HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 2:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Whether it is Romanian or not, or Québécois from her coach or whatever, there are clearly foreign non-anglo intonations in there.

Most GTA born and raised people do not have that, regardless of origin.
Yes, the first time I heard her speak after the win, I had to check her bio to see if she wasn't born outside Canada. I thought the East European was pretty obvious to the ear (not an accent, per se, but the way a few words were pronounced).

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 2:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
Probably the most defining feature of any discussion of Canadian accents is the fact that the differences are so slight as to be unnoticeable to lots of people and even contentious to those trying to nail them down geographically. Still...

There is 0% Romanian in her accent. Here's some Romanian-accented English: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNCzB0fUsS0.

Her accent is distinctive enough from American speech that you could easily point it out to a layperson who would otherwise identify her as American. The short A in the word "slams" exists nowhere in the US, where it would be varying degrees of "slayams."

Though, granted, we're obviously talking about subtle differences in pronunciation and cadence that aren't as prominent as with other accents. But I think she sounds identifiably like a GTAer, and other GTA people on this thread seem to agree with me.
Quote:
Whether it is Romanian or not, or Québécois from her coach or whatever, there are clearly foreign non-anglo intonations in there.

Most GTA born and raised people do not have that, regardless of origin.
The youtube video rousseau linked to appears to have born and bred Romanians who have lived their lives there. Bianca is obviously not that. She is a Canadian with significant exposure to Romania, having Romanian parents and apparently having spent some time in Romania although I'm not sure exactly how much.

I have young cousins once removed of a similar age to Bianca whose parents are immigrants from Eastern Europe, they are fluent in the language and they have spent extensive amounts of time (summers, etc.) in the old country. They sound, to my ears at least, not quite as pronounced as Bianca with her accent but the overall tendency is there.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 2:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Quintessential 905 to my ear, although he's not born and raised, so maybe I'm off.
Well, Jagmeet Singh is GTA-born (Scarborough, so 416, not 905) but not raised. According to his biography, he was sent to live with grandparents a year as toddler briefly in India, before reuniting with family in Newfoundland, where he learned English, then he had a childhood upbringing in Windsor, and later Detroit, with quite a lot of living in Southern Ontario overall.

His later-life legal/political career in the 905 probably has a lot of influence though too.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 2:41 AM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
What does "vocal fry" mean?
Frying in singing is to sing lower than the modal (main) voice. You do this by breaking the tone with a rapid gargle. For example in high school, I learned my modal ended around G1 and had to turn to vocal fries to get to F#1.

In speech, it is turning to this technique to get your voice to sound lower and deeper than usual. Women do this to make them sound more authoritative when dealing with co-workers, for example.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 3:51 AM

Bianca Andreescu sounds like some females I know in Timmins. The girl who sits next to me at work sounds almost identical to her and she grew up speaking both French and English but spoke French at home as a child.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post
Frying in singing is to sing lower than the modal (main) voice. You do this by breaking the tone with a rapid gargle. For example in high school, I learned my modal ended around G1 and had to turn to vocal fries to get to F#1.

In speech, it is turning to this technique to get your voice to sound lower and deeper than usual. Women do this to make them sound more authoritative when dealing with co-workers, for example.
Made most popular by Britney Spears. Kind of her signature, early on.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 11:22 AM

Just listened to Jagmeet. I don't hear it at all. He sounds quite a bit like this Indian HR guy from my work who was born and raised in SK and then came this way 15 years ago for a job.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 11:27 AM

These two Indian guys from Brampton are heavy on the accent.

Putting the link because I'm starting it at 1:54. Don't know if you can do that with the youtube button.

https://youtu.be/e2072YX7Dxk?t=114

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
These two Indian guys from Brampton are heavy on the accent.

Putting the link because I'm starting it at 1:54. Don't know if you can do that with the youtube button.

https://youtu.be/e2072YX7Dxk?t=114
That's what I was saying - EXACTLY like Jagmeet Singh!

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 1:02 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
That's what I was saying - EXACTLY like Jagmeet Singh!
You're being sarcastic, right? That guy does not speak like Jagmeet Singh. (At least not in his public persona. Perhaps when is with his Sikh buddies it's different.)

The Jagmeet we know sounds much more standard 905/GTA/Ontario/Canadian than this guy.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 1:07 PM

Quote:
You're being sarcastic, right? That guy does not speak like Jagmeet Singh. (At least not in his public persona. Perhaps when is with his Sikh buddies it's different.)

The Jagmeet we know sounds much more standard 905/GTA/Ontario/Canadian than this guy.
I was joking - nobody sounds like those guys, except when exaggerating for comic effect.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 1:11 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
I was joking - nobody sounds like those guys, except when exaggerating for comic effect.
Weeeelll...

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 5:55 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

https://www.instagram.com/tv/B2RzDbZ...=19z3s80znn2pu

Still not hearing any Romanian in there. Sounds closer to these kids, to my ears: https://www.instagram.com/p/B0CkVTwH...d=nzd53cy7sha3 (not quite that strong though)

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 6:19 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
https://www.instagram.com/tv/B2RzDbZ...=19z3s80znn2pu

Still not hearing any Romanian in there. Sounds closer to these kids, to my ears: https://www.instagram.com/p/B0CkVTwH...d=nzd53cy7sha3 (not quite that strong though)
It might not be typically Romanian (diaspora people often don't have the same accent traits as the old country) but there is something that is very subtly foreign-ish in her accent.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 9:37 PM

Quote:
It might not be typically Romanian (diaspora people often don't have the same accent traits as the old country) but there is something that is very subtly foreign-ish in her accent.
The clip that sent me to her bio was recorded shortly after the win. It could be that she was very tired and/or she may have just come from speaking Romanian with her parents. There was definitely something there, however.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 12:08 AM

Lilly Singh's GTA accent often comes out in this monologue. Never watched her youtube channel and all I watched was half this clip. It wasn't very good. It was the first episode of her talk show. But, as is often the case with TV, it should get better as time goes on and they work out the kinks.

Video Link

Old Posted Sep 27, 2019, 10:12 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

This is making the rounds on FB again as part of the push for us to buy back our direct connection. Love it when they think we're making fun of them...

Our transatlantic neighbours: Visiting Newfoundland

Quote:
On the most eastern edge of North America, the people are warm and funny, profusely proud of their homeland and love nothing better than a get together, a chat and a singsong. Little wonder, then, that almost a quarter of the population claims Irish ancestry. And remarkably many of them still hold the Irish accents of their never-forgotten relations, who deserted the British fishing boats as far back as the 1600s.

I was there for five days, and I was as taken aback to hear Wexford and Waterford accents by the end of the trip as I was the very first time I thought I was being imitated.

Despite the accents, it is a Canadian province – at least according to 51 per cent of the voters in a 1948 referendum – and it retains the Canadian stereotypes you’d expect to find on your travels. Think moose, beavers and vast woodland.

This, however, is a place like no other, and it’s only four and a half hours from Dublin. My flight set off from Dublin at 8.30am. Shortly after 10am I was on my way to pick up my car rental in another continent.

I started my trip with a walk up Signal Hill, overlooking the province’s capital, St John’s. The views were amazing, only briefly interrupted by a spell of thick fog and wind - really putting our own variable climate into perspective.

The Ales and Tales tour begins at the top of Signal Hill and retraces the final battle of the Seven Years’ War, along the Ladies’ Lookout Trail. Legend has it the women of the city came here, to the city’s highest point, to look out for ships carrying their sons, husbands and lovers.
https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-...hFl0xRreQl5cVA

Old Posted Oct 13, 2019, 3:11 PM

Couple times I’ve heard Americans say “fam” in person or on tv. I don’t think fam originated in TO but these Americans might have picked it up from drake or some other TO source.

Quote:
TORONTO - A Toronto-area professor says the city's increasing relevance in pop culture is part of a growth in Toronto-specific slang.
Derek Denis, assistant professor at University of Toronto Mississauga, has been studying the prominence of Toronto's unique slang lexicon for the past two years.

Advertisement
He says the city's diverse population is part of why Toronto has such a unique slang vocabulary when compared to other cities.
Denis cites words like “ahlie” which originates from Patois, or “bucktee” which originates from Somali and is used as an insult.
He says factors like Drake reaching worldwide fame and the championship win by the Toronto Raptors have helped popularize the city's slang.
However, he points out that references to Toronto-specific lingo have deeper roots and can be traced back to the late 90s and early 2000s when Toronto rapper Kardinal Offishal made “BaKardi Slang,” a song about local slang.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 11:10 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

So I won't share the video because it's abuse. A nerdy, nasal guy followed his haggard, slim, blonde wife to the Costco parking lot in St. John's, filmed her fucking another man, and their 7-minute confrontation afterwards. No one needs to see that. But it went viral, around the world.

To me, I knew they were local by the trashiness - but he had a very high, feminine, nasal voice, and she sounded like someone from Cape Breton. They were both very weak accents.

Yet, when it went viral around the world, I was genuinely shocked to see things like this:

One thing I find especially confusing - people around the world wrote "cahhh" for "car". Every single one of our local accents has a VERY strong, American R. There is nothing here that even comes close to "cahhh". And, to my ears at least, both the people in the video had a very strong R. It makes me curious about what I can/can't hear.

Like, in Slavic languages there's lots of different CH sounds. They all sound the same to me. Bashcharshiya is the same as Petrovich. And when I lived on the mainland and my parents would come visit, everyone I knew up in Canada could understand my mother perfectly, but couldn't understand my father at all, but they sound almost the same to me (but are from very different areas - Mom's from Quidi Vidi, so a lower-class St. John's accent, Dad is from Marystown, so it SHOULD be a more mainland generic Canadian accent).

Old Posted Nov 2, 2019, 12:25 AM

Haven't heard of this video yet and so I haven't seen it.

But it reminds me of a story when I was at school. My friend's GF didn't have a computer so she used his computer to check her email. He installed the key stroke tracker on his system so he got her password. He saw she was meeting this guy at the train station and then she'd pick him up and drive to a motel.

My friend's roommate was at the station waiting and filmed him get off the train and kiss and hug her and get into her car and drive off.

Few days later my friend says to her let's watch a movie. He pops in the tape and BAM! Shock of her life.

Funny thing is, the same friend cheated on her twice within the past few months.

This story you describe could have been on the show Cheaters, which I am ashamed to say I watched a few times in the middle of the night back in the day.

By the way, newfie is one of my top 5 favourite accents.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada