HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Nov 14, 2006, 5:33 AM

Bucking the Trend

This is very subjective so I hope my fellow Phoenix forumers don't mind my choice. I was first going to choose the historic Phoenix City Hall...I know its hard to believe that a city as young as Phoenix has an historic city hall, but it's true and it is a beautiful building. But, I'm going to buck the trend of those who chose structures of classic greek-inspired or deco architecture and select a modern municipal building that artistically incorporates a renovated historic structure as well. I love the juxtaposition of the Phoenix Municipal Court building with the historic, renovated Walker Building. The modern court building, clad in vibrant Arizona sandstone, contrasts with the classic architecture of the white Walker building on the corner of the block. I think it's a visually stunning result

[IMG][/IMG]
[URL=http://imageshack.us]

[IMG][/IMG]

Old Posted Nov 14, 2006, 5:45 AM
BeenThere,DoneThat

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInTheZone
Anyway I've actually been meaning to ask, what's your opinion on the PECO tower on Market? Personally I think it's a rather exceptional international style black box, even if it is a bit late. It's got great slim proportions and I'm pretty sure the cantelevered west and east facades of the tower, along with the vertical piers, are alluding the PSFS:
I love PECO......think it's a masterpiece (wish it were bigger), but I couldn't call it beautiful. Same goes for almost all of the buildings seen in this thread. Many have merit of one kind or another but hardly any of them are "beautiful" IMO

Old Posted Nov 15, 2006, 2:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris550
Calgary - The Bow

Calgary should have built what Nashville is getting!

Old Posted Nov 15, 2006, 8:42 PM
Art Deco Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitSTAR
I have to disagree with both of you and say that the finest here in Detroit is the Guardian Building.

Of course you are entitled to your opinion but its rather ironic that you used a photograph I took to help dispute my own opinion! Actually that is not even the best side of the Guardian but the density of other buildings nearby make it difficult to get a good overall shot of the other side. I took the Preservation Wayne skyscraper tour a few months ago thinking that I could get access to the Penobscot Building's observation deck (which perhaps has the best view of the Guardian) but the tour no longer includes the trip to the top of the Penobscot.

While the Guardian certainly is the most colorful Art Deco skyscraper in Detroit if not the entire country, the overall shape is not as good as the Fisher Building. Both buildings feature equisite workmanship and fine materials.

I have been to Chicago a number of times and I would have to agree that the Wrigley is the most beautiful building in that city. As for the John Hancock (and the Sear Tower for that matter), words such as "imposing", "vision of strengh", or even "Sinister" would come to mind long before the word "beautiful".

Old Posted Nov 15, 2006, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desdeColombia
I think Governation Tower wins the title of "coolest building name".

Old Posted Nov 15, 2006, 9:59 PM
Honored Member

Exclamation

R.R. DONNELLY CENTER, WACKER DRIVE, DOWNTOWN CHICAGO is my favorite. This handsome skyscraper is reminiscent of Ancient Greece and will sure to inspire the Olympiads that come to compete in the Summer 2016 Games here in CHICAGO!!

-Sapphire Blue Eyes-

Last edited by SapphireBlueEyes; Nov 16, 2006 at 12:56 AM.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2006, 10:01 PM
Do you like... Huey Lewis

After careful thought: The Drake, for Philadelphia. I can hardly think o a more romantic, majestic skyscraper. Mumford lived there when he taught at Penn. It's a nearly perfect slab skyscraper, modern and refined, yet clearly historicist. I've never seen a tall building that looms so contextually over its neighborhood:

from Phillyskyline:

from Serge (this has been my desktop for months, I've tried to change it but always gone back):

"I'm exceedingly pro-growth, but I have to respectfully dissagree. Growth is not the holy grail, smart growth is. Uncontrolled, careless growth which ends up creating problems in the long run is called cancer." -Eigenwelt

Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.

Last edited by LostInTheZone; Nov 15, 2006 at 10:15 PM.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2006, 10:36 PM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
It's impossible to choose. Probably one of these.

Grove Arcade Public Market (as pictured by LSyd)

Biltmore House

Asheville City Hall

Jackson Building

Grove Park Inn

Basilica of St. Lawrence

"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Nov 15, 2006, 10:45 PM
Future Mayor of Chicago

The Sears Tower

"Auto-centric suburban sprawl is the devil physically manifesting himself in the built environment."

Old Posted Nov 15, 2006, 10:53 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphireblueeyes
-Sapphire Blue Eyes-
[I posted this last night and it did post and was removed by someone. This forum and people's opinions are subjective and should not be removed because someone disagrees with them!]
nobody deleted your post, sir paranoid, you simpy posted it in a different thread. here's the link: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...1&postcount=40

and for the record, RR donnelly is an absolute trainwreck of a building. it looks like a a greek temple on steroids that threw-up all over itself.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Nov 15, 2006 at 10:59 PM.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2006, 11:13 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan
nobody deleted your post, sir paranoid, you simpy posted it in a different thread. here's the link: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...1&postcount=40

and for the record, RR donnelly is an absolute trainwreck of a building. it looks like a a greek temple on steroids that threw-up all over itself.
You're a pathetic Mies fan aren't you? You poor soul. All of his buildings look like train tracks that threw up on the cities they were built in. I feel sorry that tourists have to look at such monstrousities.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2006, 11:16 PM
Future Mayor of Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan
I dont think he realized that at first, its easy to confuse the two threads.

"Auto-centric suburban sprawl is the devil physically manifesting himself in the built environment."

Old Posted Nov 16, 2006, 11:04 AM
Dérive-r

For Vancouver, I've always been a fan of the Marine Building (1930)...

Last edited by raggedy13; Nov 16, 2006 at 11:19 AM.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2006, 1:34 PM
Member of SSP since 1997

"and for the record, RR donnelly is an absolute trainwreck of a building. it looks like a a greek temple on steroids that threw-up all over itself."

I completely agree - and I'm not half the Mies fan that you are.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2006, 9:42 PM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
The Marine Building is really something. That's some amazing detail.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Nov 16, 2006, 10:06 PM
Honored Member

Smile o.k. grace jones...

If you're a Bond fan, you'll know what the reference to Grace Jones means...

but besides that...The Donnelly Center is stunning at night. At least it's not a big black turd on a shingle obstructing the view of buildings 1/1,000th worthy of praise that a Mies building deserves. I wouldn't wish a Mies building on my worse suburban office park...
I do like one thing that Mies invented, a real nice chase lounge chair that I've been told is attributed to him, besides that...yuck!!

-Sapphire Blue Eyes-

Citizens For Better Planning-Luckily, an organization founded long after the Mies architectural disaster era.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay
"and for the record, RR donnelly is an absolute trainwreck of a building. it looks like a a greek temple on steroids that threw-up all over itself."

I completely agree - and I'm not half the Mies fan that you are.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2006, 10:14 PM
Honored Member

Smile real nice, however...

For Vancouver, I've always been a fan of the Marine Building (1930)...

very beautiful, except for the modern windows-nice wood windows divided by window panes would have added so much more, but people go on the cheap and install modern crap to otherwise gorgeous buildings...homeowners often do the same, they go for the cheap rather than old world craftsmanship...and that's a shame.

My high school did the same thing, instead of replacing real wood trimmed windows that had nice window panes, they installed the exact windows that your favorite building has...it changed the look of an otherwise beautiful building dating back to the mid-1800's...

what a pity

-Sapphire Blue Eyes-

Citizens For Better Planning

Old Posted Nov 16, 2006, 10:31 PM
Do you like... Huey Lewis

^that building would probably have had stainless steel, aluminum, or aother metal for window frames, especially being Art Deco. While I kind of agree with the point you are making, especially when you're talking, say, a Victorian house, yes, modern windowframes stick out terribly. But in this case, this is an office building, the reflective insulated glass panes are pretty much a necessity.

It IS a gorgeous building, by the way. Art Deco at its best.
"I'm exceedingly pro-growth, but I have to respectfully dissagree. Growth is not the holy grail, smart growth is. Uncontrolled, careless growth which ends up creating problems in the long run is called cancer." -Eigenwelt

Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2006, 11:01 PM
Great White Norf

for Buffalo, I think the most beautiful building is the Electric Tower (nee Niagara Mohawk building). It is currently being renovated into class 'A' office space.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2006, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphireblueeyes
At least it's not a big black turd on a shingle obstructing the view of buildings 1/1,000th worthy of praise that a Mies building deserves.
All that hatred from a guy who lives in a big black building....

SSDD

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture