HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Apr 14, 2010, 10:30 PM
Needs more coffee...

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpgq View Post
Wow that includes Burlington too. Although using BMI pretty much guarantees anyone who lifts weights will be considered overweight.
True, but the vast majority of people who tell me that (present poster excluded, of course) are overweight people, usually ladies, who go "BMI doesn't work as a measurement! It doesn't account muscle mass! It doesn't work for women! A number shouldn't tell me how to feel..."

... when really, most people at the gyms I've been at are well within BMI guidelines, unless you're trying to gain muscle mass as a goal in itself. Strength training (in the way most women train, and guys who aren't intentionally bulking up) won't push BMI over the edge, even if you're naturally a mesomorph. I lift on the heavy end of what most females can do, and there's no way my BMI's ever been over as a result of the gym -- I have been overweight when I've been lazy and failed to eat right and work out though.

And it's my sneaking suspicion that's how 70% of that 74%, at the very least, are overweight.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2010, 11:03 PM

One thing to keep in mind with Pittsburgh's renaissance, is that most of the decline in industry happened in the eastern suburbs and outer cities, in what is known as the Mon Valley.
I got to take a drive through that area, and those towns for the most part have not recovered, and look like mini Detroits.

Central Pittsburgh was able to transform itself, as it was a head office city, and was able to switch to the universities, medical, and high-tech fields.

There is no doubt that Pittsburgh has done a great job reinventing itself, and making a very clean, safe inner city, by American standards.

But that being said, the issues are alittle different. Hamilton already has diversity in it's economy, and Hamilton has not lost half its population to the suburbs, like Pittsburgh. So it is not like Hamilton has to try and stem population flight. Hamilton is growing, and the economy is growing, and Hamilton is far from the commuter suburb that people make it out to be.
In fact Toronto plays a very small role in Hamilton, and most Hamilton residents work, live, and play in Hamilton.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy