HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 11, 2007, 12:31 AM

Old Posted Jan 11, 2007, 4:30 PM
H-town Baller

Just so people aren't confused, the new development will be midrise buildings and not the oppulent twin giants originally planned. Disappointing on one end but a positive impact overall, as it shows the continued movment towards multi-unit living inside the loop.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2007, 7:45 PM

I actually can say I'm not mad about the Orion.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2007, 9:37 PM

I liked the look of the towers.

That said, I am glad the project flopped. That would have been a disaster to the area. There is just ONE way in and out of Asbury and that is Memorial Drive. The traffic is already wicked bad and I was never too keen on what would have been the impact on the Buffalo Bayou.

A midrise is a much better solution.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2007, 7:36 PM

some recent stuff

Anyone know what this is. East side of downtown

Near Mosaic??

Old Posted Jan 14, 2007, 12:21 AM
Never been to El Paso

oh man - i hope they made that train crossing a quiet zone

Old Posted Jan 15, 2007, 4:32 AM
Baryonic Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordElPaso View Post
oh man - i hope they made that train crossing a quiet zone

I doubt it. I sometimes drive through there and if it's not the blaring train alarms, it's the thunderous massive train itself. Trains are no quiet beast.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2007, 6:55 AM
Never been to El Paso

yeah, i lived on the east side for a year - until i got an awesome little sound machine about 4 months in, living there was a nightmare - blaring trains at 4/5am, some nights every hour!

Old Posted Jan 16, 2007, 12:11 PM

Old Posted Jan 16, 2007, 3:02 PM

Thanks for the updates. The East DT project is the Canal Street apartments I believe.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2007, 1:53 PM

Heres another shot of discovery green from the roof of the magnolia hotel

and heres two pics just for fun

Old Posted Jan 20, 2007, 7:31 AM
Baryonic Lord

nice

Old Posted Jan 20, 2007, 6:42 PM

The people who are developing the Endeavour Clear Lake in Pasadena (a 30 story tower with 80 condos) are going to be busy. The Endeavour Clear Lake will be finished in mid 2007. Here's the rendering...

Adjacent to this property, the Endeavour Group has already broken ground on the Endeavour Marina at Parkside. This will be a mixed use development with close to 100,000 square feet of space and plenty of boat storage capabilities. In April of 2007, they will break ground on The Endeavour Parkside. The E.P. will be 34 floors tall and house 146 condo units. Completion is anticipated in late 2008. Here's the rendering...

Now the group is planning to develop another marina with mixed-use space, including to residential "loft" towers. No details have been announced on the towers but here's an early rendering. This will be located on Clear Lake but in the town of Seabrook...

Finally, the group is proposing a $100 million development called Endeavour Poretto Beach in Galveston. This multi unit condo/hotel project will be located on the Seawall. No other details have been released yet though.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2007, 8:56 PM

Nice stuff coming to the lake. ^^

WesternGulf, empty out some of your private messages so I can write you back. I'm giving you my cell # and tell me the exact date your coming to town.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2007, 3:49 PM

It only makes sense being on the Fannin South station and all.

Jan. 21, 2007, 9:05AM
AstroWorld site's transformation surges ahead
Group seeks city designation to aid in acreage's development

By NANCY SARNOFF
Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

The investment group that bought the former AstroWorld site is moving forward with plans to redevelop the 104-acre property.

Angel/McIver Interests is seeking the creation of a municipal management district for the site.

The special district would help finance infrastructure, such as roads and drainage systems, as well as parking facilities, landscaping and security, according to Robert Randolph, an attorney working with the Conroe-based company that bought the acreage last summer.

The investment group is planning a mixed-use transit-oriented development for the former theme park land. It would include high-density residential units, offices, shops and a hotel.

The management district would sell bonds to build the facilities, as well as collect taxes, user fees, parking revenues and potentially levy special assessments on property owners to pay for the bonds.

Part of the plan includes a proposal to reroute the light rail line through the property.

A Metro spokeswoman said the Metropolitan Transit Authority has requested a proposal from Angel/McIver, but it has not yet received it.

Management districts are meant to promote employment, economic development and public welfare in commercial areas.

Other Houston-area districts include downtown, Uptown, Greenspoint, Upper Kirby, Westchase and the Energy Corridor.

The Legislature approves the districts and initially appoints their boards.

Angel/McIver could not be reached for comment.

AstroWorld closed in 2005 after 37 years in business. Park attendance had been waning, while the value of the real estate had risen.

Angel/McIver signed a contract last year to buy the site from Six Flags for $77 million.

To be sure, the area has been in transformation.

While there are still numerous industrial developments there, townhome builders have been adding new housing and investors have been snapping up parcels and betting on the area's future potential.

Located just outside of the 610 Loop between Fannin and Kirby, the former AstroWorld site is near Reliant Park, the Texas Medical Center and Metro's light rail line.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...z/4484877.html

Old Posted Jan 23, 2007, 4:05 PM
disorient yourself?

Great news! The city pushes south.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2007, 5:09 PM
H-town Baller

That would indeed be a great stimulus for southern development. It would help increase the city's overall density and provide infrastructure to an area that sorely needs it.

And it could lead to the eventual development of yet another skyline district. Of course, it all depends on how it's handled both by the city and the private group seeking to redevelop the land.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2007, 8:36 PM

Will there be a theme park in 2010?

I don't know this true, or not. But, I've heard Astroworld, or some other theme park brought over one hundred of acres out in Katy and it will be finish by 2010.

Where I got this source? From my brother that works for Chervon downtown. They told him about what's going on with Astroworld, and the reason why they moved.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2007, 9:11 PM
Austinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston Proud View Post
I don't know this true, or not. But, I've heard Astroworld, or some other theme park brought over one hundred of acres out in Katy and it will be finish by 2010.

Where I got this source? From my brother that works for Chervon downtown. They told him about what's going on with Astroworld, and the reason why they moved.
Weren't there also rumors of Disney gobbling up some land in or near Katy? Of course there are rumors of Disney just about everywhere (including Austin, some years ago).

However, I have no reason to doubt the posibility of a Six Flags near Katy... lots of available land, good access to an interregional freeway, and plenty of young families to draw from on the west side. Time will tell.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2007, 8:43 AM

ALLEN HOUSE BECOME MIXED-USE PROJECT

Allen House, long a local residential icon, will soon be gone, replaced by a mixed-use project of housing, offices and retail
From the ground up

ALONG scenic Allen Parkway and five minutes from downtown, the Allen House Apartments are a local institution, a place college students, seniors, actors and journalists have called home.

The owners of the property want to make it a different kind of local landmark.

On Tuesday, residents there were told that the Boston-based real estate firm that has owned the complex for two decades plans to turn the 24 acres of prime land into Regent Square, a mixed-use urban village housing apartments, condominiums, shops and a boutique hotel.

For Houston, known for its suburban sprawl, Regent Square will be something different: an open, walkable neighborhood for living, working, shopping and dining.

The developer, GID Urban Development Group, a division of the General Investment and Development Cos., has hired seven architecture firms to design the project.

GID owns 12,000 apartment units nationally.

The first phase, scheduled to start construction in September and to be completed in 2010, will offer 740 apartment units, 230,000 square feet of retail, 60,000 square feet of office space and a hotel on two city blocks.

A future phase of the project GID hopes to complete by 2014 could have 1,000 more residential units, including three condominium towers, more apartments and another 100,000 square feet of retail space.

Other plans rumored
It's not the only major mixed-use project being proposed locally. Wulfe & Co. already announced its plans for a 21-acre BLVD Place near the Galleria, and others are rumored to be in the works.

Even among such projects, however, Regent Square may be unique. Most local mixed-use proposals are to be on massive square-block sites, whereas Regent Square is on an irregularly shaped property that aims to blend into the fabric of the surrounding neighborhood.

John Darrah, vice president, GID Urban Development Group, said he hopes to create a "symbiotic relationship" with nearby River Oaks Shopping Center to encourage shoppers to visit both districts on the same trip.

Regent Square will be bordered on the north by Allen Parkway, south by West Clay, east by Dunlavy and west by Tirrell.

Darrah would not disclose the project's cost.

Conventional wisdom
A mixed-use project like Regent Square goes against the conventional wisdom of Houston developers, said Michael Swartz, a project manager at David M. Schwarz/Architectural Services, the Washington, D.C., firm that is doing the master plan.

"In Houston, there's a mind-set of: You make your return on investment in three years," but with Regent Square, Swartz said, "you have an owner who's committed to a project for a very long term. They've owned the property for 20 years
and expect to keep it for
20 years or more.

"An early exit strategy wouldn't work with a project like this."

Schwarz has designed other mixed-use projects in Texas. They include West Village in Dallas, Southlake Town Square outside Fort Worth and Ameriquest Field/Ballpark in Arlington.

Houston-based Morris Architects is the project's executive architect. It will oversee the design and construction of the project in collaboration with design firms, including Schwarz, Robert A.M. Stern Architects, Aponwao Design in Miami and B&D Studio in Parma, Italy.

In the first phase, most of the buildings will be traditionally styled, between four and eight stories, while a few prominently featured structures will be contemporary.

Urban mixed-use projects reflect a national trend and are increasingly popular among empty nesters and young professionals, particularly those who are tired of long automobile commutes, said Michael Beyard, a senior fellow at the Urban Land Institute.

Regent Square's location "couldn't be much better" for an urban-style mixed-use project, said Kent Dussair, president of CDS Market Research, a Houston-based professional consulting firm. "Allen Parkway is one of Houston's gems."

Right circumstances
Many people want to live near downtown, given the right circumstances and environment and residential unit price, he said.

"I think it will be very exciting for the northern end of Montrose. The design, from what I saw, is really very exciting," said Sue Lovell, at-large city council member.

The city will likely have to grant variances for the project, she said. It will look at potential negative effects from the new development, such as more traffic congestion.

"The beauty of their project is there's a lot of entrances and exits, as opposed to other projects in Montrose sending lots of traffic out one way into very busy streets," she said.

New streets will be constructed on the site: a main north-south thoroughfare and another going east-west, parallel to and south of Dallas.

About 30 percent of Regent Square will be devoted to public space, such as wide sidewalks and a public square.

There will be underground, street level and above-ground parking.

The 896 units in the Allen House complex are nearly full.

Christine Covelli, who rents a one-bedroom apartment at Allen House, said she'd live there forever if she could.

"At least now it's moderately priced," she said.

Allen House, which was built in the 1960s, has been a close-knit community, she said. The six-year resident often barbecues in the courtyards with other tenants.

Notices of the impending apartment demolition were sent Tuesday to the 600 residents in the part of the complex that will be developed first.

They will not have to move out until June, Darrah said, and longer-term residents will receive various move-out benefits, relocation help and discounts on rent if they choose to move into Regent Square.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4494021.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations