HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jan 24, 2021, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer_spe View Post
50+ years later and it still looks the same.
Except for the crumbling concrete these days. But yes, a good example of how road development has not kept pace with the growth within HRM.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2021, 10:49 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Except for the crumbling concrete these days. But yes, a good example of how road development has not kept pace with the growth within HRM.
The fact that the Bedford Highway is not at least 4 lanes for it's entirety speaks to that.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2021, 5:18 PM

An option looked at in the 102 corridor study:

http://legacycontent.halifax.ca/boar...7March2010.pdf

Old Posted Jan 25, 2021, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
Some more early 60's Bi-Hi photos:

Either 1963 or 1964

Love the old speed limit signs.
Thanks for those - I have seen them before on the HRM archives but not the ones in your previous post.

It is significant how forward-thinking the province/city was in the 1950s and 1960s in developing modern road networks back when traffic volumes did not require them.

It's also telling, as has been pointed out, that there have been almost no improvements to those road networks since then. It seems as though there was a move away from large infrastructure projects in the Halifax area from the 1970s through the present. Even the Burnside-Sackville extension was being planned and surveyed back in the 1980s and is only now having construction work done on it.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2021, 5:34 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Not just a bigger loop from one freeway to another again...
I feel that the improvement of interchange with 103 was a missed opportunity. There could have been a flyover from 102N to 103W.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2021, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
I feel that the improvement of interchange with 103 was a missed opportunity. There could have been a flyover from 102N to 103W.
This design is not happening, I just dug it up from 10 years ago to show what they envisioned at the time.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2021, 9:20 PM
BANNED

Quote:
An option looked at in the 102 corridor study:

http://legacycontent.halifax.ca/boar...7March2010.pdf
This is a decent design. It fixes some of the challenges that make the interchange horrible.

Quote:
The chances of NSDOT doing a flyover is slim to nil. Remember, they build super 2s when a 4 lane is needed.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2021, 10:58 PM

There are trees being removed on the Duke side of the 102 now - more than just the clearing happening along the highway elsewhere.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2021, 3:52 PM

A tender was isssued for a new Highway 102 Corridor Study:

https://procurement.novascotia.ca/te...d=DOC703128958

Old Posted Sep 12, 2022, 8:39 PM

This needs to be done at the same time as the Burnside expressway.

How this is not funded in this province with all the population growth in this area, but yet they are building an unnecessary bunch of new interchanges for Windsor, N.S. and Waterville, N.S. on the 101.

Call your MLA. It's ridiculous at this point.

The late 1950's designed suicide lanes need to go.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2022, 10:25 PM

Quote:
The late 1950's designed suicide lanes need to go.
I'm not familiar with this civil engineering term. Can you define it and point out where they are on the 101/102?

Old Posted Sep 12, 2022, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMcK View Post
I'm not familiar with this civil engineering term. Can you define it and point out where they are on the 101/102?
Suicide lane is just what people call them, they are dangerous extremely short (less than 200 ft) shared on/off ramp/slip lanes on a freeway with vehicles travelling over 100 km/h that are expected to merge with 30 km/h traffic.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2022, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Suicide lane is just what people call them, they are dangerous extremely short (less than 200 ft) shared on/off ramp/slip lanes on a freeway with vehicles travelling over 100 km/h that are expected to merge with 30 km/h traffic.
You still see these in places in large US cities such as parts of Los Angeles and NYC where expressways were built immediately after WWII and now development has hemmed them in, making rebuilding them to today's standards very expensive and difficult. This is of course not the case here. There really is no excuse.

The one thing that has always made me shake my head is the 101 overpass itself at this interchange, with its central support splitting the lanes on the 102 below which looks lethal. If you look at the old pictures of it and compare them to the long modern overpass structures that are built today with no central supports it is remarkable how the engineering has advanced, yet there has been nothing done to this one.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2022, 2:24 PM

"dangerous extremely short (less than 200 ft) shared on/off ramp/slip lanes on a freeway"

Another really bad one I use frequently is at the 118-111 intersection. If you're westbound (i.e., inbound) on the 118 and have to get onto the 111 southbound it can be really treacherous, especially at the time of day when Burnside and Dartmouth Crossing are emptying out. I'm amazed there aren't more MVAs there. People come flying down from the 111 Woodland Ave exit and barely even acknowledge traffic on the 118 before inserting themselves into it. It's always been a mess, and it's worse since DC was developed, creating another traffic outlet from Burnside.

Given that many NS drivers are hopelessly ignorant of the art of merging in the first place, bad design like this really doesn't help.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2022, 2:36 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

A lazy way is to use collector lanes. A 2+2+2+2 configuration for 102 can help because 102 needs widening anyway.
The entire junction is simply poorly built to begin with. I wonder if Bedford Bypass can be removed after Burnside Connector becomes operational. People can simply go between Dartmouth and Lower Sackville via the collectors of 102.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2022, 7:16 PM
BANNED

Quote:
A lazy way is to use collector lanes. A 2+2+2+2 configuration for 102 can help because 102 needs widening anyway.
The entire junction is simply poorly built to begin with. I wonder if Bedford Bypass can be removed after Burnside Connector becomes operational. People can simply go between Dartmouth and Lower Sackville via the collectors of 102.
I thought we already discussed that.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/ed...Kx&usp=sharing

Old Posted Sep 15, 2022, 4:39 PM

[QUOTE=q12;9728718]This needs to be done at the same time as the Burnside expressway.

How this is not funded in this province with all the population growth in this area, but yet they are building an unnecessary bunch of new interchanges for Windsor, N.S. and Waterville, N.S. on the 101.

I don't think there are new interchanges being built into the 101 at Windsor; some expansion/redesigning.
I am still awaiting to see what the final concept to cross the river will be and how the lake (head pond) and river battle will finish.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2022, 4:45 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer_spe View Post
I thought we already discussed that.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/ed...Kx&usp=sharing
I guess 4-stack may work, as long as you eliminate weaving with the 2 adjacent interchanges.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2022, 4:49 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I guess 4-stack may work, as long as you eliminate weaving with the 2 adjacent interchanges.
Do what is done on 4 stacks in ON. Have both directions end up or start off on the same exit ramp.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2022, 4:52 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

In some sense, 107 is the continuation of 101 across 102 (Bye-Hi).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure