Old Posted Oct 31, 2019, 12:30 AM
New Yorker for life

Smile NEW YORK | 1 Manhattan West | 995 FT | 71 FLOORS

https://www.6sqft.com/first-and-tall...x-is-now-open/

First and tallest tower in Manhattan West complex is now open

OCTOBER 30, 2019
BY ALEXANDRA ALEXA

Quote:
The doors of One Manhattan West have officially opened. The Skidmore, Owings & Merrill-designed tower spans across 67 stories and 2.1 million square feet of office space, and at 995 feet, it’s the tallest building in the development. Located at the corner of Ninth Avenue and 33rd Street, the tower is the first building within Brookfield Properties’ eight-acre Manhattan West complex to open. It’s already 90 percent leased, with tenants including Accenture, the National Hockey League, Skadden Arps, and Slate.
Quote:
The structure is comprised of a reinforced concrete core and steel moment frame and was designed to accommodate the Amtrak railways running beneath Manhattan West. A transparent, 40-foot tall lobby surrounds the monolithic, carved structural core, which is clad in 400 tons of Italian travertine. The tower is expected to achieve LEED Gold certification.
Quote:
“Our aim for One Manhattan West was to create a timeless office tower that would help companies driving the world’s economy attract, retain and get the most out of their workforces,” said Ric Clark, chairman of Brookfield Property Group.

“Through an integrated design approach between our architectural and engineering teams, SOM endeavored to create an icon for what will ultimately be one of the largest new developments in a generation in New York City,” added Skidmore, Owings & Merrill design partner Gary Haney. “And this is true not only on the skyline; this building also boasts one of the most dramatic lobbies in New York City.”

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2019, 8:53 PM

This is nothing less than one of the most beautiful skyscrapers ever built. I only wish they left the building as a stand-alone structure and it was only glass surrounding that gorgeous stone core.

Both photos by the excellent Field Condition

Major kudos to Brookfield for building this thing.

And then i look at The Eugene and I take ALL the kudos away.

Shame on you for thinking you deserve kudos, Brookfield. Shame on you. (Slaps hand). (Hard)

Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 12:50 AM

This project is a beast. 9th Ave. is the new 6th Ave., with monumental modernist slabs.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 2:21 AM

what I love about this tower is you can stand right at the convex corners and its like a funhouse mirror.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2019, 12:30 AM
A.F.K.A. JayPro

If I were to say---and I might as well---that this tower looks like little more than a slightly pregnant blue glass box with rounded corners, what would any of you say to challenge my assertion?

I'd like to be 100% sold on this tower in that particular manner, if anyone out there accepts my friendly challenge. But for now I'd definitely give it an A++ for sheer mass. Maybe when it starts to get filled out/up with tenant space, I'll give it high grades for "texture", as it were.

PS: The lobby and outdoor space beat all hell out of anything else that could be mentioned that would otherwise mitigate the aforementioned "(read: positive) criticism".

PPS: Maybe that's just it, though? Am I supposed to be taken aback by possibly compelling architectural features that for some towers mean the difference between "meh.." and "game changer", but for others---this one, evidently---are what that put them in that latter category from the start...i.e. do not pass Go, do not collect $200?

Last edited by Prezrezc; Nov 2, 2019 at 3:33 AM. Reason: Second thoughts....:)

Old Posted Nov 2, 2019, 1:00 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by pico44 View Post
This is nothing less than one of the most beautiful skyscrapers ever built. I only wish they left the building as a stand-alone structure and it was only glass surrounding that gorgeous stone core.

I have to say, I agree that this building is beautiful. I see it practically every day, and it always stands out to me, and not because of the height (although that counts as something). It's a very simple and elegant design. I can't wait to see it's fraternal twin rise, to see if they will indeed have that same relationship the original Twin Towers had. I believe it will, and further believe that the Manhattan West complex is an improvement on the original WTC complex. I remember before 9/11, there was a plan floating around to cover some of the plaza, similar in a way to what is happening at the Sears Tower now. I remember when the retail area was added to the Manhattan West complex, some didn't like it. But I believe that we would see something similar happening or already happened at the WTC towers if they stood today. Anyway, it's a gorgeous tower.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B4LRAMXq0wb/

https://www.instagram.com/p/B3NzX1vncTa/

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2019, 1:03 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 6:50 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 4:08 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Hospitality mogul Sam Nazarian taking a bite out of Manhattan West

Quote:
Manhattan’s Far West Side is about to get some serious foodie street cred.

Hospitality mogul Sam Nazarian is in talks to open a large space at Manhattan West as his SBE Entertainment Group embarks on a global restaurant and hotel expansion, sources told The Real Deal.

SBE Entertainment plans to lease about 40,000 square feet at Brookfield Office Properties’ massive live-work-play complex. One source said Nazarian is planning some kind of culinary incubator to test different concepts for the company’s expansion plans.

[...]

Umami is reportedly eyeing a Big Apple comeback, however, with a new concept called Umami Prime set to open inside the Le Meridien hotel off Central Park in the spring.

Brookfield, meanwhile, signed the law firm Cravath Swaine & Moore earlier this month to roughly 480,000 square feet as the anchor tenant at Two Manhattan West — the second new office tower to be developed at the 5.4 million-square-foot campus.
============
TRD

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 4:58 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 4:37 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 3:45 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 2:21 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Dec 13, 2019, 3:30 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Dec 17, 2019, 4:34 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

the glass is top notch, almost beyond belief.

and the base is nothing less than gorgeous.

if anyone has not yet taken a walk around this one -- do yourself a favor!

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 12:28 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
the glass is top notch, almost beyond belief.

and the base is nothing less than gorgeous.

if anyone has not yet taken a walk around this one -- do yourself a favor!
I"m in the area quite a bit, and I still say this complex when it opens in full is the only one that gives of that original WTC feel. It already does.

davidben33

Old Posted Dec 19, 2019, 4:47 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Dec 19, 2019, 2:50 PM
West End & Riverside

This one's like candy, you just want to lick it! I still haven't gotten used to it looming behind Moynihan, used to be the post office was about as far west as you wanted to go on 33rd, unless you were sentenced to do time at the Javits. Amazing the transformation in such a short period. I hope they keep the glass nice and clean.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2020, 3:05 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Mar 14, 2020, 1:17 AM
New Yorker for life

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture