HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Mar 1, 2021, 5:14 PM

Looks like they're planning to finally add an extra lane on Stoney between 16th Avenue and Airport Trail in the NE. It's desperately needed!

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 4:25 AM

Should be from 17th ave.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 5:54 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

I agree - gotta widen south to 17th Ave SE.
It’s confusing, the list says 16th to Airport Tr. but the map shows a red line from 17th to Airport Tr.
http://https://www.alberta.ca/provincial-construction-program.aspx

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 4:35 PM

Stoney Trail and 11 Street NE Interchange Construction is out for tender - closes April 2, 2021.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Klozov View Post
Stoney Trail and 11 Street NE Interchange Construction is out for tender - closes April 2, 2021.
I had no idea that ANOTHER interchange was planned for that area! Is that going to be a full or partial interchange? Seems there will be a lot of interchanges in a short space in that section!

Old Posted Mar 6, 2021, 6:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCguys View Post
I had no idea that ANOTHER interchange was planned for that area! Is that going to be a full or partial interchange? Seems there will be a lot of interchanges in a short space in that section!
A full interchange, but will be built as a half interchange initially:
City of Calgary page

Old Posted Mar 6, 2021, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holhm22 View Post
A full interchange, but will be built as a half interchange initially
Golly! Those folks in the Coville area of Coventry Hills will have this interchange almost right outside their backyards! An interchange to nowhere (currently).

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCguys View Post
I think it is already roughed in from initial construction. You can see it when you drive by.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 2:32 AM

Do road designers in Calgary/Alberta ever ask the question; is this too many interchanges? Or is the minor increase in access more valuable than the increased weaving and decreased capacity on the road that matters?

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 3:02 PM

The planning seems incoherent. They put in half interchanges in the south and west to limit weaving, then they plan to put this interchange in such close proximity to the adjacent interchanges.

If you're going to build full interchanges that close together, you need to put in basketweaves.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
Do road designers in Calgary/Alberta ever ask the question; is this too many interchanges? Or is the minor increase in access more valuable than the increased weaving and decreased capacity on the road that matters?
In my experience it's usually the road designers that hit the brakes on jamming in more access. If political/business forces want it bad enough, they just make it work as best as they can. There are limits though...look at Deerfoot and Stoney in the South and the uproar at the time when it was built by people who live in Cranston and Auburn Bay.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2021, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
In my experience it's usually the road designers that hit the brakes on jamming in more access. If political/business forces want it bad enough, they just make it work as best as they can. There are limits though...look at Deerfoot and Stoney in the South and the uproar at the time when it was built by people who live in Cranston and Auburn Bay.
Fair enough, that sounds believable.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2021, 12:06 PM
Moran supreme

Drove by the short noise barrier wall on the noth side of Valley Ridge yesterday evening and yeah, it's a joke. It actually is shorter than the resident's fences directly behind it so really, I do not see the point of why monies were wasted on that ineffective noise barrier wall.

Also sucks for people owning homes backing out onto the TransCanada highway there as it is considerably above their properties - yeah, the TUC has been in place for decades but I can not think of any instances in Calgary in the over 40 years I've lived here where a section of roadway has been raised by so much. Now granted, they did purchase homes next to a major transportation corridor that was never going to be reduced in size and scope but that height adjustment is really quite stunning.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2021, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedog View Post
Also sucks for people owning homes backing out onto the TransCanada highway there as it is considerably above their properties - yeah, the TUC has been in place for decades but I can not think of any instances in Calgary in the over 40 years I've lived here where a section of roadway has been raised by so much. Now granted, they did purchase homes next to a major transportation corridor that was never going to be reduced in size and scope but that height adjustment is really quite stunning.
Definitely no examples of being raised a bunch and that close. I can think of a few places where the people who had generous distances from roads reduced when an interchange was built, or having a higher ramp built somewhat close by (Country Hills and Beddington, Stoney at Deerfoot and Stoney and Macleod), but this is more extreme. Geography isn't on Valley Ridge's side here with such a big hill to climb to the West. The really low design standards of the original interchange let them get away with a lot.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2021, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
Definitely no examples of being raised a bunch and that close. I can think of a few places where the people who had generous distances from roads reduced when an interchange was built, or having a higher ramp built somewhat close by (Country Hills and Beddington, Stoney at Deerfoot and Stoney and Macleod), but this is more extreme. Geography isn't on Valley Ridge's side here with such a big hill to climb to the West. The really low design standards of the original interchange let them get away with a lot.
Is the current road placement the final location. I have a suspicion the road will eventually get lowered once the final alignment is complete for the bridge over the bow river, dropping the peak of the TCH to the west, and final alignment of the crestwood interchange.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2021, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cage View Post
Is the current road placement the final location. I have a suspicion the road will eventually get lowered once the final alignment is complete for the bridge over the bow river, dropping the peak of the TCH to the west, and final alignment of the Crestmont interchange.
Fixed that for ya. Crestwood is a local road in Ogden.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2021, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cage View Post
Is the current road placement the final location. I have a suspicion the road will eventually get lowered once the final alignment is complete for the bridge over the bow river, dropping the peak of the TCH to the west, and final alignment of the crestwood interchange.
The new Valley Ridge/Crestmont interchange is going to be higher than the original interchange. This page shows a map with the original and proposed road profiles overlaid on each other: https://westringroad.ca/wp-content/u...ile_123020.pdf

All the new ramps are going to have to climb more to catch the new Trans-Canada roadway.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2021, 11:40 PM

Looks like prep. work has commenced on the Stoney Trail bridge replacement project over the Bow River (by the McKenzie golf course). Traffic signs are up and clearing of the central reservation on the approach to the bridge has begun (to facilitate cross-over traffic?).

Old Posted Apr 16, 2021, 2:12 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

^Yeah I saw that yesterday too.
Are there any plans floating around for this bridge replacement ?
I’d like to see what they are planning in terms of additional lanes at the Cranston & Sundance overpasses.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2021, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
^Yeah I saw that yesterday too.
Are there any plans floating around for this bridge replacement ?
I’d like to see what they are planning in terms of additional lanes at the Cranston & Sundance overpasses.
Alberta Transportation website show this project still in the design phase https://abtrans.maps.arcgis.com/apps...105b8defe05a2e

This map identifies design work on both EB and WB bridges, plus a pedestrian bridge. I assume demolition of the existing EB bridge can commence even though design of the new bridge is not yet complete.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure