HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Old Posted Jun 8, 2021, 4:23 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelacey45 View Post
Honestly they should look at another developer, I don’t get why this city is the birth place of the skyscraper but yet we ain’t cracking the top 5 or 10. They’re putting two buildings that’s 875 and 765ft , why just have one mega building 2,100ft in the air. It will sell. You’re pretty much getting the whole view of Chicago. And the building location is in the mouth of the Chicago river
I assume it's because the developers can build one of the smaller towers, start to get revenue, and depending on the results, make further decisions on the second tower. A single big tower is a much larger risk and much more time consuming to build and get money coming back to the developer.
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Jun 8, 2021, 4:28 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomrQT View Post
A single big tower is a much larger risk and much more time consuming to build and get money coming back to the developer.
and much more expensive to build in the first place.

two ~800 footers are far less expensive to construct than a single 1,600 foot tower of equal net square footage.

going supertall costs a lot of extra money on a PSF basis.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2021, 5:58 PM
DENNAB

In no city on earth (even NYC) is a 2000 footer necessary. Even Shanghai Tower is basically a failure, though give it a decade or two and maybe it'll fill up.

Kinda surprised Tribune East Tower got as far as it did, the developers could easily build two much smaller towers (provided the site is big enough).

Old Posted Jun 8, 2021, 6:01 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
and much more expensive to build in the first place.

two ~800 footers are far less expensive to construct than a single 1,600 foot tower of equal net square footage.

going supertall costs a lot of extra money on a PSF basis.
I've heard that many times, but I've often wondered why. With a single tower you'd only have a single slab and the working crews would be focused on the single project rising - instead of two separate foundations and two individual buildings with all the additional things that come with having a new, second building. Intuitively it "feels" like a single giant tower would cost more per sqft but I simply don't understand the mechanisms responsible for that.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2021, 6:45 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
I've heard that many times, but I've often wondered why. With a single tower you'd only have a single slab and the working crews would be focused on the single project rising - instead of two separate foundations and two individual buildings with all the additional things that come with having a new, second building. Intuitively it "feels" like a single giant tower would cost more per sqft but I simply don't understand the mechanisms responsible for that.
Apparently engineering costs skyrocket just that much after a certain height (300 or so meters). Smaller buildings are much easier to engineer to the point that even with just two of them, it's still more economical.

Quote:
Honestly they should look at another developer, I don’t get why this city is the birth place of the skyscraper but yet we ain’t cracking the top 5 or 10. They’re putting two buildings that’s 875 and 765ft , why just have one mega building 2,100ft in the air. It will sell. You’re pretty much getting the whole view of Chicago. And the building location is in the mouth of the Chicago river
Chicago still cracks the top 5 or 10 globally when it comes to most skyscraper superlatives, just not individual buildings.

I'd be happy with a 1600 footer though, 2100 seems unnecessary.

Thompson Center anyone?

Old Posted Jun 8, 2021, 6:56 PM
BANNED

Does anyone know if this will start in 2021?

Old Posted Jun 8, 2021, 7:30 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Apparently engineering costs skyrocket just that much after a certain height (300 or so meters). Smaller buildings are much easier to engineer to the point that even with just two of them, it's still more economical.
yeah, that's what i was getting at.

years ago i attended a lecture by adrian smith (who knows a thing or two about designing very tall buildings), and he said something to the effect of "once a building gets taller than about 900', engineering costs really start to soar", at like 1.5x the cost per vertical foot, or something like that.

very tall projects in chicago are primarily built for vanity, not sound economic principle. our land, even in core areas, simply ain't THAT valuable.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2021, 10:21 PM

They’re using part of the spire foundations for the north tower, that’s why it will be the taller of the two. If you noticed, the redesign chopped height from the S but left the N pretty much unchanged. I wonder if ~900 feet must be about the limit of the foundation. (I know the spire was taller, but I’m sure there’s some issues with reusing the foundation or something).

From a design perspective it would make sense for the taller of the two to be the S on, like the original plan. I’m hoping they build the N tower, then by the time it’s done they revise the S tower to be taller.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2021, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
very tall projects in chicago are primarily built for vanity, not sound economic principle. our land, even in core areas, simply ain't THAT valuable.
Even in the 19th century, the height of Chicago’s skyscrapers was not as notable as their city block-sized footprints.

For people back then, it was as if they went to NYC, saw 432 Park Avenue, and said, “The height is impressive, but the proportions are off.” Then they came to Chicago, saw NEMA, and said, “Wow, that looks enormous despite being shorter.”

“As the elephant (or rather megatherium) to the giraffe, so is the colossal business block of Chicago to the sky-scraper of New York. There is a proportion and dignity in the mammoth buildings of Chicago which is lacking in most of those which form the jagged skyline of Manhattan Island. For one reason or another-no doubt some difference in the system of land tenure is at the root of the matter-the Chicago architect has usually a larger plot of ground to operate on than his New York colleague, and can consequently give his building breadth and depth as well as height.”
William Archer, America To-Day, London: William Heinemann, 1900

Old Posted Jun 8, 2021, 10:45 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
A bigger building is cheaper to build per SF when you're talking about a warehouse or shopping mall, or even office sometimes (Merch Mart/OPO). You can make the building fatter/broader and you get more indoor square footage with less enclosure, relatively.

A residential tower needs access to daylight, so it can only get so fat. It can be long and skinny, or tall and skinny, but that's about it. You don't get the same economies of scale with regard to the skin of the building (which is a huge cost driver). Also, the taller a building gets the more elevators it needs. Elevator shafts eat up space on every floor but they generate no income.

Taller buildings also, as Steely notes, require more advanced engineering. Higher strength concrete and reinforcement, advanced wind load calculations/mass dampers, advanced elevator systems, etc.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2021, 12:15 AM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
A bigger building is cheaper to build per SF when you're talking about a warehouse or shopping mall, or even office sometimes (Merch Mart/OPO). You can make the building fatter/broader and you get more indoor square footage with less enclosure, relatively.

A residential tower needs access to daylight, so it can only get so fat. It can be long and skinny, or tall and skinny, but that's about it. You don't get the same economies of scale with regard to the skin of the building (which is a huge cost driver). Also, the taller a building gets the more elevators it needs. Elevator shafts eat up space on every floor but they generate no income.

Taller buildings also, as Steely notes, require more advanced engineering. Higher strength concrete and reinforcement, advanced wind load calculations/mass dampers, advanced elevator systems, etc.
Extremely helpful and sensible. Thank you.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2021, 5:54 AM

Quote:
Kinda surprised Tribune East Tower got as far as it did, the developers could easily build two much smaller towers (provided the site is big enough).
as far as it did? What does that mean? Has tribune been killed off or is it still gonna happen?

Old Posted Jun 11, 2021, 2:18 PM

Dylan Dude as far as it did? What does that mean? Has tribune been killed off or is it still gonna happen?

The tribune tower is still on as far as i know, I read something weeks ago stating that after the the tribune tower is done they are going to start on tribune east asap. They are almost done so I guess we find out this summer.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2021, 2:28 PM

I am pretty sure that Zapatan meant "as far as it has".

Old Posted Jun 11, 2021, 4:33 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianowizard View Post
I am pretty sure that Zapatan meant "as far as it has".
Correct, should've worded that better. I was referring to how far along it is in the approval process / is a serious proposal at its height.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2021, 4:14 PM

Heard some rumblings that this could start construction by Q1 2022

Old Posted Aug 3, 2021, 5:09 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiPlanner View Post
From who? We've known it could start in Q4 2021 or Q1 2022 for a while now, unless this is a new update from a different source

Hope it's true

Old Posted Aug 3, 2021, 7:22 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
if this one, or 1000M, or LSE I can actually pop before salesforce finishes up, then the streak of continuous 800-footer construction dating back to OBP's kick-off in May 2016 will be kept alive!

it's been a great run, let's hope it rolls on

Old Posted Aug 3, 2021, 8:46 PM

Quote:
From who? We've known it could start in Q4 2021 or Q1 2022 for a while now, unless this is a new update from a different source

Hope it's true
Starts with an "R" and ends with a "d." They're working on financing

Old Posted Aug 3, 2021, 9:06 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Starts with an "R" and ends with a "d." They're working on financing
Related has always been planning around that timeframe. What I was inquiring was whether there was new news confirming it or not. Sometimes developers don't stick with a timeframe and construction gets pushed back.

Quote:
if this one, or 1000M, or LSE I can actually pop before salesforce finishes up, then the streak of continuous 800-footer construction dating back to OBP's kick-off in May 2016 will be kept alive!

it's been a great run, let's hope it rolls on
Throw Tribune East in there as well, I'd say NEMA II but that seems visionary.

Hopefully all four can rise at the same time

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction