HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Nov 4, 2016, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziobrop View Post
thanks.
You are welcome.
The prof was terrible, no clue as to the limited options and knew nothing of the topography of the harbour perimeter and knew nothing of the harbour depth.
Hope you like the link, a great reference tool for the future.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2016, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Since I'm quoted in the article, I posted additional thoughts Here: http://blog.halifaxshippingnews.ca/2...bably-not.html

TLDR: dartmouth is a non starter. Halterm is not the entire south end complex - only the end container bit. ceres is screwed.

The southern end of Robie and environs has some of the most expensive homes in Halifax. Good luck having those influential owners allowing trucks and buses to penetrate their south-end solitude.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2016, 2:48 PM
armchairitect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
The southern end of Robie and environs has some of the most expensive homes in Halifax. Good luck having those influential owners allowing trucks and buses to penetrate their south-end solitude.
well we told them to pound sand when the rail cut went through...
fwiw, id send the trucks through the cut from robie to the port, not on surface streets. most people wouldnt notice them.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2016, 3:44 PM

Quote:
well we told them to pound sand when the rail cut went through...
fwiw, id send the trucks through the cut from robie to the port, not on surface streets. most people wouldnt notice them.

That would be the best solution for everybody except that cut is CN land and CN competes with the trucks for business at the port, so it will unfortunately never happen.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2016, 8:10 PM
armchairitect

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtown View Post
That would be the best solution for everybody except that cut is CN land and CN competes with the trucks for business at the port, so it will unfortunately never happen.
no it doesn't. 80% containers move by rail. 20% by truck.
that 20% is mostly local maritime delivery - which CN cant do. the port probably has enough sway with CN to get that short leg of the cut reconfigured to do both.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2016, 8:19 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
no it doesn't. 80% containers move by rail. 20% by truck.
that 20% is mostly local maritime delivery - which CN cant do. the port probably has enough sway with CN to get that short leg of the cut reconfigured to do both.
And if this ever happens, you will never see commuter rail to the peninsula from the suburban reaches of HRM.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2016, 6:13 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Personally, I do think the Dartmouth proposal is a good idea. I just think it would face a lot of opposition, because it's hard to get people to support something that achieves a net regional benefit if the problems it would solve would be somewhere else, the problems it would be creating would local, even if they would be smaller or affect fewer people. The locals would not accept giving something up if they're not getting something directly in return.

Sometimes the region just has to tell locals "Well thems the breaks" because sometimes that's the only way to achieve a net benefit. But of course that's easy for me to say since the proposal wouldn't affect me since I'm not living close to the tracks.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2016, 7:51 PM
armchairitect

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
And if this ever happens, you will never see commuter rail to the peninsula from the suburban reaches of HRM.
no - there plenty of room there for both for the short leg. more then half the railcut space is unused there.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2018, 5:00 PM

Or maybe not. From Ziobrop:

https://blog.halifaxshippingnews.ca/...sion-plan.html

I think the mention of a cruise ship berth in Dartmouth is a bit of a stretch.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2018, 5:24 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Somebody was complaining about how much of an annoyance it was that the regular cruise terminal closed down for a while and the passengers had to take a bus from farther south in the seaport area. It really sucks to arrive at a cruise terminal in the middle. You don't want to lose an hour or two out of a tight schedule, nor do you want your cruise to turn into daily bus commutes. In practice people stay on the ship when they get tired of that and the ports lose out.

They also mention having truck traffic leave the metro area or province completely which seems wrong. Why would the Port of Halifax want to give up on that related economic activity? What's the holdup with building a transfer facility along a rail line somewhere in the area, like in Burnside as they mention? That plan has been talked about for ages with no progress.

They could also build a facility around Rocky Lake Dr in Bedford near where the two lines meet.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2018, 7:22 PM
armchairitect

Quote:
Or maybe not. From Ziobrop:

https://blog.halifaxshippingnews.ca/...sion-plan.html

well, if they fill in the finger piers, then there goes the over flow capacity.
imagine the CN Wharf being reconstructed - like a smaller Canada Place in Vancouver. (Cant find a handy photo, but that was the name for the thing sticking out between Alderny and the Macdonald bridge, before it was infilled.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2018, 10:11 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
well, if they fill in the finger piers, then there goes the over flow capacity.
imagine the CN Wharf being reconstructed - like a smaller Canada Place in Vancouver. (Cant find a handy photo, but that was the name for the thing sticking out between Alderny and the Macdonald bridge, before it was infilled.
The cities are closer in terms of number of cruise passengers than I would have expected. 900,000 for Vancouver and 300,000 for Halifax. I wonder what the passenger counts were like in the 1980's when Canada Place was built?

Canada Place is also a hotel and convention space (now kind of like the WTCC in Halifax, assuming it's still used; a newer convention centre was built for 2010).

Note of course that Canada Place is pretty much ground zero in downtown Vancouver, not in North Vancouver somewhere.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2018, 1:53 PM
armchairitect

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
The cities are closer in terms of number of cruise passengers than I would have expected. 900,000 for Vancouver and 300,000 for Halifax. I wonder what the passenger counts were like in the 1980's when Canada Place was built?

Canada Place is also a hotel and convention space (now kind of like the WTCC in Halifax, assuming it's still used; a newer convention centre was built for 2010).

Note of course that Canada Place is pretty much ground zero in downtown Vancouver, not in North Vancouver somewhere.
yes. I didnt mean an exact reproduction with hotel and convention space - probably a cruise terminal and shops. but its close to the ferry, there is land for tour operators near by, and downtown dartmouth is becoming more of a place worth visiting.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Business, Politics & the Economy