HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makid View Post
I think many of us have seen this coming. The last few proposals had some minor restoration but always including a tower.

The reason that the previous proposals didn't work is due to the lack of parking for the tower occupants and access from the parking to the tower itself.

Now, I like the tower design but I would love for them to provide more details about the reuse of the items. If they can't restore, reuse is next best. In that, I would love it if they could use the stage frame and some of the cornice items in highly visible locations, perhaps around the elevator core on the main floor.

I also think that there needs to be direct guarantees that the tower will actually be built before any demolition permit is given. There is still to much history of older buildings being taken down and not having anything replace them in short order, APS being one on the same block.

I still wish they could have found a way to build the tower, restore the theater and add a connection to the building from the parking structure.
While I am disappointed to see another historical loss, what the city would be getting in return is pretty awesome. A new tower, affordable housing, park in the city center, mid block connection and retail. That is exciting.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post
Yes, and the article announcing its demolition didn't come out until AFTER they already started demoing it.
I think the public should sue for the cost of the building, put the money towards restoration of other buildings in the city... like the Hot springs bath house, or the Pantages Theater.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentrification View Post
This would become the most attractive and engaging building in salt lake if built.
I hope your project dies, mr. one post to your name Gentrification.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 7:31 PM
Eschew Obfuscation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old&New View Post
I hope your project dies, mr. one post to your name Gentrification.
Wait, what happened?

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrendog View Post
That looks more than twice the height of the 210 foot is bank bldg. New tallest?
Article says 375 ft

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 10:20 PM

Having toured the old Utah Theatre recently myself, I'm not surprised that they feel it is a better move to demolish and reuse what they can. The theatre really does seem to be too far gone. And I like this proposal...

...but nothing the RDA or the city has done lately prompts me to believe this will happen either. We'll end up with another hole for the better part of a decade and then it'll be back to the drawing board.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-15 View Post
Article says 375 ft
Hmm... Sure looks taller than 375!

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 12:55 AM

I like it a lot. Too bad this was posted in the Tribune. They don't allow you to copy image addresses like the desnews. Can someone post the other renderings of the mid-block passage and pantages park on the parking structure?

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 1:20 AM

The images may be able to be pulled from the Meeting Materials pdf. It can be downloaded here: https://www.slc.gov/council/agendas/

There are more images but they start on page 163. The additional images do make it look better overall. I love the skyline render.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 1:43 AM

I’m having a hard time pulling up the photos using my phone. What meeting date do you click on for the link to this new tower renderings.

Thanks for Sharing!

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 2:18 AM

Main Street Tower Renderings

Screenshotted every rendering from the pdf and posted them on my new reddit I made just so everyone wouldn't have a hard time finding them
https://www.reddit.com/u/PencilSLC?u...m_source=share

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 2:22 AM

I like how thin it appears when looking directly from Main St. Doesn't have that monolith feel like some of our buildings have.

Edit: For fun I threw it in the future skyline render from SL Tribune. The perspective is off, but hopefully gives an idea of how it will fill the skyline.

https://imgur.com/a/6gmu363

Last edited by SLC PopPunk; Aug 21, 2019 at 2:36 AM. Reason: Added image

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 2:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pencil View Post
Screenshotted every rendering from the pdf and posted them on my new reddit I made just so everyone wouldn't have a hard time finding them
https://www.reddit.com/u/PencilSLC?u...m_source=share
Thanks for posting those photos! The skyline view is pretty incredible and what a nice tall and THIN building can do to our skyline. It makes me think our skyline looks shorter then it really is due to the fat buildings. Specifically the Wells Fargo tower.

I Really hope a building like that rendering comes along one day.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 4:55 AM

Liberty Sky

Just a quick question. Does anyone know what is taking Liberty Sky so long? Any chance the project wont happen?

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 5:04 AM

Will the TRAX cars be replaced with the old ones in the rendering?

Seriously though, that building would look great in the skyline.
As others have said, I wouldn't want any demolition to start without assurances that the project will be completed.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 6:03 AM

Beautiful Tower! Great addition to the skyline

Looks like they used a old picture of the Salt Lake City skyline. It’s missing the 111 main tower. Would’ve been cool to see what the skyline looked like with it and the new Utah Theater tower.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 6:52 AM

Losing the Utah Theater would be very sad, but sometimes a real effort is made to preserve something and it just doesn't work out. $40+ million to restore a theater that may never get used for anything is a big ask, and from the sounds of it, no private developer or non-profit was willing to touch it. Downtown Salt Lake City has quite a lot of theater space already, and it's hard to imagine another theater finding enough of a niche to justify the restoration cost.

Also, if that's really what we get as a replacement, then I'm sold. As others have said, however, we should get 100% assurance that it would actually get built before demolition.

UTA destroying that old warehouse is a shame though. I agree that would have been a great space to repurpose and revitalize that area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah_Dave View Post
I’m having a hard time pulling up the photos using my phone. What meeting date do you click on for the link to this new tower renderings.

Thanks for Sharing!
It's the August 20th RDA meeting minutes. You have to scroll nearly to the bottom of the PDF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taboubak View Post
Just a quick question. Does anyone know what is taking Liberty Sky so long? Any chance the project wont happen?
I was wondering this myself the other day as I walked past. Then again, if it's still slated for Q3 as I heard before, then there's still another month in that timeframe. I did hear "the end of summer" brought up before, but if anybody in the know has any updates that would be great.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 12:28 PM

Ok. Those other renderings make it look 375. Still a great looking tower for SLC. Fingers crossed

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 3:37 PM

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC PopPunk View Post
I like how thin it appears when looking directly from Main St. Doesn't have that monolith feel like some of our buildings have.

Edit: For fun I threw it in the future skyline render from SL Tribune. The perspective is off, but hopefully gives an idea of how it will fill the skyline.

https://imgur.com/a/6gmu363
Can you make it taller? It should be about 50' taller than what you are showing.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West