Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jul 6, 2019, 6:40 PM

[/IMG]

Old Posted Jul 8, 2019, 11:40 AM
self-important urbanista

Tempe YIMBY

So this is interesting:

https://tempeyimby.wordpress.com/

I've been waiting for a local "Yes In My Backyard" (YIMBY) group to start, and Tempe appears to be the place. I'm not sure who's behind this, although on the "join" link there's a notice saying the form was created at ASU.

I checked in on the militantly anti-development Maple-Ash-Farmer-Wilson Facebook group to see their reaction, but the members appear to be too busy debating recent police controversies to have noticed.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2019, 3:57 PM

Maybe Discussed, but I just saw an add on PHX business journals and it looks like the 100 Mill project has dropped the hotel its just advertising an office building with the restored Monti's house and some surface space left open for future development.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2019, 3:59 PM

Yes, I believe they were also considering residential if not a different hotel and/or a combination of those two uses for the surface lot fronting Mill.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2019, 4:00 PM

I believe the office tower is starting in August?

Old Posted Jul 8, 2019, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
So this is interesting:

https://tempeyimby.wordpress.com/

I've been waiting for a local "Yes In My Backyard" (YIMBY) group to start, and Tempe appears to be the place. I'm not sure who's behind this, although on the "join" link there's a notice saying the form was created at ASU.

I checked in on the militantly anti-development Maple-Ash-Farmer-Wilson Facebook group to see their reaction, but the members appear to be too busy debating recent police controversies to have noticed.
Hey, that's us! We're still in the early phases of organizing. Right now we're a small group of ASU students who are passionate about urban issues in Tempe. We're hoping to start getting more people involved and will probably be having some meetups/events soon.

So far the Maple-Ash-Farmer-Wilson Facebook group hasn't heard of us but we are growing our social media presence and will be showing up to city meetings. Having the NIMBYs over there notice us would be a big milestone for us.

Anyways, if you or anyone you know is interested in getting involved you can go to the "Join" section on our webpage or shoot us an email at TempeYIMBY@gmail.com. Also feel free to follow us on Twitter (@YIMBYTempe) or like our FB page .

Old Posted Jul 8, 2019, 10:14 PM

Whole Foods in the Local

Any update on the Grand Opening Date? Last I heard was a guess of sometime in August any update on a specific date?

Old Posted Jul 8, 2019, 11:41 PM

They are framing up the space last time I saw and doing drywall inside. Looks like its on pace for that timeframe. But I'd like to add that if any of you get the chance to tour the Local I gotta say its probably one of the most creatively designed apartment complexes in all of AZ. Worth the tour!

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 2:26 AM

[/IMG]

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 11:48 AM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempeYIMBY View Post
Hey, that's us! We're still in the early phases of organizing. Right now we're a small group of ASU students who are passionate about urban issues in Tempe. We're hoping to start getting more people involved and will probably be having some meetups/events soon.

So far the Maple-Ash-Farmer-Wilson Facebook group hasn't heard of us but we are growing our social media presence and will be showing up to city meetings. Having the NIMBYs over there notice us would be a big milestone for us.

Anyways, if you or anyone you know is interested in getting involved you can go to the "Join" section on our webpage or shoot us an email at TempeYIMBY@gmail.com. Also feel free to follow us on Twitter (@YIMBYTempe) or like our FB page .
Thanks. I've signed up for your mailing list. I used to work in Tempe; now, I'm cheering you on from Phoenix.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 3:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB1 View Post
[/IMG]
This has to be my new favorite view of tempe. Tempe Rising

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 3:35 PM
Skyriser

^ What are we all looking at there, and where was this taken from? I've been struggling to keep up with everything in Tempe. I don't remember an enormous garage going up there.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
^ What are we all looking at there, and where was this taken from? I've been struggling to keep up with everything in Tempe. I don't remember an enormous garage going up there.
This is the residential tower that's going up on the corner of 7th and Myrtle. The hole next to it is the for the hotel tower.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
https://goo.gl/maps/cpxtLMVN9jVNerUX6

Same angle further back, This used to be the internet Cafe' and some old abandoned and (not abandoned ) Motels and stuff. This is the site of the Westin Tempe. The massive garage is the collective apts, the building in the right back is Marbella and the one in the back is the Canopy hotel.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 3:42 PM

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...d3TGlFV2xLbiJ9

New Watermark Retail Tenant Signed
A first-to-market restaurant concept is the latest tenant to sign a lease at the Watermark Tempe, a $150 million mixed-use development being built on the north side of Tempe Town Lake.

The first Arizona location of Irvine, California-based Panini Kabob Grill will be part of the Watermark Tempe’s first phase. The fast-casual restaurant boasts fresh ingredients, Mediterranean menu items and an upscale feel.

Panini Kabob Grill, which has 17 locations across Southern California, is in growth mode with plans to open about 16 stores in the future, including the Tempe restaurant.

Cushman & Wakefield’s Brent Mallonee represented the Watermark developer, Fenix Development, in signing Panini Kabob Grill to the project.

The other retailers that Panini Kabob Grill will open alongside include Obon + Sushi + Ramen, V’s Babershop and Dip Nail Bar, which all signed leases last year.

The Watermark’s Phase I is expected to be finished in September and will include 265,000 square feet of Class A office space, 44,000 square feet of restaurant and retail space and 360 luxury apartments. The center will also feature a splash pad that will connect to the boardwalk and Tempe Town Lake.

So far, WeWork is the only office tenant to finalize a lease at Watermark.

Future phases of Watermark will include an additional 340,000 square feet of Class A office space, 20,000 square feet of retail and restaurant space and a 250-room hotel.

Hoping the 2nd phase gets proposed soon.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 10:58 PM

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUSunDevil View Post
Great find!!

Old Posted Jul 10, 2019, 4:49 AM

https://azbigmedia.com/real-estate/b...nant-at-union/

This is great for Mesa/Tempe, but I have to wonder if Phoenix is doing enough to recruit speculative office space to Downtown. I get the appeal of class A office space on Tempe Town Lake, but DTPHX should not be losing out to Mesa.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2019, 5:53 PM

[/IMG]

Old Posted Jul 10, 2019, 5:55 PM

[/IMG]

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest