HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 1:40 PM

World's second tallest building tops out in Malaysia

The spire of a soaring 118-story skyscraper has topped out at over 2,227 feet above Malaysia's capital, Kuala Lumpur.

Set to become the world's second tallest building upon its completion next year, Merdeka 118 now stands higher than China's 2,073-foot Shanghai Tower and is dwarfed only by the Burj Khalifa in Dubai.

At a ceremony marking the spire's completion on Tuesday, Malaysian Prime Minister Ismail Sabri Yaakob described the project as an "iconic tower for the future."

"This is not only a great achievement in the field of engineering," he told reporters. "But it also further strengthens Malaysia's position as a modern and developed country."

https://www.cnn.com/style/article/me...per/index.html

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 1:59 PM

Love tall towers, but it's a shame it's built in an incredibly autocentric place, cut off from everything.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 2:27 PM
arf

My favourite tall building being built right now. It has a concept behind the form. I like that a lot.

I'm not sure about it being cut off from everything. It is on top of one subway line and right beside another two subway lines as well as a block from the monorail line.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 2:38 PM

How many countries must build a 2000+ ft building before US decides it wants to participate.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 2:41 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ "the US" doesn't decide anything in these matters.

If a developer thinks he can make big bucks building a 2,000' tower in a US city, and secures the necessary approvals and funding, it will be built.

If not, no dice.

Simple as that.

Chicago Spire Hole Still Empty by Zol87, on Flickr

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 2:48 PM
The Vomit Bag.

This one is quite interesting. I like it. That nearby observation tower now looks completely redundant (as perhaps the observation deck(s) at the Petronas towers)
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
^ "the US" doesn't decide anything in these matters.

If a developer thinks he can make big bucks building a 2,000' tower in a US city, and secures the necessary approvals and funding, it will be built.

If not, no dice.

Simple as that.

Chicago Spire Hole Still Empty by Zol87, on Flickr
The funding wasn't there for the Chicago Spire, but I have no doubt in my mind that NYC would have several 2000+ foot structures if it wasn't for local zoning or the FAA ensuring the efficient use of airspace. Over parts of Manhattan, there really should be no local or Federal height limit, in my opinion.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri View Post
Love tall towers, but it's a shame it's built in an incredibly autocentric place, cut off from everything.
There are hundreds of buildings (I don't know, I didn't count them) in that picture above and they all manage to look like they were built in the middle of nowhere. I guess Dubai has a similar thing going on. It hurts my brain.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 4:16 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
There are hundreds of buildings (I don't know, I didn't count them) in that picture above and they all manage to look like they were built in the middle of nowhere. I guess Dubai has a similar thing going on. It hurts my brain.
Streetview Kuala Lumpur and 200m away from this building built around nothing is:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@3.142936...7i16384!8i8192

Just turn yourself around and look up, way, way up.

I started wandering Kuala Lumpur when someone started posting construction pictures earlier this year and it is amazing in its messiness and vibrancy.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 4:28 PM

That looks awesome. But then a block away, this:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@3.142828...7i16384!8i8192

The mind boggles. Looking forward to visiting one day.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Streetview Kuala Lumpur and 200m away from this building built around nothing is:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@3.142936...7i16384!8i8192

Just turn yourself around and look up, way, way up.

I started wandering Kuala Lumpur when someone started posting construction pictures earlier this year and it is amazing in its messiness and vibrancy.
That link to look for the tower was a really cool exercise. Point made.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 4:52 PM
them bones

Walking around KL (at least when I was there in 2006) was challenging yes, and the city felt like more of a series of disparate patches. However, each was easily connected via the train. The dense, low rise area just to the left of this tower in the photo was absolutely amazing to walk around. Trying to walk from KLCC (Petronas) to the observation tower? It was like trying to walk from Century City to UCLA. Not far, but not easy either.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 4:54 PM

This thing is utterly hideous and I don't understand how Malaysia is building all these mega towers in the last few years. Labor must still be mostly slave or extremely cheap.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 5:04 PM
你的媽媽

Beautiful tower. Asia knows how to get things done!

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 5:04 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
That looks awesome. But then a block away, this:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@3.142828...7i16384!8i8192

The mind boggles. Looking forward to visiting one day.
Totally. It is a crazy mess of an urban settlement. I've probably lost many hours wandering around streetview.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
This thing is utterly hideous and I don't understand how Malaysia is building all these mega towers in the last few years. Labor must still be mostly slave or extremely cheap.
Last few years? Try the last 30 years or so. Petronas Towers construction started in 1992

Malaysian Oil and Sovereign Wealth Funds have deep pockets and whether or not building supertalls is wise decision or not is a matter of philosophical discussion. And yes, they are likely built with the help low paid foreign labour from countries like Bangladesh and Indonesia. Hardly "slaves" - a term that seems to be frequently used by people who want to deride and diminish accomplishments from non-white countries.

Yes Malaysia is a "developing" country still but is at the upper echelons and is also considered an NIC. I mean the racial demographics of KL is basically identical to that of Singapore and foreign investment has been pouring into the country for the past 40 years or so.

Also, the tower's shape is supposed to mimic the silhouette of the First Prime Minister when he proclaimed independence

Last edited by CivicBlues; Dec 3, 2021 at 6:49 PM.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Nah, the building looks really good up until the top.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
Hardly "slaves" - a term that seems to be frequently used by people who want to deride and diminish accomplishments from non-white countries.
Uh no, don't act like most of these useless mega towers aren't built with slave or near slave labor. "low paid foreign labour" hardly sounds any better, sorry. Foreign workers are usually scammed by recruiting agencies and trapped into working on projects like this.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 8:39 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. View Post
How many countries must build a 2000+ ft building before US decides it wants to participate.
To be fair it's 2k by way of pinnacle, roof wise it's a little higher than Central Park Tower

After 500 meters who even cares tbh

Props to KL though, it's not my favorite skyline but they sure are ambitious

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Uh no, don't act like most of these useless mega towers aren't built with slave or near slave labor. "low paid foreign labour" hardly sounds any better, sorry. Foreign workers are usually scammed by recruiting agencies and trapped into working on projects like this.
Yeah you're confusing Malaysia with Gulf countries like Qatar and UAE. Does shady shit happen? Of course, but not the horrible conditions experienced in the latter.

"Useless Megatowers" this is a skyscrarper forum bud wtf are you even doing here?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture