HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Feb 14, 2021, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ71 View Post
This came out from the County Administrator. Huge 75 E Broadway contract with specs. If you look on page 42 it shows the schedule with most of the ground work being done this year and then the actual shell begins construction in Oct 2021 thru Sept 2023 with completion day on 9/5/23.

https://webcms.pima.gov/UserFiles/Se...0Financing.pdf
Thought that they were further along with everything, so looking to 3rd quarter of 2023 for completion...a long time to go but it will be nice to see a high rise structure starting to form next year.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2021, 2:13 AM

Notice that on the Budget Page (p.44), they have the wrong address and spelled Tucson wrong: 76 E Broadway - Tuscon Holding Group.

I wonder if Alburqerque has the same problem!

Last edited by InTheBurbs; Feb 15, 2021 at 3:06 AM. Reason: Edit

Old Posted Feb 17, 2021, 2:29 PM

I sat in on the Rio Nuevo meeting yesterday. Nothing too exciting.

75 E Broadway

The final(?) paperwork is tentatively scheduled to be signed this Friday and the the project is a go with completion in 2023

Reilly Pizza Support Funding Request

Reilly was looking to get a little money to help them through this unique time. The Request was denied for two reasons. 1. they already received money from the initial support program administered by the YWCA. 2. They were not looking for money to expand or increase revenue. The thought was if RN gave money to Reilly, they would open the flood gates to everyone else.

Congress Hotel Expansion
Congress is looking to upgrade their patio to the north with a new stage and new bathrooms. They are also looking to convert the Copper Banquet Hall on the north side into a Mescal, Local Wine and Bistro concept. Congress is looking for funds to help support this endeavor. RN decided to think on it and wait until next meeting for a decision.

TCC Update
TCC renovations are going well, the meeting rooms are a much needed upgrade which should help attract more groups. The music hall and its new parking garage are next up and should be underway soon.

TCC Marketing Support
The group decided to spend some funds to help the TCC attract conventions, shows, etc. The marketing subcommittee was assigned the task of managing that.

That is about it

Old Posted Feb 17, 2021, 5:46 PM

Here are some crappy pictures of construction progress around Downtown. I took these the morning while walking around.

The Primavera Foundation building at 17th and 6th

The Baffert at 5 Points (a big hole in the ground right now)

124 E Broadway (former Access Tucson building)

127 S 5th Apartments

Hilton at Cathedral Square (on S Stone)

The Flin apartments looking from the south

The Flin apartments looking from the corner of Broadway and Church

The finished parking garage on the East side of the TCC

The finished Double Tree at the TCC

A bad picture of the Meeting room construction at the TCC

Two completed townhomes at the Miramonte Barrio Viejo development

Old Posted Feb 17, 2021, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzyabe View Post
I sat in on the Rio Nuevo meeting yesterday. Nothing too exciting.

75 E Broadway

The final(?) paperwork is tentatively scheduled to be signed this Friday and the the project is a go with completion in 2023

Reilly Pizza Support Funding Request

Reilly was looking to get a little money to help them through this unique time. The Request was denied for two reasons. 1. they already received money from the initial support program administered by the YWCA. 2. They were not looking for money to expand or increase revenue. The thought was if RN gave money to Reilly, they would open the flood gates to everyone else.

Congress Hotel Expansion
Congress is looking to upgrade their patio to the north with a new stage and new bathrooms. They are also looking to convert the Copper Banquet Hall on the north side into a Mescal, Local Wine and Bistro concept. Congress is looking for funds to help support this endeavor. RN decided to think on it and wait until next meeting for a decision.

TCC Update
TCC renovations are going well, the meeting rooms are a much needed upgrade which should help attract more groups. The music hall and its new parking garage are next up and should be underway soon.

TCC Marketing Support
The group decided to spend some funds to help the TCC attract conventions, shows, etc. The marketing subcommittee was assigned the task of managing that.

That is about it
Thanks for an update! I listened in as well and wanted to add a few things.

-75 E Broadway documents needed to amend the ground lease to include "The alley" so finalization and closing of the documents should happen by this Friday. The alley would include an opening walkway from 75 E Broadway onto Congress St from the North end.

-Hotel Congress is looking to utilize the Copper Hall just West of the front lobby into a wine tasting room which will turn into a lounge at night.

-RN is no longer helping to provide investment in the Volvo site. Due to the original agreement, RN agreed to investment only within a certain time frame based upon the developer's financing. The developer financing fell through and they want to renegotiate with the city.

- A Local developer wants to buy the empty parking lot north of YMCA on Church/Council for $500k in cash but within the next 48 hours (development TBD). RN thinks the lot is worth $750k and wants to reach out to other developers for best bid. This bid will only be open for 48 hrs.

-RN will be sending a RFP for the Bungalow block or district on the Sunshine Mile.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2021, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewsaturn View Post
Thanks for an update! I listened in as well and wanted to add a few things.

-75 E Broadway documents needed to amend the ground lease to include "The alley" so finalization and closing of the documents should happen by this Friday. The alley would include an opening walkway from 75 E Broadway onto Congress St from the North end.

-Hotel Congress is looking to utilize the Copper Hall just West of the front lobby into a wine tasting room which will turn into a lounge at night.

-RN is no longer helping to provide investment in the Volvo site. Due to the original agreement, RN agreed to investment only within a certain time frame based upon the developer's financing. The developer financing fell through and they want to renegotiate with the city.

- A Local developer wants to buy the empty parking lot north of YMCA on Church/Council for $500k in cash but within the next 48 hours (development TBD). RN thinks the lot is worth $750k and wants to reach out to other developers for best bid. This bid will only be open for 48 hrs.

-RN will be sending a RFP for the Bungalow block or district on the Sunshine Mile.
Thanks for the additional detail!

I had forgot to mention that walkway for 75 E Broadway through to Congress. That is going to make the Chicago store block interesting.

Also that lot sale on church and council, I don't want to get too excited because I don't think much can be built there, but I could be wrong.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 9:19 PM

Downtown Links progress video update from TDOT:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Tucson_DT...31807485050880

Old Posted Feb 19, 2021, 12:57 AM

The Tucson City Council will vote on a proposal at their next meeting (2/23/21) for incentives for TuSimple, the self-driving truck company located on Old Vail Rd. west of Houghton. The company is proposing spending $9 million to build 25k more square feet of warehouse space and another 10k square feet of office space and increase their workforce by 50-75 employees. (#8 on the agenda below)

Also on the agenda are some plats for the Bridges (#7.i.) and a new restaurant/shopping PAD to be located just north of I-10 at Ajo Way, next to the Kino Sports Complex (#9).

https://tucsonaz.onbaseonline.com/18...1503&doctype=1

Old Posted Feb 19, 2021, 4:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick S View Post
The Tucson City Council will vote on a proposal at their next meeting (2/23/21) for incentives for TuSimple, the self-driving truck company located on Old Vail Rd. west of Houghton. The company is proposing spending $9 million to build 25k more square feet of warehouse space and another 10k square feet of office space and increase their workforce by 50-75 employees. (#8 on the agenda below)

Also on the agenda are some plats for the Bridges (#7.i.) and a new restaurant/shopping PAD to be located just north of I-10 at Ajo Way, next to the Kino Sports Complex (#9).

https://tucsonaz.onbaseonline.com/18...1503&doctype=1
Went through the Ajo PAD documents on PRO. Pad B is going to be a Raising Canes. Pad E is going to be a Rudy's Country Store and Bar-B-Q.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2021, 6:02 AM

High-rises and affordable housing proposed for Tucson's Sunshine Mile

Old Posted Feb 21, 2021, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juan.x.ito View Post
I read this yesterday and I'm in favor of any type of building, especially if it provides housing for people. And only in Tucson does a 14-16 story building create controversy. The problem I have is they want to condense this area into living/working area...but they're not investing in the transportation aspect of it. They are literally widening that road for cars right now but NOT including the extension of the trolley or a light rail system. How does this make any sense...even for the developers? It wasn't until the city invested in the current trolley did developers start to build along it. The trolley is a way to gain security for the developers to build. The City Transportation created another big failure here.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2021, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ71 View Post
I read this yesterday and I'm in favor of any type of building, especially if it provides housing for people. And only in Tucson does a 14-16 story building create controversy. The problem I have is they want to condense this area into living/working area...but they're not investing in the transportation aspect of it. They are literally widening that road for cars right now but NOT including the extension of the trolley or a light rail system. How does this make any sense...even for the developers? It wasn't until the city invested in the current trolley did developers start to build along it. The trolley is a way to gain security for the developers to build. The City Transportation created another big failure here.
In a few design meetings I attended early in the Broadway widening project, the outside lane on both sides was made wider to help accommodate a future expansion of the street car (if funds were found). I hope that one day the Street Car goes to Reid Park. I think that would make a lot of sense, but we (the community) would need to find the money somewhere.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2021, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmiller5 View Post
Where is Hub V going to be? Just east of the Islamic Center?
Here's an article with some info on Hub V - https://azbex.com/core-spaces-propos...ect-in-tucson/

Old Posted Feb 22, 2021, 9:39 PM

Quote:
In a few design meetings I attended early in the Broadway widening project, the outside lane on both sides was made wider to help accommodate a future expansion of the street car (if funds were found). I hope that one day the Street Car goes to Reid Park. I think that would make a lot of sense, but we (the community) would need to find the money somewhere.
Agree with you. A trolley or light rail should go to Reid Park/El Con Mall. That entire El Con needs to be redeveloped as a mixed-used location with shopping and home/apartment/condos area. That parking lot is too huge in the back not to do this. And of course one day I'd love to see the line go to Williams Centre (another business hub) and eventually Park Mall. They have so many destination points along this route it just seems logical.

But at least they are widening the outer lanes. I hadn't read that.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2021, 10:35 PM

It might not be anything, but there is fencing around the old Casa Vicente lot on Stone and 14th and most of the parking spaces there. This fence is new within the last week or so. I can't find anything recent on PRO about a permit, but may be they are getting ready to start.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2021, 7:00 PM

I haven't posted in ages...but just wanted to add that the proposed Overlays are a good step forward for the Broadway Corridor.

I haven't seen the entire proposed height limits for each piece, but I hope they learn their lesson from the Main Gate Square Overlay. At Main Gate, the market has made a mockery of the height restrictions. Instead of Hub V, IV, III, etc...there could have been 20+ floor structures that would have eliminated the need for all these multiple buildings of 10 floors here, 6 floors there. Same with the other developers. I'll never understand the logic that a 6, 10, 13, or 14 story building wouldn't block a so-called "view" the same as a taller structure. Blows my mind. I love the density that the Main Gate Overlay brings, but some parcels should have and could have gotten more height.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2021, 9:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southtucsonboy77 View Post
I haven't posted in ages...but just wanted to add that the proposed Overlays are a good step forward for the Broadway Corridor.

I haven't seen the entire proposed height limits for each piece, but I hope they learn their lesson from the Main Gate Square Overlay. At Main Gate, the market has made a mockery of the height restrictions. Instead of Hub V, IV, III, etc...there could have been 20+ floor structures that would have eliminated the need for all these multiple buildings of 10 floors here, 6 floors there. Same with the other developers. I'll never understand the logic that a 6, 10, 13, or 14 story building wouldn't block a so-called "view" the same as a taller structure. Blows my mind. I love the density that the Main Gate Overlay brings, but some parcels should have and could have gotten more height.
I agree but until the city eliminates the 300ft height limit throughout the city (especially downtown) that will never happen. Nimby's in Tucson are so scared of the city becoming like Phx they will do anything and everything possible to stop the height. But if you ask me...Main Gate looks kind of ridiculous with a few blocks crammed together full of 16 floor and under buildings. It really looks out of place. Much moreso than a beautifully designed 20+ story tower thoughtfully designed with appropriate space and desert landscaping around it.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2021, 2:16 PM

The new owner of the FC Tucson soccer team had a conference call with supporters last night. He and his team went through their plans over the next few years. A new stadium is in the plans, though a location was not discussed.

That reminds me, how is that litigation going with NorGen?

Old Posted Feb 25, 2021, 4:01 PM

Quote:
The new owner of the FC Tucson soccer team had a conference call with supporters last night. He and his team went through their plans over the next few years. A new stadium is in the plans, though a location was not discussed.

That reminds me, how is that litigation going with NorGen?
When I looked into his background earlier this week, I noticed the first line of his bio on LinkedIn reads: "Mr. Johnson is a Founder and Partner of Fortuitous Partners (www.fortuitouspartners.com), a diversified opportunity fund platform investing in professional sports anchored multi-asset developments in opportunity zones."

I'd been confused about why a Phoenix Rising founder would separately want to own FC Tucson but the above business interest potentially provides a motive.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2021, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Lyons View Post
When I looked into his background earlier this week, I noticed the first line of his bio on LinkedIn reads: "Mr. Johnson is a Founder and Partner of Fortuitous Partners (www.fortuitouspartners.com), a diversified opportunity fund platform investing in professional sports anchored multi-asset developments in opportunity zones."

I'd been confused about why a Phoenix Rising founder would separately want to own FC Tucson but the above business interest potentially provides a motive.
That makes sense. Apparently they are planning to partner up with the Sugar Skulls and Roadrunners for joint marketing opportunities. If a stadium can be built downtown (or nearby) it would really add to the "destination" goal of downtown.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest