HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Mar 21, 2021, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuriandrade View Post
Netherlands started restricting marijuana in part due annoying and noisy American youngsters disturbing their streets.
Are you kidding? You don't know shit about the Netherlands. All those Ricans are too far away, barely can afford or have any time to travel that far.

The Dutch started to complain about their liberal drug policy when the French youngsters (in particular) invaded them for that reason. Because France is very next door. It takes only a couple of hours to drive from Paris to Amsterdam. It is next door.
So, in real life, the Dutch hardly give a shit about the Ricans. They care about themselves first and foremost. That is their mindset, as well as Northern Europe's mindset as a whole.

We're sick of finding all those French kids vomiting in our gutters.
That's literally what they said at some point. That's why they thought of restrictions to fucking tourists about their drug policy, and they were damn right.

Indeed, it takes much maturity to grow a liberal nation.
While we're at it, let's legalize cocaine, all kinds of amphetamines, heroin and so on.
But then you'd stumble into the dead bodies of junkies in NYC and Paris if we did that overnight. That would be grim.

Legalizing marijuana and hashish is yet a first step to do, because at least, that wouldn't kill anybody from any overdose.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2021, 8:35 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

lol.

anyway americans are wound pretty tight these days. weed isn’t the worst thing in the world.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2021, 8:37 PM
BANNED

Quote:
There's nothing wrong with this concept. However, we shouldn't make other people smell your smoke. It took decades to make tobacco smoker to realize that, and I hope it won't take that long with marijuana.

Now, it's a more subjective taken, I really find that US/Canada fascination childish. It's only a drug and it's not like people in the US won't take tons of other drugs anyway. And it's not only me. Netherlands started restricting marijuana in part due annoying and noisy American youngsters disturbing their streets.
Hell yeah! Let's regulate farts too! I don't want to smell bad things!

Old Posted Mar 21, 2021, 8:59 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post

Interesting how this new industry is playing out. 3 of the 5 biggest weed companies is based in Chicago:

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/mari...con-valley-pot

I don’t know what Chicago’s future in the business of weed holds ......
Chicago may be a leader in the US cannabis industry but Canada has 'first mover' status. The spoils often go to first movers as they typically build a big lead on everyone else. The world's biggest cannabis companies are almost all Canadian. They've built scale, capital, key partnerships, and global distribution. If this plays out like other industry sectors they'll simply gobble up the most promising cannabis companies that emerge in other countries. I'm not suggesting that no global cannabis companies will emerge in the US but they have a ton of catching up to do.

Canadian cannabis companies by Market Capitalization: Billions of USD

Canopy Growth: $13.24
Aphria: $6.18
Tilray: $4.25
Cronos Group: $3.68
Sundial Growers: $2.47
Aurora Cannabis: $2.01

https://companiesmarketcap.com/canad...by-market-cap/

Old Posted Mar 21, 2021, 9:11 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
There's nothing wrong with this concept. However, we shouldn't make other people smell your smoke.
I don't know how it works in the US but in Canada smoking is generally prohibited indoors. I hate 2nd hand smoke on the sidewalk but there's little one can do other than legislation. In Bedford, Nova Scotia you can only smoke on your own property so smoking on a city sidewalk is illegal. It's been that way for about 30 years. If it gets too problematic I have no issue with a similar move nationwide.

It bears mentioning that a good share of the recreational cannabis market are edibles rather than stuff to be smoked. It's also used as a textile. Pharmaceutical cannabis is big business too.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2021, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousquet View Post
Are you kidding? You don't know shit about the Netherlands. All those Ricans are too far away, barely can afford or have any time to travel that far.

The Dutch started to complain about their liberal drug policy when the French youngsters (in particular) invaded them for that reason. Because France is very next door. It takes only a couple of hours to drive from Paris to Amsterdam. It is next door.
So, in real life, the Dutch hardly give a shit about the Ricans. They care about themselves first and foremost. That is their mindset, as well as Northern Europe's mindset as a whole.

We're sick of finding all those French kids vomiting in our gutters.
That's literally what they said at some point. That's why they thought of restrictions to fucking tourists about their drug policy, and they were damn right.

Indeed, it takes much maturity to grow a liberal nation.
While we're at it, let's legalize cocaine, all kinds of amphetamines, heroin and so on.
But then you'd stumble into the dead bodies of junkies in NYC and Paris if we did that overnight. That would be grim.

Legalizing marijuana and hashish is yet a first step to do, because at least, that wouldn't kill anybody from any overdose.
That's funny. Do French people really call Americans "Ricans"?

Old Posted Mar 21, 2021, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Yeah he seems to be stuck in the past. Going to Amsterdam to smoke pot in 2021

Old Posted Mar 21, 2021, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
That's funny. Do French people really call Americans "Ricans"?
You know, les Ricains... Nothing insulting.

I think it used to be a bit disparaging (when I wasn't born yet), but it is not really any longer.
It's just some kind of contraction to call US citizens exclusively.

People from say, Peru, Canada, Mexico, Paraguay and so on are never called "Ricains".
The contraction is relevant to so-called Americans only.

The thing is the Americas are sometimes taken collectively here, as a whole different continent (or couple of continents) across the Atlantic ocean. It's just a geographic thing, nothing more.
Then Peruvians, Canadians, Mexicans, Paraguayans and so on may be collectively called "Americans", like people from the Americas from a strictly geographic standpoint.

It's only because it's Europe here. However, I noticed we'd never call people from French Guiana, Guadeloupe or Martinique Americans. Because they belong to the French Republic, then they are French (wink).

It's just old habits by geographic and cultural things.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2021, 9:45 PM
E pluribus unum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
Not to mention the uncountable number of lives that it wrecked over the decades via America's asinine "war on drugs/industrial prison" complex.
It's getting a little better, but we've still got a long way to go.

One of the good things about Arizona passing Prop 207 last November was that it retroactively reversed marijuana-related felony and misdemeanor convictions. My department spent about two months prior to the November 2020 election poring over our records trying to figure out who was eligible for termination from probation. I don't know if the other states that legalized pot before us also did something similar? I'd like to think so...

Old Posted Mar 22, 2021, 12:38 AM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Weed is great for chronic pain. As soon as my assbackwards state allows for medical marijuana, I am going to get an Rx.
Assbackward?

I’d take so much of what Texas has going on over something as silly as being able to smoke weed legally

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Mar 22, 2021, 1:14 AM

Quote:
You know, les Ricains... Nothing insulting.

I think it used to be a bit disparaging (when I wasn't born yet), but it is not really any longer.
It's just some kind of contraction to call US citizens exclusively.

People from say, Peru, Canada, Mexico, Paraguay and so on are never called "Ricains".
The contraction is relevant to so-called Americans only.

The thing is the Americas are sometimes taken collectively here, as a whole different continent (or couple of continents) across the Atlantic ocean. It's just a geographic thing, nothing more.
Then Peruvians, Canadians, Mexicans, Paraguayans and so on may be collectively called "Americans", like people from the Americas from a strictly geographic standpoint.

It's only because it's Europe here. However, I noticed we'd never call people from French Guiana, Guadeloupe or Martinique Americans. Because they belong to the French Republic, then they are French (wink).

It's just old habits by geographic and cultural things.
It's funny because "Rican" means from Puerto Rico here. I think Brits would probably know that, so I figured it must be a French specific term.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2021, 4:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
It's funny because "Rican" means from Puerto Rico here. I think Brits would probably know that, so I figured it must be a French specific term.
Yeah! I thought it was hate on Puerto Rico.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2021, 9:34 AM

Quote:
Interesting how this new industry is playing out. 3 of the 5 biggest weed companies is based in Chicago:

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/mari...con-valley-pot

But even more interestingly, as an anecdote we came downtown yesterday for the first time in a while. Now, I’ve been coming to downtown Chicago for decades and something was noticeably different:

It smelled like weed.....everywhere. I know that recreational weed is legal here now but...hot damn! Talk about a sudden surge of unrepressed demand. We’ve got a regular weed party going on over here on the streets.

Is this the case everywhere? I don’t know what Chicago’s future in the business of weed holds, but in the consumption its already shaping up to be a superstar according to my olfactory sense.
I've been here for just over a year, I smell weed almost 24/7. I am serious. It is almost constant.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2021, 12:52 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
I've been here for just over a year, I smell weed almost 24/7. I am serious. It is almost constant.
^ Yeah, I mean it's quite noticeable.

This thread really isn't about me trying to be funny.....come to downtown Chicago. You smell weed like all day. I think people are mostly doing it in their cars because I believe you're still not allowed to walk around and smoke a joint in public. But if you toke from a bowl or a one-hitter in your car, you likely won't draw much attention to yourself. Plus, I bet the police aren't going to bother you anyhow as long as you aren't being a belligerent ass or aren't crashing your car into pedestrians or something.

On another note: just wait until August and the College/University campuses are (mostly) back to full in-person learning. Holy schnoikens, Shaggy, a haze may descend over the entire city!!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Mar 22, 2021, 1:11 PM

Quote:
^ Yeah, I mean it's quite noticeable.

This thread really isn't about me trying to be funny.....come to downtown Chicago. You smell weed like all day. I think people are mostly doing it in their cars because I believe you're still not allowed to walk around and smoke a joint in public. But if you toke from a bowl or a one-hitter in your car, you likely won't draw much attention to yourself. Plus, I bet the police aren't going to bother you anyhow as long as you aren't being a belligerent ass or aren't crashing your car into pedestrians or something.

On another note: just wait until August and the College/University campuses are (mostly) back to full in-person learning. Holy schnoikens, Shaggy, a haze may descend over the entire city!!
Yeah, I smell it from people smoking on their balconies and from cars mostly. Although someone was straight up smoking a joint at like 5 in the afternoon just the other day. Like dude, go in an alley jesus.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2021, 1:32 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Assbackward?

I’d take so much of what Texas has going on over something as silly as being able to smoke weed legally
Because not only is it illegal even for most medical applications, the punishment for possession is still pretty severe. Plus, there are a lot of issues with Texas, weed being the least among them.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2021, 2:57 PM

Good, then maybe people will chill out and the crime start to go down.....

Old Posted Mar 22, 2021, 3:04 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

I don't think the street smell of weed has changed THAT much since legalization. It was unenforced for years before that.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2021, 3:10 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
I don't think the street smell of weed has changed THAT much since legalization. It was unenforced for years before that.
i would agree that i haven't noticed a ton more of it either over the past year, but I'm way up in lincoln square, not downtown, so.......

one big difference on an extremely local level is that one of our neighbors who used to blaze 24/7 on his back porch (that overlooks our back patio/porch) moved out last june, so the smell of weed in our backyard has actually gone down like 10,000%.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2021, 3:53 PM

Was going to go up to Chicago to do a little cannabis tourism (also visit Chi town for the first time) but Covid stopped that, looking again.

Denver is obviously a fun cannabis tourism city, made better by an in-town, chill airBNB.

"Such then is the human condition , that to wish greatness for one's country is to wish harm to one's neighbor" Voltaire

Last edited by TexasPlaya; Mar 22, 2021 at 4:06 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions