HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Mar 21, 2015, 3:12 AM

Renderings

This is the landscaping plan - you can see the urban stream idea

This is a tight view between the Clearwater Building & US Bank Plaza

This is how it would look along the "pedestrian path (aka tunnel)

And here's a photo of the idea they're aiming for:

They stress in the approval that the stems that would go into the Grove are just for illustration and aren't up to them (but would be cool if CCDC does this)

You can see the mural they plan to paint on the side of the Grove Hotel building in the renderings from Architecture Buff, above. It's supposed to look like the foothills.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2015, 3:29 AM
Let's Go Brandon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architecture Buff View Post
Front between 5th & 6th looks like the perfect size lot (1/2 city block) for Gardner's hotel. It is north of all the traffic on Front and Myrtle and easy walking distance to City Center and the Convention Center.
I think the ideal spot for a 400+ room hotel would be across 9th Street next to One Capital Center.

I borrowed a couple of images from BoiseAirport's Boisetopia page to illustrate (hope that's okay Anthony they are wonderful renderings). As Anthony said in his blog, "A large 350-400 room hotel on this space would require building up instead of spreading out."

A hotel of this size would be a great addition to the skyline, and would likely become our new tallest.

Now, imagine if such a hotel were connected to the convention center via skybridge over 9th Street. Convention goers could walk from this hotel to the convention center, to the Grove Hotel/Century Link Arena, and on to the City Center buildings, and vise versa, all via skybridge. Wouldn't that be awesome?

Old Posted Mar 21, 2015, 7:25 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOI-IDA View Post
I think the ideal spot for a 400+ room hotel would be across 9th Street next to One Capital Center.

I borrowed a couple of images from BoiseAirport's Boisetopia page to illustrate (hope that's okay Anthony they are wonderful renderings). As Anthony said in his blog, "A large 350-400 room hotel on this space would require building up instead of spreading out."

A hotel of this size would be a great addition to the skyline, and would likely become our new tallest.

Now, imagine if such a hotel were connected to the convention center via skybridge over 9th Street. Convention goers could walk from this hotel to the convention center, to the Grove Hotel/Century Link Arena, and on to the City Center buildings, and vise versa, all via skybridge. Wouldn't that be awesome?
That was one parcel I was thinking of too. A 11 story office tower was planned for that parcel(1st page Capital II), and a 100 room hotel that Gardner is building would fit. The only thing, it probably be 10 or less floors. The second would be Capitol Terrace right in the middle of Gardner's buildings, and it has a parking garage already built.
Your idea of a new tallest would work with a condo/office/hotel combination, and I like the sky bridge connecting over 9th to the convention center. It seems that in large cities the office / hotel combo is becoming popular. At one time there was a 23 (?) story condo planned for Front east of Capital Blvd., and of course the 32 story building designed for "The Hole" now 8th&Main. The three new hotels will have over 300 rooms, and so if one more is built they would have their 400 new rooms.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2015, 9:22 PM

Great stuff all. Love the ideas. Fun to ponder.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2015, 9:40 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDay View Post
This is the landscaping plan - you can see the urban stream idea

This is a tight view between the Clearwater Building & US Bank Plaza

This is how it would look along the "pedestrian path (aka tunnel)

And here's a photo of the idea they're aiming for:

They stress in the approval that the stems that would go into the Grove are just for illustration and aren't up to them (but would be cool if CCDC does this)

You can see the mural they plan to paint on the side of the Grove Hotel building in the renderings from Architecture Buff, above. It's supposed to look like the foothills.
I really like the stream effect with the lighting. Hopefully if it is done, the materials will hold hope to pedestrian wear and tear.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2015, 12:18 AM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

The blue windows on the giant Twix bar was mentioned back when the City Center project was announced.
Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Old Posted Mar 22, 2015, 1:52 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawtooth View Post
The blue windows on the giant Twix bar was mentioned back when the City Center project was announced.
Yep, that was what a ESI engineer told me was something they were contemplating when they moved across the street to start City Center last year. They are doing major changes inside of the tower as well.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2015, 4:45 AM

Quote:
I've never really noticed that until you mentioned it. Thanks for the laugh Sawtooth!

Quote:
I really like the stream effect with the lighting. Hopefully if it is done, the materials will hold hope to pedestrian wear and tear.
I really hope that they follow through with adding that sculpture. It'll add to the Grove's atmosphere, and it'll be interesting to walk along it at night

Quote:
Spokane is way ahead of us with expansion of their convention center, and almost completed prefab 15 story 716 room Grand Hotel Spokane a Marriott hotel, and 900 car parking garage. They just installed the frame work for the skybridge connecting the two.
It made me kind of jealous back in 2012 when I heard that Spokane was expanding on it's convention center, while Boise was still struggling to find a location. There could be some hope left for something similar in Boise since we saw that conceptual rendering of the Sky-walk that Boise Airport found. Like he said, that may be an indication that they want to build up. A 400-500 room hotel with a glass facade would be almost perfect directly above the Convention center.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2015, 6:18 AM
Closed account

Edited out............................

Last edited by Architecture Buff; Mar 23, 2015 at 12:40 AM.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2015, 3:27 PM

Big Changes to Idaho Street!

http://www.boiseweekly.com/CityDesk/...s-idaho-street

Another story on the apartments to come to Idaho street. Excited for both projects. Curious about what will replace the funeral home by the flying M..

I suspect the Gardner Co. will win their proposal.. however who knows..

Old Posted Mar 22, 2015, 4:05 PM

The Gardner proposal dubbed "Watercooler Apartments" occupies a larger area at 50 units and five stories. The proposal at 5th and Idaho has a smaller footprint at 84 units.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2015, 7:47 PM

Meh, it's still Spokane though. hehe (shots fired!!)

Old Posted Mar 22, 2015, 10:36 PM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

meanwhile back in Boise

A is for Afton
http://www.theafton.com/

The security guard watching over the property.

progress on Esther Simplot Park, Whitewater Park Boulevard
http://www.vpnaboise.org/development...-simplot-park/

spun

Treefort

Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Old Posted Mar 22, 2015, 11:16 PM
Closed account

Portland

edited out by poster...........................

Last edited by Architecture Buff; Mar 23, 2015 at 12:42 AM.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2015, 2:46 AM

That is a clever way to advertise the new development. I can't believe that I didn't catch the meaning behind the "A' sooner.
Quote:
[Center]meanwhile back in Boise

A is for Afton
http://www.theafton.com/

]

Old Posted Mar 23, 2015, 3:34 PM
All man. Half nuts.

i'd love to see the giant twix bar get reclad in white. just imagine a white tower with that blue glass... it'd be stunning.

as for the grove proposal, i think it's okay. the "river" theme is somewhat uninspiring, though... it's been done. the sidewalk around 9th and idaho has a river theme. the "crack" in the grove hotel is a river theme. the airport has a river theme. heck, we have giant fish stuck to at least two downtown buildings.

so while i'm sure it'll end up being nice, it makes me wonder what the other proposals and themes were.

/end critique

Old Posted Mar 24, 2015, 12:56 AM
Closed account

Development map

Here is a way to keep track of projects around downtown.

http://static.ktvb.com/development-map/

Old Posted Mar 24, 2015, 3:18 AM

It looks like the Pennbridge Hotel is superseding the Capital Connector Building based on the rendering. Haven't been by the property but I'm guessing the informative sign is no longer there. Does the Capitol Connector Building now go to the dust bin?

Old Posted Mar 24, 2015, 5:49 AM
Honored Member

Cool Congrats on Starting Vol. II

I, too, wanted to thank those who have provided such outstanding photos and other renderings. They really add to the discussions and information sharing, IMHO.

Back in Vol. I someone mentioned how posters get right to it here and don't fight over dumb things like some do in other threads. It's been my observation it's that way with all the Idaho discussions. It speaks well of participants who still say thanks and do things some threads lack. Having the fighting is dìstracting, doesn't add to the discussion or make me want to visit certain threads where certain posters liked to hang out.

One experience to illustrate my point. I remember getting a serious eye infection and having to post in blue and another non-black color to see what I had written. For some reason I couldn't see black with all the drops/ointments I had to put in my eye 3-4 X/day. A poster from the southwest took me to task stating I was trying to stir something up in that thread as the blue color of my typing was the same color as his home teams opponent in a playoff series. I was surprised someone wanted to argue about something that doesn't matter so much to me. I'd told him about my prescription drops and ointments for my bad eye infection, but he still thought I was just telling him a lie.

Consequently, I appreciate those who treat others well and have useful discussions. I'm glad I posted in the first Vol discussions and look forward to posting in this important collection, as building is booming in Boise

Old Posted Mar 24, 2015, 6:17 AM
Closed account

Renderings, Photos and Videos

I want to thank SAWTOOTH for his artistic and beautiful photography of our growing city.
There are many more like Hawk, Boise Airport, Boisebro, Visualize, DonDay and of course Cottonwood who put hours toward this and other forums.
Below is a series called the Boise Architecture Project.
Again, many thanks to all.

https://www.youtube.com/user/boisearchproj/videos

Last edited by Architecture Buff; Mar 24, 2015 at 7:07 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West