nashville for people from places like Jacksonville and Raleigh for example.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2006, 7:30 PM
Trendy.

I just wish we'd get a nonstop BNA-BUF route. There's nonstop from BNA to eveywhere else, so why not Buffalo? It'd make my life a lot easier. lol

Old Posted Dec 31, 2006, 8:05 PM
I'm Back!

Well, there is currently a discussion on airliners.net about the lack of service Southwest has from here. Honestly, Nashville is underserved by Southwest and they know it. Too bad they aren't "man enough" to change it. LOL!!!

Old Posted Dec 31, 2006, 9:26 PM
BANNED

On the cable network channel that airs Airline, it's mainly about Southwest,
and from what I was watching on it, people who have flown it say that it's the worst airline around because they don't give a crap about the passengers and they're often treated like crap.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2006, 11:00 PM
Ku`u Lei

Southwest is great, never had a problem. Then again, they have a tremendous presence on the west coast. As an ex-UA employee, it's still hard to give them that credit but they've certainly proved their mettle time and again for three decades.

The plain truth is that passengers are often idiots. They expect all kinds of service from their rock bottom $79 fare and think airlines and pilots should be able to control the weather, ATC, the FAA, and whatever else have you. US carriers certainly have a bad rep because they lie to their customers too often in those situations but it does get pretty ugly in the trenches...sometimes it's hard to blame them.

At any rate daq, I live in Japan...left the US awhile back now.

Lexy, hope BNA gets more WN metal soon

Old Posted Dec 31, 2006, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquan13 View Post
On the cable network channel that airs Airline, it's mainly about Southwest,
and from what I was watching on it, people who have flown it say that it's the worst airline around because they don't give a crap about the passengers and they're often treated like crap.
I think most people that don't like Southwest don't like them because of the boarding process and no reserved seating. Their customer service is pretty good from my experience.

I did have an incident with them once and wrote a letter to them. They responded quickly with an apology, a personal booking agent, and a $500 credit to use with the personal booking agent.

You know, at certain times of the day if you take the train out to one of the Chicago airports your train car can be mostly pilots & crew, TSA, and other airport employees. After hearing many of them talk, Southwest appears to be a target employer for a lot of the pilots. Interesting, eh?

Old Posted Dec 31, 2006, 11:22 PM
I'm Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_b View Post
Southwest appears to be a target employer for a lot of the pilots. Interesting, eh?

Unless you have tenure as a ramp agent for a Legacy carrier, ask any ramp worker and they will agree. Southwest ramp workers are treated, for the most part, like gold. I have heard the same as you have about the work experience for them.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2006, 11:23 PM
Inflatable Hippo

I love them, but the boarding system at Southwest is a disaster - and odds are pretty good you will get stuck next to a member of a white trash family who got broken up in the process and is screaming at one another across the plane.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2006, 11:26 PM
E pluribus unum

Southwest has by far the best customer service of any airline I've encountered, and I continue to fly with them despite the numerous and insufferably long delays I've encountered on my SoCal-PHX routes over the years.

And I love flying with "white trash." It makes the flights that much more entertaining.

Then again, I'm from Ohio, so that might explain that.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2007, 12:16 AM
I'm Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Native 001 View Post

Then again, I'm from Ohio, so that might explain that.
Ohio doesn't have White Trash? LOL!! Serisouly though, WN isn't that bad if you just want to save some cash and get to where you need to go fairly quick.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2007, 1:22 AM
Inflatable Hippo

I just wish they had more direct service out of SNA - although I understand all too well that the newport beach assholes have put an end to that posibility for the forseeable future.

Give me SNA-SEA and I will personally deliver them the head of Jim Wright!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation