HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Feb 5, 2021, 5:57 PM

I typically find myself on the pro-cycling side of things, though I also feel that a balanced approach is important, i.e. I'm all for 'good' cycling infrastructure that accomplishes the goal of providing safe cycling access in busy/dangerous areas of the city. I would really prefer that cycling infrastructure budget is targeted to the areas that really need it.

I'm going to try to be diplomatic here, but to me this looks like one of those projects that looks good on paper but doesn't really accomplish a lot over the existing situation. In other words, it looks great to be able to put it on a pretty map that shows an uninterrupted green line from the Dillman park/Dartmouth common through to Chrichton Ave, but in actuality it's not doing much other than inconveniencing residents who use the street for parking, either for themselves or visitors.

I will qualify my comments below by saying that it's been many years since I lived there, so if things have changed feel free to chime in. However, any time that I've driven through there recently it looks like nothing much has changed since then.

As a former resident who was a regular cyclist at the time, Dahlia was never an issue for cycling, with cars parked on both sides of the street. There wasn't much traffic there, and speeds were low. The only issue could be getting across Maple as it was/is a busy thoroughfare. Victoria could be busy in the south to north direction during the afternoon rush hour as well.

So, at most, I would think that all the cycling infrastructure needed along that street would be a signalled crossing at Victoria, as Maple already has a signalled crosswalk at Dahlia. Wiping out parking along one side of Dahlia, just so cyclists can have a clean-looking lane specifically laid out for them seems a little ridiculous on a street that doesn't have significant car traffic, so to me it seems like a little gingerbread that looks nice to cycling activists, but really doesn't accomplish much, except to inconvenience residents of the street.

The sidewalk along Oak and presumably the north side of Dahlia from Beech to Crichton will be nice, but I never saw its omission to be a problem when I lived there, as it was never a 'dangerous' area to walk in... but new sidewalks are always a nice bonus for sure. I have to say that I smirked a little when I read that this area is a "total mess"... but I'll chalk that up to subjectivity.

But a lot can change over the years, and maybe that neighbourhood has become an area of traffic chaos. I'll leave that up to Colin to bring us up to date if he wishes.

To sum up my opinion, this project looks like a great PR win for council and the cycling activists, but is mostly a waste of money that, IMHO, would be better spent on improving cycling infrastructure elsewhere, where it would have a real impact on safety for cyclists.

As a side thought, I'm a little curious as to the real benefits regarding accessibility for wheelchair users. I say that because the sidewalks should be OK for their use - if I were in a wheelchair I really wouldn't want to be dicing with cyclists in the bicycle lanes. Otherwise that area (like the sidewalk next to 1 Oak St.) has many steep grades that make wheelchair access challenging, and in some cases, dangerous. So I fail to see how this is improving things for wheelchair users, though I am open to any thoughts by anybody who has personal experience in that regard.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2021, 6:05 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
It seems to me some interim measures to try to improve the crossing spots on Maple, Pine and perhaps Victoria should have been done first to see what differences they might make and how well they would work, rather than jumping in with both feet as it seems we are now going to have to pay for.
Much of the project is just intersection upgrades and a sidewalk. Just a “local street bikeway” which is more or less crosswalk bumpouts and sharrows. Same as Vernon, same as what’s proposed for Isleville, Maynard and Creighton.

I usually take this route when biking up to Shubie and it’s a huge time-saver vs. going down and around Alderney or fighting traffic up Ochterloney. The benefit I see is the crossing from Dahlia to Sullivan’s as it’s one of HRMs many awkward spots that separate otherwise decent biking routes.

Keep in mind that most of these projects are built not for the confident cyclists already out there but for the “interested but hesitant” crowd that wouldn’t mind biking if navigating so many roads and intersections on two wheels wasn’t such a pain.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2021, 7:03 PM

Quote:
The other interesting thing I noted is that as proposed, it actually enters the Common in the cemetery section off Victoria. Today the gates were open and there was a ceremony of some sort taking place right along the edge of that path. I cannot see that being a very good place for a bikeway if that takes place very often.
That gate is actually always open, and the path is heavily used by pedestrians and cyclists. In fact, it would be easy for a pedestrian to be run over by a cyclist there - some cyclists tend to fly along that path with no warning and I've had several near-collisions there while walking myself.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2021, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atbw View Post
The benefit I see is the crossing from Dahlia to Sullivan’s as it’s one of HRMs many awkward spots that separate otherwise decent biking routes.
Interesting observation. I've cycled and walked there all my life and have never - never - found crossing from Dahlia to the pond "awkward" in the least.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2021, 7:40 PM
Somewhat Pretentious

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
I typically find myself on the pro-cycling side of things, though I also feel that a balanced approach is important, i.e. I'm all for 'good' cycling infrastructure that accomplishes the goal of providing safe cycling access in busy/dangerous areas of the city. I would really prefer that cycling infrastructure budget is targeted to the areas that really need it.

I'm going to try to be diplomatic here, but to me this looks like one of those projects that looks good on paper but doesn't really accomplish a lot over the existing situation. In other words, it looks great to be able to put it on a pretty map that shows an uninterrupted green line from the Dillman park/Dartmouth common through to Chrichton Ave, but in actuality it's not doing much other than inconveniencing residents who use the street for parking, either for themselves or visitors.

I will qualify my comments below by saying that it's been many years since I lived there, so if things have changed feel free to chime in. However, any time that I've driven through there recently it looks like nothing much has changed since then.

As a former resident who was a regular cyclist at the time, Dahlia was never an issue for cycling, with cars parked on both sides of the street. There wasn't much traffic there, and speeds were low. The only issue could be getting across Maple as it was/is a busy thoroughfare. Victoria could be busy in the south to north direction during the afternoon rush hour as well.

So, at most, I would think that all the cycling infrastructure needed along that street would be a signalled crossing at Victoria, as Maple already has a signalled crosswalk at Dahlia. Wiping out parking along one side of Dahlia, just so cyclists can have a clean-looking lane specifically laid out for them seems a little ridiculous on a street that doesn't have significant car traffic, so to me it seems like a little gingerbread that looks nice to cycling activists, but really doesn't accomplish much, except to inconvenience residents of the street.

The sidewalk along Oak and presumably the north side of Dahlia from Beech to Crichton will be nice, but I never saw its omission to be a problem when I lived there, as it was never a 'dangerous' area to walk in... but new sidewalks are always a nice bonus for sure. I have to say that I smirked a little when I read that this area is a "total mess"... but I'll chalk that up to subjectivity.

But a lot can change over the years, and maybe that neighbourhood has become an area of traffic chaos. I'll leave that up to Colin to bring us up to date if he wishes.

To sum up my opinion, this project looks like a great PR win for council and the cycling activists, but is mostly a waste of money that, IMHO, would be better spent on improving cycling infrastructure elsewhere, where it would have a real impact on safety for cyclists.

As a side thought, I'm a little curious as to the real benefits regarding accessibility for wheelchair users. I say that because the sidewalks should be OK for their use - if I were in a wheelchair I really wouldn't want to be dicing with cyclists in the bicycle lanes. Otherwise that area (like the sidewalk next to 1 Oak St.) has many steep grades that make wheelchair access challenging, and in some cases, dangerous. So I fail to see how this is improving things for wheelchair users, though I am open to any thoughts by anybody who has personal experience in that regard.
Interesting thoughts, worth quoting the entire post for sure. I think the advantage of quiet streets is that they’re safe without lanes. Perhaps Dahlia was targeted since it was thought of as a direct route between disjointed parks, but compared to Ochterloney it isn’t if heading downtown. If I’m not mistaken the proposed north end cycling network entails more traffic calming at intersections and redirecting bicycle traffic onto quiet backstreets yet few new bike lanes. Personally I would rather see lanes on the more direct Agricola route but that’s another story. My suburban Ontario home doesn’t have a bike lane on the street, but the main boulevard connecting my neighbourhood downtown can get be there in 20 minutes with its fully separated bike lanes. I like the idea of traffic calming on Dahlia, but I would agree that “build it & they will come” is only applicable to certain areas.

I don’t like comments about cycling being some urban elite thing, but I think the city holds much of the blame for making people feel that way by reserving cycling infrastructure for some core neighbourhoods. I would rather see more direct connections to a greater variety of neighbourhood types.

Last edited by Good Baklava; Feb 5, 2021 at 7:51 PM.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2021, 7:50 PM
Somewhat Pretentious

Quote:
Keep in mind that most of these projects are built not for the confident cyclists already out there but for the “interested but hesitant” crowd that wouldn’t mind biking if navigating so many roads and intersections on two wheels wasn’t such a pain.
Just a bit of commentary... A criticism I’ve seen about these traffic calmed streets is that they aren’t direct enough for cycling enthusiasts to use, but don’t feel safe enough for the hesitant crowd. I wonder how true that is though, I suppose it depends on the situation.

Overall I still support these improvements

Old Posted Feb 5, 2021, 8:02 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Baklava View Post
Just a bit of commentary... A criticism I’ve seen about these traffic calmed streets is that they aren’t direct enough for cycling enthusiasts to use, but don’t feel safe enough for the hesitant crowd. I wonder how true that is though, I suppose it depends on the situation.

Overall I still support these improvements
It really is situational, and like anything, the solution is going to end up some kind of compromise. I really enjoy the South Park lane, and have been using it more than I ever imagined I would in mid-winter. But I don’t love turning left onto side streets from the bike lane — bikeways are much more comfortable in that regard.

At least for Dahlia and the North End bikeways, they’re just improving already fairly popular or logical routes. The verdict is still out on the West End bikeway.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2021, 8:10 PM
Somewhat Pretentious

Quote:
It really is situational, and like anything, the solution is going to end up some kind of compromise. I really enjoy the South Park lane, and have been using it more than I ever imagined I would in mid-winter. But I don’t love turning left onto side streets from the bike lane — bikeways are much more comfortable in that regard.

At least for Dahlia and the North End bikeways, they’re just improving already fairly popular or logical routes. The verdict is still out on the West End bikeway.
Good points, I think each would excel under different circumstances. I’ve only routinely cycled in the North End, but from what you say Dahlia’s improvements are serving an existing popularity.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2021, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Seconded!

Quote:
"Subjectivity" - very diplomatic. I'd call it planner hyperbole, but...tomayto, tomahto...

Quote:
Seconded again!

Old Posted Feb 5, 2021, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saul Goode View Post
Seconded!

"Subjectivity" - very diplomatic. I'd call it planner hyperbole, but...tomayto, tomahto...

Seconded again!

I fully agree on all points. Thirded x 3!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atbw
Such cyclists really need to stick close to home. If they are uncomfortable riding in traffic then they really shouldn't be out in traffic, frankly, or risk becoming a statistic.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2021, 10:50 PM

Quote:
I fully agree on all points. Thirded x 3!

Such cyclists really need to stick close to home. If they are uncomfortable riding in traffic then they really shouldn't be out in traffic, frankly, or risk becoming a statistic.
The lanes are also good for families.

I know what some will say...I wouldn’t expect kids to bike on the streets with out a parent.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2021, 3:27 PM
Closed account

I think back to a day after a particularly muddy gravel ride when I was waiting for a light on South Park St. A couple kids, maybe 10-12 years old, on their bikes asked how I'd gotten as muddy as I did and we had a little chat as we waited. Conversation aside, it was nice to see kids able to actually be out on their own, relatively safe, and not minivan'd around.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2021, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Much of the project is just intersection upgrades and a sidewalk. Just a “local street bikeway” which is more or less crosswalk bumpouts and sharrows. Same as Vernon, same as what’s proposed for Isleville, Maynard and Creighton.

Actually the biggest sticking point is what you failed to mention, the removal of on-street parking on one side of Dahlia. If you look at the housing stock on that street, there is a large percentage of multi-unit rentals, either 2-flats of more than that in older wooden buildings. Those buildings may have a single -car driveway if they have one at all (many do not). Therefore the on-street parking is a necessity. Eliminating half of the available parking will very negatively impact many of those tenants.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2021, 11:49 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Actually the biggest sticking point is what you failed to mention, the removal of on-street parking on one side of Dahlia. If you look at the housing stock on that street, there is a large percentage of multi-unit rentals, either 2-flats of more than that in older wooden buildings. Those buildings may have a single -car driveway if they have one at all (many do not). Therefore the on-street parking is a necessity. Eliminating half of the available parking will very negatively impact many of those tenants.
I don’t think the parking issue was properly noted in the article. Looking at the plan options https://www.shapeyourcityhalifax.ca/...41320/download, the only impacts to parking are the addition of the sidewalk on one block of Dahlia, and possibly some parking on Victoria and Oak, depending how they treat those intersections. The segment of Dahlia losing parking on one side is dominated by a multi unit building that has on site parking, and a smaller wood building with a driveway, garage, and frontage on Beech. The rest of the parking that would be impacted by this project would be illegal parking too close to intersections, which would be prevented by curb bump outs.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2021, 12:26 PM

Quote:
I don’t think the parking issue was properly noted in the article. Looking at the plan options https://www.shapeyourcityhalifax.ca/...41320/download, the only impacts to parking are the addition of the sidewalk on one block of Dahlia, and possibly some parking on Victoria and Oak, depending how they treat those intersections. The segment of Dahlia losing parking on one side is dominated by a multi unit building that has on site parking, and a smaller wood building with a driveway, garage, and frontage on Beech. The rest of the parking that would be impacted by this project would be illegal parking too close to intersections, which would be prevented by curb bump outs.
The real issue with this is that the project is trying way too hard to solve a problem that doesn't really exist. The street currently is not perfect from a planning theory POV but the reality is that it works for all of the populations that use it. The parking as-is works for those who live there, the street handles the bit of cycling traffic it gets with little issue, and the bump-outs do not seem necessary at all. But HRM has money to burn and an overly activist planning dept combined with a councillor who is a closet member of the planning staff gives you this, which just manages to make things worse for some of those impacted while not really accomplishing much on the other side. Improve a few crossings, fix some sidewalks if you want, and call it a day.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2021, 1:28 PM

Quote:
Much of the project is just intersection upgrades and a sidewalk.
This. Most of the media focus and wording has been on this being a bicycle project, but when you dig into the project budget most of the money is for sidewalks, and a huge chunk of that is for fixing the part where Oak hits Creighton. Currently that sidewalk is super in-accessible, and requires some significant rejigging of grades to make it work. I suspect a lot of the project budget is going towards retaining walls and the like.

As for the bicycle component, yes, Dahlia is already easy to bicycle. But part of the point of this network is having those routes clearly identified. It’s easy enough to say, “I’ve lived in Dartmouth for years and always biked his route with no issues" but we have to remember that not everyone has that same knowledge. Once this route is formalized HRM can advertise it as such.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2021, 2:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
This. Most of the media focus and wording has been on this being a bicycle project, but when you dig into the project budget most of the money is for sidewalks, and a huge chunk of that is for fixing the part where Oak hits Creighton. Currently that sidewalk is super in-accessible, and requires some significant rejigging of grades to make it work. I suspect a lot of the project budget is going towards retaining walls and the like.

As for the bicycle component, yes, Dahlia is already easy to bicycle. But part of the point of this network is having those routes clearly identified. It’s easy enough to say, “I’ve lived in Dartmouth for years and always biked his route with no issues" but we have to remember that not everyone has that same knowledge. Once this route is formalized HRM can advertise it as such.
Fair enough. Fanfare to highlight that it's there for people who don't know about it is a good thing.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2021, 2:29 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post

The last point to add is that we’re not building infrastructure for people who already cycle and know all the best ways around town, it’s for the person who is interested in cycling and maybe does so on rails-to-trails, but isn’t comfortable without at least some infrastructure. Looking at the survey results linked in the CBC article, you can clearly see there’s a TON of folks who are in the interested but concerned category. Giving them the freedom to get around and flattening the steep learning curve that is urban cycling is what these projects are all about.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2021, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Looking at the survey results linked in the CBC article, you can clearly see there’s a TON of folks who are in the interested but concerned category.

I really find it hard to take any of those survey results seriously. The results were clearly hijacked given the number of "cycling is the bestest thing ever!" responses. I find it hard to believe most people were even aware of the survey, much less bothered to complete it.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2021, 1:33 PM
Somewhat Pretentious

Quote:
New bus and bike lane plans for Herring Cove Road headed to committee (March 20, 2021), Zane Woodford, Halifax Examiner

Municipal staff are recommending in favour of some big changes to Herring Cove Road, hoping to redesign the busy thoroughfare to favour pedestrians, bikes, and buses.

With significant new development happening in Spryfield — more than 2,200 new residential units are expected to be built in the area over the next 20 years — the municipality wants to get ahead of the transportation demand by encouraging people to use active transportation and transit instead of their cars.

The road is also currently unsafe for pedestrians due to long stretches without sidewalks or with worn-down asphalt sidewalks, and inaccessible bus stops.
Full Report

Source: Halifax Examiner / Halifax Regional Municipality

Source: Halifax Examiner / Halifax Regional Municipality

The proposals involve bikelanes separate from sidewalks, instead of creating an asphalt sidewalk and calling it a mixed-use trail.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure