HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Aug 10, 2013, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichTempe View Post
I've walked by that lot at night and the space under the sidewalks on Central and Pierce is lit up. I've been by there at different times and sometimes the lights are on and others not. Here are some pics I took tonight around 10:30.
Yep, one of the articles I posted mentions the city adding lights beneath the glass blocks to illuminate the sidewalk.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2013, 9:36 PM

Duplicate Message

Old Posted Aug 12, 2013, 9:36 PM

Taylor Place is still overbooked by 57 students.

Source: http://downtowndevil.com/2013/08/12/...o-overbooking/

Old Posted Aug 13, 2013, 2:00 PM

University of Arizona graduates first Phoenix nursing students

Quote:
The University of Arizona has graduated the first class from its College of Nursing campus in Phoenix.

Sixteen students received Master of Science degrees for Entry to the Profession of Nursing (MEPN).

MEPN is an accelerated nursing program for students with a non-nursing baccalaureate degree who would like to become registered nurses.

One class is admitted each year, with students beginning the 15-month program in May and completing it the following year in August.

The fast-track program takes a solid step toward bridging the shortage of qualified nurses in the market.

It is the only program of its kind in Arizona, said Terry A. Badger, professor and director of the Community & Systems Health Science Division at the UA College of Nursing.

“Students in the master entry to professional nursing program already have university degrees in other fields, and bring depth and breadth from their previous careers to nursing. MEPN graduates are going to be our future leaders and change agents in health care,” Badger said.

The first Phoenix graduates hold degrees that include veterinary science, education, anthropology, exercise science, law, philosophy, biology and anatomy.

For the first two years, the Phoenix-based MEPN program is being supported by the Arizona Area Health Education Centers, which is directed by Sally J. Reel, associate dean of academic practice in the UA College of Nursing.

Maricopa Integrated Healthcare System was pivotal in helping establish the Phoenix MEPN program and serves as the major clinical practice site. Students also learned nursing skills in several other Phoenix-area health care agencies.
Now lets get the ASU law school downtown.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2013, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw252 View Post
The fast-track program takes a solid step toward bridging the shortage of qualified nurses in the market.
It is the only program of its kind in Arizona, said Terry A. Badger, professor and director of the Community & Systems Health Science Division at the UA College of Nursing.
"Fast-track" UofA Nursing grads? Can I get a list of hospitals where these UofA grads are going to be working so I can avoid them!

Old Posted Aug 13, 2013, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxSUNSfan View Post
"Fast-track" UofA Nursing grads? Can I get a list of hospitals where these UofA grads are going to be working so I can avoid them!

These programs are quite common. It is not just a two year degree, since everyone who enters has obtained a bachelors degree, most people I know who have done these sort of programs did some sort of pre-med degree. And, most nurses learn most of their skills on the job, rather than in a classroom. So no need to fear, even if they are being educated by the U of A.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2013, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arquitect View Post
These programs are quite common. It is not just a two year degree, since everyone who enters has obtained a bachelors degree, most people I know who have done these sort of programs did some sort of pre-med degree. And, most nurses learn most of their skills on the job, rather than in a classroom. So no need to fear, even if they are being educated by the U of A.
Was mostly being facetious, but the first strike was them being UA grads.

Not sure if you read the description correctly, but this type of program is NOT common. It's the first of its kind in Arizona and it doesn't sound like most of the graduates are from pre-med programs. Most are graduates with bachelor degrees in other fields, and I quote: "MEPN is an accelerated nursing program for students with a non-nursing baccalaureate degree who would like to become registered nurses...The first Phoenix graduates hold degrees that include veterinary science, education, anthropology, exercise science, law, philosophy, biology and anatomy."

I guess the grads with degrees in veterinary science, biology and anatomy would know more about the basics regarding the body and its processes. I'm a little "old fashioned" when it comes to the proper instruction of our medical professionals. But hey, sounds like an interesting program. If I get bored with the business world I guess I have another option now!

Last edited by phxSUNSfan; Aug 13, 2013 at 5:52 PM.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2013, 9:28 PM

More photos of The Y @ ASU and ASU College of Nursing and Health Innovation and ASU School of Nutrition and Health Promotion labs

An indoor track circles the new gym

Rooftop pool

View of Civic Space and the campus

Old Posted Aug 14, 2013, 4:04 AM
BANNED

The trees at the park are filling in nicely.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2013, 5:02 PM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo the Dog View Post
The trees at the park are filling in nicely.
indeed! Does anyone know what variety they are? I like them a lot. I think someone said before, but I forget.

VV Thanks! I thought thats what it might be.

Last edited by HooverDam; Aug 14, 2013 at 8:59 PM.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2013, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooverDam View Post
indeed! Does anyone know what variety they are? I like them a lot. I think someone said before, but I forget.
Fan-tex Ash. Absolutely fantastic tree.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 4:56 AM

Tree at Civic Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
Fan-tex Ash. Absolutely fantastic tree.
If those trees qualify and can appease the save the water crowd plant those suckers everywhere in Phoenix. Give a brother some shade! If they don't qualify plant them at minimum in key downtown park areas anyway like Hance Park and adjacent to sidewalks etc.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 5:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixwillrise View Post
If those trees qualify and can appease the save the water crowd plant those suckers everywhere in Phoenix. Give a brother some shade! If they don't qualify plant them at minimum in key downtown park areas anyway like Hance Park and adjacent to sidewalks etc.
I do believe these trees, or similar trees, are all over Hance. I don't think the city can plant trees in the middle of the park because it is built on a structure that won't support trees and their deeper roots.

Last edited by phxSUNSfan; Aug 18, 2013 at 1:36 AM.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2013, 11:36 PM

The YMCA extension looks much better as construction wraps up. I was getting worried for a while with all the different materials, but luckily most of it seems to have been protection/covering of the glass or other surfaces.

Still not my favorite building- should've been taller, multi-use and much simpler from a design standpoint. In 10 years, an assortment of these squatty attempts at modern/cutting-edge design will be nothing more than out-dated symbols of the shortsightedness of 2010+ design trends. Block 12 at 5/6 stories was barely acceptable for Tempe; a similar-sized building along one of Phoenix's 3 main drags (1st-1st-Central) is, well.... whatever, it's done.

I do love the street frontage and expansive windows along the 2nd/3rd floors. Terrible photo, but nobody has posted one of its nearly-finished state, so what the heck:

Old Posted Aug 18, 2013, 2:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxSUNSfan View Post
Those kids get to live at the Westin!?! Nice! Also good to hear the dorms are at capacity. Sounds like they need to build another dorm. I wonder how Roosevelt Point is doing?
I think it is excellent idea. They will build more new dorms. This is right choice. They need more space. Because they do not have enough room.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2013, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjs5056 View Post
I do love the street frontage and expansive windows along the 2nd/3rd floors. Terrible photo, but nobody has posted one of its nearly-finished state, so what the heck:
Thanks for the picture, it's hard to get a good one of that building from a car. It's been too hot for me to walk or ride my bike down there lately, I'll have to take a trek soon.

I also agree with you, it's looking a lot better than I expected. Still not a fan of the architecture and I think in 10 years people will wonder what we were thinking but I guess we're stuck with it.

Also, I drove by the Sheriff's office yesterday. It's looking nice too. Lots of glass. Much better than the Y.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2013, 3:48 AM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
I can't recall, when is the opening date for the extension of the Y?

Old Posted Aug 19, 2013, 3:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooverDam View Post
I can't recall, when is the opening date for the extension of the Y?
They said at the front desk today that it will be open to members starting at 1pm on Tuesday.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2013, 5:20 PM

Surprised to hear negative comments on the architecture of the YMCA. I think it compliments the old YMCA in a display of past and present architecture. Taller is always better downtown but at least its modern. I think it will look great and interesting 10 years from now.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2013, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUSunDevil View Post
Surprised to hear negative comments on the architecture of the YMCA. I think it compliments the old YMCA in a display of past and present architecture. Taller is always better downtown but at least its modern. I think it will look great and interesting 10 years from now.
I too am a big fan of the design, but aesthetics is in the eye of the beholder, so to each their own. I like that at least it is trying to make a statement and not be just a boring box.

I hope the parking lot to the south of it gets filled. It is a tight squeeze, and would undoubtedly have big challenges, but being right next to light rail, the Y, and in the middle of ASU downtown, it would be a great location for a slender residential tower.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest