HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs

Old Posted May 6, 2019, 9:36 PM

How in God's name are they funding this?

Old Posted May 6, 2019, 10:18 PM

I assumed they meant boutique in the sense of being independent/not part of a major chain.

Old Posted May 6, 2019, 10:20 PM

Also, why do hotel rooms in a Nova Scotia climate require balconies?!

Old Posted May 6, 2019, 11:38 PM
Halifax Promoter!

It would make sense that maybe the first so many floors will be the "Boutique" hotel and the upper floors apartments....

Old Posted May 7, 2019, 12:48 AM

I'll call my contact and see what I can find out

Originally they were only 5 floors but maybe things have changed

Old Posted May 7, 2019, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
Because... summer?

Old Posted May 7, 2019, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalNinja View Post
The amount of people visiting for businesses and companies is insane and there is a huge market for that. The 4 or 5 hotels in Burnside are an example to that. Also if Bayers lake gets a lot more outlet shops there will be a lot more people wanting to stay in the area coming from places that are a days drive away.
Right... business hotel, not boutique hotel. I tend to think of them as very different types of hotels with different experiences for guests.

Old Posted May 7, 2019, 11:52 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but due to the elevation in Bayer's Lake, this would be one of the most visible buildings in HRM if built as rendered. You can already see nearby Grandhaven Estates from all over.
Would stick out like a sore thumb in more ways than just its immediate surroundings.

Old Posted May 8, 2019, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoshanMcG View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but due to the elevation in Bayer's Lake, this would be one of the most visible buildings in HRM if built as rendered. You can already see nearby Grandhaven Estates from all over.
Would stick out like a sore thumb in more ways than just its immediate surroundings.
There should also be a spectacular view all the way out the harbor. I love it when on a sunny day you round the bend on the BiHi and there is the city for just a brief second. I would be tempted to rent an upper room just to see the view

Old Posted May 8, 2019, 1:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveHalifax View Post
There should also be a spectacular view all the way out the harbor. I love it when on a sunny day you round the bend on the BiHi and there is the city for just a brief second. I would be tempted to rent an upper room just to see the view
Just make reservations in that restaurant in the crown!

Old Posted May 8, 2019, 4:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
Fire regs, I think.

Old Posted May 9, 2019, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrynorthend View Post
Just make reservations in that restaurant in the crown!
I have to admit, a top-floor restaurant would be cool, though I'd prefer one in the downtown (on top of the Nova Centre, for example). This sounds like it could have an amazing view, though, if it will be as tall as indicated.

Old Posted May 21, 2019, 1:37 AM

I went to this site over the weekend.

The hotel is branded as a Choice Hotel Ascent Collection. The renderings are of the real building and there are currently digging a deep hole presumably for many levels of parking. It shows a 600 person convention centre and I counted 28 FLOORS which for a hotel would be 105-110 METRES. This would be taller than The Vuze and rivals the proposed King's Wharf Signature Tower. Who would of thought the tallest building in Halifax would be in Bayers Lake?

Ascend Hotels are a small brand in Canada but are a global luxury brand. 13 locations in Canada including Inn on the Lake in Fall River. They specialize in boutique hotels in trendy, downtown locations with some subrban locations. No hotels appear to be of this scale that is shown in Bayers Lake.

Halifax Developments Blog (Photo by David Jackson)

Old Posted May 21, 2019, 2:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
I went to this site over the weekend.

The hotel is branded as a Choice Hotel Ascent Collection. The renderings are of the real building and there are currently digging a deep hole presumably for many levels of parking. It shows a 600 person convention centre and I counted 28 FLOORS which for a hotel would be 105-110 METRES. This would be taller than The Vuze and rivals the proposed King's Wharf Signature Tower. Who would of thought the tallest building in Halifax would be in Bayers Lake?

Ascend Hotels are a small brand in Canada but are a global luxury brand. 13 locations in Canada including Inn on the Lake in Fall River. They specialize in boutique hotels in trendy, downtown locations with some subrban locations. No hotels appear to be of this scale that is shown in Bayers Lake.

Halifax Developments Blog (Photo by David Jackson)
Thanks for digging out that info... from the Choice/Ascend website:
Quote:
Historic, boutique and one of a kind—these are the qualities you can expect from our Ascend Hotel Collection® portfolio. Ascend® hotels are woven into the culture and fabric of their communities, featuring art and amenities that put local flavor first.
I guess the local flavour here is big box shopping?

Old Posted May 21, 2019, 11:55 PM

Has there been any activity on site lately? It's hard to see past the hoarding, but I never see activity when I drive by.

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 12:51 AM
Volatile Pacivist

So the tallest building in the Maritimes is going to be in Bayers Lake?? Stupid.

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
So the tallest building in the Maritimes is going to be in Bayers Lake?? Stupid.
Since Fenwick Tower is 33 stories it’s not clear that this still-vaguely defined hotel will be taller. But the market for a hotel of this size in that location seems dubious to me.

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ns_kid View Post
Since Fenwick Tower is 33 stories it’s not clear that this still-vaguely defined hotel will be taller. But the market for a hotel of this size in that location seems dubious to me.
Perhaps tied to expected demand from the new hospital? Would be curious what kind of strain VG puts on downtown hotels, if any.

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 1:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdufton View Post
Perhaps tied to expected demand from the new hospital? Would be curious what kind of strain VG puts on downtown hotels, if any.
It’s a good point. The new Bayers Lake health centre will be near the Chain Lake/Susie Lake intersection, I’m guessing with access directly to Horseshoe Lake, so close enough. But that is an outpatient facility only. While there will undoubtedly be some out-of-towners who need overnight stays, I suspect the numbers looking for upscale accommodations on any given night will be few.

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 5:05 PM
Halifax Promoter!

Also, I have heard rumours of Premium Outlets going up in that area....

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs