Old Posted Jun 24, 2013, 3:24 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Halifax skyline:

Source

Old Posted Jun 26, 2013, 2:22 AM

Old Posted Jun 26, 2013, 3:13 AM
The Vomit Bag.

wonderful nightshots of Hal and QC
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Jul 5, 2013, 2:39 AM
Urban Fanactic

Downtown Sault Ste. Marie from the Sault Canal.

Pictures by me.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2013, 7:28 AM

Regina skyline

Old Posted Jul 6, 2013, 5:06 AM
Riki beach

Ste-Foy on July 2nd

Old Posted Jul 6, 2013, 5:09 AM

JD2 is just HUGE compared to other buildings !
Hence we're starting to get a whole new skyline up there

Old Posted Jul 6, 2013, 5:33 PM

Winnipeg:

source: Winnipeg Free Press

Last edited by roccerfeller; Jul 7, 2013 at 7:50 AM.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2013, 6:28 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
Winnipeg:

Man, I just LOVE our dense tree canopy cover in this city!

Old Posted Jul 7, 2013, 7:48 AM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinook View Post
Man, I just LOVE our dense tree canopy cover in this city!
That describes a lot of cities that have established residential areas... as long as the trees that were planted weren't wiped out through infestations (Dutch Elm Disease, etc).

Old Posted Jul 7, 2013, 8:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
That describes a lot of cities that have established residential areas... as long as the trees that were planted weren't wiped out through infestations (Dutch Elm Disease, etc).
This is true, though for what it's worth Winnipeg apparently has the largest urban elm tree forest in the world (according to some arbourists, and also alluded to in the "may we grow" tree documentary) though I am not sure how accurate that statistic actually is. I do know there are just under 200,000 elms in the city (vs 8 milli trees) and some ~ 40% of the urban trees are all elms. Bluenote might know more about the numbers et al since that's his profession.

Again, it doesn't dissuade what you said nor am implying anything negative, I'm just saying under the context of what Shinook posted. Regina, for example has many stellar urban neighbourhoods with beautiful elm canopies

I too miss the elms of Winnipeg. On the flip side, the mountains out in Calgary make for some stunning scenery too

Old Posted Jul 7, 2013, 12:51 PM
Riki beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrAnKs View Post
JD2 is just HUGE compared to other buildings !
It has a nice presence from pretty much everywhere on the south shore, especially impressive coming in on the 20 from Montréal in St-Nicolas!

Old Posted Jul 7, 2013, 2:06 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I know you are trying to debbie down my comment, but I don't really care. I'll say it again: Man, I just LOVE our dense tree canopy cover in Winnipeg!

Don't like it? Too bad

Old Posted Jul 7, 2013, 3:24 PM
You talkin' to me?

Quote:
I know you are trying to debbie down my comment, but I don't really care. I'll say it again: Man, I just LOVE our dense tree canopy cover in Winnipeg!

Don't like it? Too bad
He's not trying to "debbie down" your comment at all. He's really just stating a fact. I've seen photos of many cities across Canada that have a similar tree canopy.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2013, 3:32 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishblade View Post
He's not trying to "debbie down" your comment at all. He's really just stating a fact. I've seen photos of many cities across Canada that have a similar tree canopy.
True enough. I believe most Canadian cities have decent tree canopies, in certain areas. I love Halifax's, but I wish it had more evergreens, like in Vancouver.

The pictures I've seen of Winnipeg lead to believe their tree canopies are nice as well!

Old Posted Jul 7, 2013, 3:58 PM
BANNED

So I guess what people are trying to brainwash me into believeing is that anytime I make a positive comment about my city (not anyone elses, just mine) I'm going to be continually told that "it's just like everywhere else", you know, so don't bother saying it cause it really doesn't mean anything.

Yeah, I'm not going to buy into that malarchy. I'll say what I want despite the debbie downers, thanks.

Cheers!

Old Posted Jul 7, 2013, 4:05 PM
bro

Smile

needs more trees

Old Posted Jul 7, 2013, 6:24 PM
I am a typical

If most cities have a similar tree canopy to Winnipeg, then Thunder Bay's tree canopy really sucks.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2013, 10:04 PM
Hmm....

Quote:

Don't like it? Too bad
Like Wishblade said, I'm just stating that most Canadian cities have great tree canopies, it's not something that is particularly unique to Winnipeg (not to say that Winnipeg's isn't fantastic anyway)... and Elm came to mind because Regina and Saskatoon, cities where Elm trees make up a HUGE portion of the tree canopy, are currently battling Dutch Elm Disease infestations that have basically surrounded the cities. Furthermore, it is well known that Dutch Elm Disease destroyed many gorgeous areas all through Eastern North America, it was nothing about Winnipeg specifically.

Also, as Regina and Saskatoon were developed after Winnipeg, a lot of what was done here was done in Winnipeg first, so our cities will be fairly similar in some regards.

Thanks for the classy PM though... reported...

Last edited by Nathan; Jul 7, 2013 at 10:28 PM.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2013, 6:25 AM

Quote:
Like Wishblade said, I'm just stating that most Canadian cities have great tree canopies, it's not something that is particularly unique to Winnipeg (not to say that Winnipeg's isn't fantastic anyway)... and Elm came to mind because Regina and Saskatoon, cities where Elm trees make up a HUGE portion of the tree canopy, are currently battling Dutch Elm Disease infestations that have basically surrounded the cities. Furthermore, it is well known that Dutch Elm Disease destroyed many gorgeous areas all through Eastern North America, it was nothing about Winnipeg specifically.

Also, as Regina and Saskatoon were developed after Winnipeg, a lot of what was done here was done in Winnipeg first, so our cities will be fairly similar in some regards.

Thanks for the classy PM though... reported...
What you say may be true, but the question is, was your comment necessary? The first thing that popped into my head regarding your response was "Why say that?"

He is proud about his city's canopy, so why post about how it is simply average, in a context that contradicts how it is something to be loved? Roccerfeller, explained the uniqueness behind Winnipeg's Elm Canopy, and it is really something that we, as Winnipeggers can be proud of.

I have seen what other cities have to offer in terms of canopy, and you are right they are all beautiful, but I feel the same as Shinook in that Winnipeg's is somehow unique. It can't be explained.

Regina, Saskatoon, and Edmonton have beautiful Canopies as well. So do the other cities.

In terms of sheer size of Elm coverage though, no city is like Winnipeg, which has the largest urban population of mature Elms.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada