HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jul 10, 2020, 1:54 AM

Its been two years since I have heard anything new on the Trolley Square redevelopment. https://www.buildingsaltlake.com/big...rolley-square/

So, do you think its cancelled or is it just taking a long time to implement?

Old Posted Jul 10, 2020, 5:38 AM
SLC Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatman View Post
My Rio Grande proposal is finished!

Still a rough draft though, and I may have overdone it. 61 pages and 10,000 words (lots of pictures too!).

Anyway, here's the link for y'all to peruse it at your leisure - and as always, all feedback is highly appreciated.
Hat I gotta say this is somewhat of a masterpiece. Love to see this happen. Would also love to see some connection to Euclid. I think that side of the tracks could be our next big revival good. HOW DO WE PUSH THIS IDEA?

Old Posted Jul 10, 2020, 11:53 AM

Atlas, Where is that photo you posted a couple of days ago of 95 So. State with the steel beams beginning to rise?

Old Posted Jul 10, 2020, 2:14 PM
Space Magi

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Atlas, Where is that photo you posted a couple of days ago of 95 So. State with the steel beams beginning to rise?
I haven't posted a picture of 95 State since late June. Makid posted a link to the webcams yesterday that, at the time, showed some steel at the base. This is what the camera view is right now:

I will capture one today when the camera is zoomed on 95 State.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2020, 3:17 PM

I'll move the camera now. The weather people decide they want the sky or something when I'm not here.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2020, 3:48 PM
Space Magi

Ah great! Here you go, delts:

Old Posted Jul 10, 2020, 5:44 PM

LOL...Oops, Sorry Atlas. I thought it was you who posted that. Thanks though for the repost. Much appreciated.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2020, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbutah View Post
I'll move the camera now. The weather people decide they want the sky or something when I'm not here.
Who the hell cares about a sky cam? Just look out the window.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2020, 8:24 PM

The city has been working on changing the city flag this year. Today they released the final 8 designs for public review. I am sad that the design I submitted didn't make the cut but I think any of these designs would be a major improvement over the current flag and I would be proud to fly most of them.

I am actually very excited about this. I think, if this is done right, having a flag citizens are willing to fly and put on t shirts, post cards, etc could create a stronger sense of community and place.

https://www.buildingsaltlake.com/sal...w-flag-design/

Old Posted Jul 10, 2020, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC14 View Post
The city has been working on changing the city flag this year. Today they released the final 8 designs for public review. I am sad that the design I submitted didn't make the cut but I think any of these designs would be a major improvement over the current flag and I would be proud to fly most of them.

I am actually very excited about this. I think, if this is done right, having a flag citizens are willing to fly and put on t shirts, post cards, etc could create a stronger sense of community and place.

Now time to do the same for the awful Utah state flag. It would be nice to have a flag to be proud of like CO, Wyoming, AZ, and New Mexico do.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2020, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC14 View Post

I don't love any of the eight, but at least four of them are better than what we have. And I think only two of them had me saying "what the fuck?" out loud.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2020, 2:19 AM
One Thing At A Time

My thoughts on flags are I’m kind of over the honeycomb but it is probably the best symbol we’ve got. I think the mountains are heavy handed but again justified. Some flags do a better job than others of using them. Think it’s funny that some tried to sneak in BYU blue. One color scheme is a direct rip off of the Chicago flag but I like its design. Like that one flag referenced the original color scheme. Would be happy with three of the designs. Okay with three more and totally bummed by the others.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2020, 2:35 AM

Most will probably disagree but I think the simple white over blue flag is my favorite. White=salt, blue=lake. Salt Lake. It's simple, makes sense and there are no unnecessary elements. The honey comb designs are right below that IMO but I think honeycombs are really a Utah symbol not a SLC symbol. Mountains can work but they are too cliche for mountain cities. The blue flag with white stencil mountains is probably my least favorite. Nothing about it says "Salt Lake City" to me.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2020, 4:56 AM

Went Walking aroung downtown tonight and got some new angles of the site. It is starting become part of the skyline.

[IMG]20200710_193536 by Tariq Abou-bakr, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]20200710_194637 by Tariq Abou-bakr, on Flickr[/IMG]

Last edited by taboubak; Jul 11, 2020 at 5:07 AM.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2020, 4:59 AM

[IMG]20200710_193903 by Tariq Abou-bakr, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Jul 11, 2020, 5:34 AM

Wow. Those are all terrible. It's like an elementary school kid design competition. It's way too basic. Where's the richness and beauty?

Old Posted Jul 11, 2020, 5:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Wow. Those are all terrible. It's like an elementary school kid design competition. It's way too basic. Where's the richness and beauty?
Agreed. I'm beginning to think the problem with SLC's history with flags isn't in the quality of the hundreds of submissions - its in the selection committee.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2020, 6:52 AM

I don't particularly care for most of them either, but they're all better than what we currently have lol.

If I were to pick it would be the one with the mountains and the single star, but why is the single star off to the side instead of in the middle?

Beehives and sego lilies are terrible choices to represent Salt Lake City. Those are state symbols, not city symbols.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2020, 9:02 AM

The only flag design I had any liking for was the one with the seven pointed star. The rest were meh or downright terrible. The mountain and honey comb designs were the worst IMO, so obvious and over-used. Every dentist’s office emblem in the state has those three point mountains, and the honey combs are unique to Utah, but not at all to Salt Lake City. The white and blue bars design... while I get the symbolism, just comes off as lazy and boring. The city’s current flag is pretty shit, so anything different is an improvement. At least we don’t have Provo’s flag.. so bad it’s great.

The state flag is awful. That needs an immediate change.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2020, 4:03 PM

I agree that none of the designs are quite what they need to be but I don't believe any of them are too simple. I would even argue that at least a couple are too complex. Think about some of the most iconic flags in the world. They are almost all simpler than any but one of these designs. For example, Japan, Germany, Switzerland, England, France, the PRIDE flag etc. A good flag should be able to be drawn by a small child from memory. I think adding one too many details can be the difference between a flag that people put on tshirts, bikinis, beach towels, post cards, etc and one that you only see in government buildings and wikipedia articles.

One of the things I don't like about most of these designs is the color scheme. Many of them use softer, less common colors and I think it would be best to stick to basic, more bold colors unless the color has special meaning for example copper.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West