HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Dec 14, 2012, 4:47 PM

via

With a spare trainset now available to VIA with the Ocean reduction, would it make sense to use that set to run a service from Moncton NB, to Bangor ME? Thus connnecting St John, and setting up a valuable cross border service like the Maple Leaf and Adarondack?

Old Posted Dec 14, 2012, 4:57 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19200 View Post
With a spare trainset now available to VIA with the Ocean reduction, would it make sense to use that set to run a service from Moncton NB, to Bangor ME? Thus connnecting St John, and setting up a valuable cross border service like the Maple Leaf and Adarondack?
Why stop at Bangor, let's go all the way to Portland and connect up with AmTrak.

Seriously, I don't think VIA has any cross border routes. The existing routes connecting Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver to the US are all operated by AmTrak. You should probably talk to them first!

Old Posted Dec 14, 2012, 7:14 PM

d

You are correct, VIA doesn't do the cross border thing right now. But they did, and they could!

I was under the impression that Amtrak was extending their service to Bangor, hence my plan. Perhaps I've been mis-informed?

In that case then, yes get to Portland for the connection. The idea is to make a rail to rail link of course.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2012, 7:32 PM

There are 2 crude oil trains coming to Saint John as we speak, one off the CP/MMA which was seen this morning in Farnham, QC and the other is departing Toronto around 1 pm ET. Here pics of the 2 trains coming:

CP/MMA : http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...=417653&nseq=4

CN: http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...=417708&nseq=0

Old Posted Dec 14, 2012, 7:55 PM

Quote:
I was under the impression that Amtrak was extending their service to Bangor, hence my plan. Perhaps I've been mis-informed?

In that case then, yes get to Portland for the connection. The idea is to make a rail to rail link of course.
Amtrak runs up to Brunswick.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2012, 7:58 PM
ハルウララ

I would be totally ok with a line running between Portland and Moncton via Saint John. Connection with the Downeaster? Make it happen AmTrak!

Old Posted Mar 17, 2013, 4:46 AM

Old Posted Mar 17, 2013, 10:44 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1gray View Post
I wonder if the next candidate for Atlantic regional cooperation should be some sort of Atlantic regional transportation commission, charged with promoting and regulating public transportation in Atlantic Canada.

Maritime Bus seems to be doing OK at present, but they needed to make submissions to three seperate regulatory bodies, all with different regulations and expectations. This I'm sure was frustrating for Maritime Bus, and the only reason why the process was expedited for them is because of the imminent demise of Acadian Lines. Otherwise, bureaucracy would have travelled at it's usual sluggish and obstructive pace and it might have been a year or more before permission were granted (if at all).

A Maritime (or Atlantic) transportation commission could expedite things by having uniform regulations throughout the region governing the industry. A Maritime transportation commission could in fact act as a facilitator as well as a regulator of intercity transportation. This could work quite well for passenger rail.

It is quite obvious that the feds are not interested in passenger rail, and are unwilling to promote passenger rail outside the Quebec City to Windsor corridor. It would appear that the days of VIA Rail in the region may be numbered. Perhaps authority over intercity rail in the region should be taken from VIA and given to a new regional intercity rail corporation regulated directly by the Maritime Transportation Commission. Any federal subsidies currently given to VIA for passenger rail in the region could instead be given to a new joint provincially owned crown corporation, the Maritime Intercity Rail Corporation. These federal subsidies could be supplemented by operating funds from the three provincial governments. The new rail service could be mandated to connect directly to Maritime Bus at hubs like Halifax, Truro and Moncton. The new rail entity could also connect to VIA at Quebec City, and perhaps to AmTrak at Portland. By connecting to the transcontinental services in both Canada and the US, this could increase the relevance of passenger rail in the region.

A regional passenger rail service could be more responsive to passenger demand, and could be proactive in promoting passenger rail, especially by providing service frequency that would actually make the service relevant to travellers.

The current rail service is dying. If passenger rail in the Maritimes is to survive, perhaps it is time to think outside the box........

Old Posted Dec 14, 2013, 9:09 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Resurrecting this thread from the dead…...

Maritime Bus Northern NB Route at Risk
CBC News

Maritime Bus is asking for support from customers and businesses who would like to see its northern New Brunswick route continue.

The company has provided daily service to Campbellton, Bathurst and Miramichi since August.

But president Mike Cassidy said the company is only tracking about 50 per cent of its projected passengers in its current pilot project.

He said Maritime Bus expected 40 passengers would use the route every day.

To obtain a permanent license to operate, Maritime Bus has to prove the line is financially viable.

“At the present moment it isn't, but there is potential, and over 2014 I'm hoping local communities, the elected officials, business leaders, residents will support Maritime Bus,” he said.

“So all I've asked for is over the next seven days, could I talk to business associations, the mayors of Campbellton, Bathurst, and the Miramichi. Can we come up with a communications plan to promote this service?

Cassidy said it takes time to reinstate a service in an area.

He said he's not asking for a government subsidy, just public support.

"I don't want to walk away from the north unless we give it our best effort possible," Cassidy said.

Maritime Bus must make its case to the New Brunswick Energy and Utilities Board on Dec. 20.

Maritime Bus started operations in December 2012 after Acadian Lines shut down its service. Acadian officials said the company had lost millions of dollars providing service in the Maritimes and couldn't make a profit in the region.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2013, 9:55 PM

I hope they can hold on as long as possible, but with one of the fastest declining population rates in the country, I doubt northern NB can support both passenger rail and bus service in the long run. Unfortunately, one of these services is doomed in the not too distant futur I think. Our population is so spread out in this province, it so often works against us.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2014, 5:19 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Via Rail's Maritime-Quebec passenger service in doubt

CN's Bathurst to Moncton section slated for closure
CBC News Posted: Jan 28, 2014 8:55 AM AT|
Last Updated: Jan 28, 2014 9:09 AM AT
(CBC)

Via Rail says it could cancel passenger service from Quebec to the Maritimes if CN doesn't find an investor to buy a portion of its railway in northern New Brunswick.

CN announced last week that it will discontinue operations on a 70-kilometre section connecting Bathurst to Miramichi because their freight cars don't use the line.

Via Rail's Ocean line runs on the same route.

Spokesperson Mylène Bélanger said Via Rail will maintain the connection between Quebec and Halifax for as long as it can, but will not acquire the railway itself.

"At this time it's still a hypothetical question, but if this section is abandoned we'll look into the commercial viability of all other alternatives, for connecting between Halifax and Montreal, before adopting any other route," she said.

CN said operations will be maintained on the tracks between Nelson Junction and Nepisiquit Junction for at least five months while the rail line is put up for sale.

"Via Rail does not have the financial resources to acquire or maintain this section of the tracks. So we'll wait for any developments," said Bélanger.

Daily passenger train service in the Maritimes was scaled back to three days a week in October 2012.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2014, 11:57 PM

Quote:
About a month before the bus service was terminated from Saint John to Bangor I took it en-route to going to Boston. Granted it was a Sunday, but there were only 2 of us that made the entire trip from Saint John to Bangor. A waste of a bus, chance of them putting in a train link is just flat zero.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2014, 12:57 AM

So the CBC is all doom and gloom on the Via service, but today's T&T tells us the Feds will step up and save it.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2014, 2:59 AM
ハルウララ

CBC is always doom and gloom. It's no wonder people are so pessimistic over everything.

I have my doubts over the Feds contributing a large amount of money in supporting the VIA service. Lately they've been doing the opposite in keeping things like these afloat (Canada Post, et. al.)

Old Posted Jan 29, 2014, 4:02 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

The northern route may be toast, but that doesn't necessarily mean the end of the line for VIA in Atlantic Canada. The Ocean could instead use the CNR mainline through the centre of NB. Old station stops in Miramichi, Bathurst and Campbellton would be lost, but potentially new stops in Grand Falls and Edmundston could be added.

I agree that CBC is all doom and gloom all the time. The CBC actually makes the boosterism of the T&T refreshing!!

Old Posted Jan 29, 2014, 6:50 AM

Perhaps it would lead to the revival of the "Atlantic" route via Saint John/Maine/Sherbrooke?... doubtful as it seems they would rather cut service these days than change/increase it. But it would be one of the options if they were actually looking to maintain Halifax-Montreal service.

The CNR mainline would probably be the easier replacement option (no border crossing or negotiating with multiple track owners)

Old Posted Jan 29, 2014, 1:50 PM

I wouldn't be too quick to think Via will simply take the western route. It seems Via are looking for any excuse - in fact, taking decisive actions - to abandon all service in the Maritimes.
This would surely be a shame because I know that some depend on this service and it used to be (and could be again) timely and efficient, but frankly, I've taken five Via Rail trips in my life, and every one of them were an outright disaster. I would rather walk. I will never, ever use Via Rail for anything, ever, under any circumstances. Surely I can't be the only one, so it does not bode well for them on the (l)east coast and I'm convinced that they couldn't be happier to get rid of us.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2014, 4:17 PM

I love the train, and would love to be able to use it to travel since I don't have a car... But for the Maritimes, it just doesn't work.

They don't have service to 2 of the 3 major population centres in NB (not to mention avoiding the more populated Saint John River valley), they take longer to get to Montreal than driving would take, and they wonder (no they don't wonder) why no one uses it?

Yes, it's a bit of a Catch-22/"If you build it, will they come?", but anyone could tell that if you want passenger traffic, the current Montreal to Halifax line is possibly the WORST route you could design.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2014, 5:53 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

Via is pretty obviously setting up their service here for failure. They cut back service then use the drop in passengers to justify more cuts. They don't do anything to promote it... They're just crawling up to the trough to see what they can squeeze out of the province now that CN has received some funding for the line between Miramichi and Moncton.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2014, 2:25 PM

Ocean

Before the reduction to 3 times a week service, sleeping accomodation would sell out every day in the summer, and coach was setting higher ridership numbers all the time.

I've not seen an add for via in decades, that is outside of the corridore.

Their intention is clear. Shame really. Amtrak is setting new ridership records daily, and our country is destroying our system.

Email Lisa Raitt if you feel things are amis...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces