HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Feb 17, 2021, 4:57 PM

Highway 104 Twinning. Larger versions of the photos are on the projects website linked below.

Highway104Twinning.ca

Old Posted Feb 20, 2021, 4:51 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Also what happens to the cross roads with the now twinned portion of 103? Are they simply gated?

Old Posted Feb 20, 2021, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
Also what happens to the cross roads with the now twinned portion of 103? Are they simply gated?
If you're referring to Exit 5 to 5A twinning the answer is one overpass was built at Bowater Mersey / Hiking Trail Road to continue to provide access to the dams to the north. Most of the remaining lands along the corridor are crown land so no access is needed. The couple of logging roads that ended at the highway have other access points so they are now blocked off.

NSTIR tends to build service roads in the woods alongside freeways. They are usually not open to the public so quite often they have gates or signage. They run from the property that requires access to the closest interchange/overpass.

For Exit 5A to 6 there are a couple of intersections that need to be removed. One is next to exit 6 so I assume an access road will be built to Mill Lake Road. The other has a handful of residences on it and is a through intersection so I assume a underpass will be installed presumably in the metal culvert style.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2021, 2:53 PM

According to the Acadie Nouvelles today it appears that route 11 will be fully twined at the end of 2023 from Shediac Bridge to Ward road just before the Pay de la Sagouine exit. But the article further specifies that the sections that are under construction at the moment could be opened from here to the end of 2022. In my opinion I can’t figure out why it’s taking so long to twin 20KM of highway. The original plan was to have the work started in 2017 and finish this year. But with governmental delays under the Higgs government delayed the completion until 2023.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2021, 3:02 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

But there are still no plans to twin the bridge over the Cocagne River, correct???

Old Posted Mar 6, 2021, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

But there are still no plans to twin the bridge over the Cocagne River, correct???
According to the article the plan is to finish the existing work by the end of 2022 and then opening on the rest by the end of 2023. Only time will tell. I think when the work will be done on the causeway bridge they will shift the end focus on route 11.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2021, 5:25 PM

I realize it is not yet construction season, however, is there any road construction/bridge building happening right now in the Maritimes. They must be working on the 104 in Eastern NS?? IS there any other ongoing projects?

Old Posted Mar 13, 2021, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI highway guy View Post
I realize it is not yet construction season, however, is there any road construction/bridge building happening right now in the Maritimes. They must be working on the 104 in Eastern NS?? IS there any other ongoing projects?
They’re still working on the Burnside connector highway, the Windsor causeway twinning project and twining the 103 near hubbards. I’m not sure if they’re currently stopped for winter however.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2021, 9:30 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
They’re still working on the Burnside connector highway, the Windsor causeway twinning project and twining the 103 near hubbards. I’m not sure if they’re currently stopped for winter however.
Earth work for N.S.-104 twinning is happening even in the snow, based on the latest photos from the consortium’s website.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2021, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI highway guy View Post
The 102 has had bridge replacement/construction ongoing all winter. Bridges on either side of the Enfield exit are currently being replaced (Shubenacadie river). Temporary bridges constructed continue to carry four lanes of traffic uninterrupted.

They are also replacing the bridges over Nine Mile River between the Elmsdale exit and the new Lantz interchange. They have also built a temporary bridge to accommodate four lanes of traffic uninterrupted. Theses bridges are being replaced to accommodate six lanes of traffic between the Elmsdale interchange and the new Lantz interchange.

They are nearing completion of the bridges, this photo is from a year ago:

Old Posted Mar 14, 2021, 4:51 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

edit

Old Posted Mar 23, 2021, 2:49 PM

As expected, the two recent fatal collision on highway 11 has stirred the twinning pot.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2021, 2:53 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshark View Post
As expected, the two recent fatal collision on highway 11 has stirred the twinning pot.
Not a surprise. Highway 11 should be twinned to Bouctouche. This is a no brainer.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2021, 3:01 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Speaking of that, I've been curious: Is the ROW of the super 2 through Miramichi (particularly on the south approach of the bridge) wide enough for twinning?
(Also, I noticed that the exit numbers jump from 120 to 180 as the designation of the super-2 switches from N.B.-11 to N.B.-8.)

Old Posted Mar 23, 2021, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Speaking of that, I've been curious: Is the ROW of the super 2 through Miramichi (particularly on the south approach of the bridge) wide enough for twinning?
(Also, I noticed that the exit numbers jump from 120 to 180 as the designation of the super-2 switches from N.B.-11 to N.B.-8.)
Highway 8 starts in Fredericton goes to Douglastown (MIRAMIChi) and then turns north to Bathurst. So after Douglastown your Km markers are from the start of Highway 8 in Fredericton. Highway 11 starts in Shediac goes to Miramichi. 11 then goes NE AT A CLEARLY MARKED EXIT around the Acadian Coast back to Bathurst crossing THE NO 8. where highway 8 terminates. If you are going to Campbellton/Quebec. the markers get larger agaiN at BATHURST as you are back on highway 11. IT Drives me nuts.

IF you go on NB DOT Site you can find a spot that has exit numbers for each highway

Old Posted Mar 23, 2021, 6:51 PM

Quote:
this is the link to the exit numbers for route 8 and 11 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Brunswick_Route_8
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Brunswick_Route_11

Based on the map insert in the article route 11 hugs the coast but is not the most direct route fOr many northern NB COMMUNITIES

Old Posted Mar 23, 2021, 10:40 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

I see I see.
Now, back to the first question: How can the super-2 through Miramichi be twinned, including a bypass around Napan?

Old Posted Mar 23, 2021, 11:54 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
I see I see.
Now, back to the first question: How can the super-2 through Miramichi be twinned, including a bypass around Napan?
Easy: it won't be. Twinning to Bouctouche is in the cards and anything beyond that isn't feasible for the traffic the 11 gets.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2021, 12:35 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Easy: it won't be. Twinning to Bouctouche is in the cards and anything beyond that isn't feasible for the traffic the 11 gets.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cent...(New_Brunswick)
If 14.8K is considered low then......
I thought that even twinning the bridge was in the books at one point.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2021, 12:38 AM
Somewhat Pretentious

Has anyone seen the state of roads in towns like Campbellton? I think we should fix these local roads first. From a safety perspective I can understand the proposal for twinning but demographically the region is a sinking ship.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces