HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 3, 2020, 3:40 PM

^ This has been discussed for quite some time. But I think there would be significant resistance to the idea of scrapping traditional summer vacations, at least here in Manitoba. A lot of people consider summer cottage time/vacation time as sacred and they would be very reluctant to give it up even if doesn't make total sense anymore as you have pointed out.

Old Posted May 3, 2020, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
According to the buzz in teenaged circles, there is a (legal) way to double dip. I did not check.
I thought the $1250 was a bridge for those that didn't qualify for the $2000 and were caught in the middle, like one of the posters here.

With the CRA administering this, anybody who is trying to scam the system is going to get a rude awakening.

Old Posted May 3, 2020, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave46 View Post
I'm almost wondering if this might make us reconsider the idea of summer vacation in school as opposed to multiple breaks throughout the year. Summer vacation seems to be a holdover from the era when farming ruled the roost and the labour was needed during the summer. With the shift from a rural to urban setting, maybe this old idea needs to be revamped. Instead of re-teaching kids what they've lost over the summer, keeping them fresher by having shorter breaks might be an idea.
The school year does need to be re-thought. Ignoring religious holidays, it could easily line up into 3 x 4 month semesters like post-secondary. You get ~3 weeks off at the end of each. It might even facilitate kids moving through a grade faster or slower.

Summer holidays for younger grade kids is ridiculous for their learning and development.

Old Posted May 3, 2020, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
What's weird--at least to me--is that Boeing managed to raise a ton of money in the bond market and now is saying that they don't need any government help. If airlines aren't worth investing in who is Boeing going to sell it's jets to? It's not like the FedEx's of the world buy enough planes to make up for a huge drop in passenger travel.

The Non-Bailout: How the Fed Saved Boeing Without Paying a Dime
By Davide Scigliuzzo and Julie Johnsson
May 1, 2020, 5:57 PM PDT

Less than two months ago Boeing Co. went to Washington, hat in hand, asking for a $60 billion bailout for itself and its suppliers. The company, which had spent heavily on stock buybacks and was still reeling from the 737 Max disaster, was an unlikely candidate for government support.

Yet by urging the Federal Reserve to take unprecedented steps to bolster credit markets, the Trump administration ended up helping the plane maker more than any government handout could.

The Fed’s decision to use its near limitless balance sheet to purchase corporate bonds improved liquidity so much that it was a game changer for the company, according to people with knowledge of the matter who asked not to be identified because they weren’t authorized to speak publicly...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...?sref=x4rjnz06

Old Posted May 3, 2020, 5:05 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Six months of doing very little is a long time in the life of a young person.
They have incredibly low covid risk as a group, particularly if you filter out the few young people with serious health complications.

So my (half-joking) suggestion is to consider creating summer camp gulags for them. Let them do the fruit picking and tree planting.

Old Posted May 6, 2020, 1:39 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
The school year does need to be re-thought. Ignoring religious holidays, it could easily line up into 3 x 4 month semesters like post-secondary. You get ~3 weeks off at the end of each. It might even facilitate kids moving through a grade faster or slower.

Summer holidays for younger grade kids is ridiculous for their learning and development.
There is at least one school in SW Ottawa that has experimented with this. I don't think they've gone back to the "old" calendar so I guess it's a success.

The idea behind it is to maintain acquired knowledge more consistently. Since it's a French school in a very anglo milieu a lot of the kids don't speak any French outside of school (not even at home). So when the kids came back in September after two months off, many of them had "forgotten" a lot of their French.

That's a particular quirk though that wouldn't apply to most schools across the country of course.

It's an elementary school AFAIK.

Old Posted May 6, 2020, 1:41 PM
ハルウララ

The way that our education system is designed and implemented is mostly BS, anyway, and would benefit from a complete overhaul.

Old Posted May 6, 2020, 2:12 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
The way that our education system is designed and implemented is mostly BS, anyway, and would benefit from a complete overhaul.
That's an issue for humanity as a whole though, not just Canada.

It's astounding how school is incredibly similar across almost all cultures and countries.

Old Posted May 6, 2020, 2:17 PM

Quote:
That's an issue for humanity as a whole though, not just Canada.

It's astounding how school is incredibly similar across almost all cultures and countries.
My feelings about school can be summed up in this article.

https://soapboxie.com/social-issues/...ing-Creativity

Old Posted May 6, 2020, 2:23 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

School definitely needs some adjustments but I am not really among those who would throw the baby out with the bathwater. I'd even admit to being an open-minded traditionalist when it comes to this stuff.

Kids sitting at schooldesks and learning with a teacher has been the way we've done things for a couple thousand years. It has allowed us to build machines that can lift an incredible weight off the ground and travel unthinkable distances totally safely 99.99% of the time, implant an artificial heart into people's bodies and have men walk on the moon and return to Earth safely to talk about it.

Not a bad track record.

Old Posted May 6, 2020, 2:27 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
I am not overly anxious but I have to say I am a teeny bit concerned about my kids and especially their generation. With respect to how this will affect their relationship to school, work, responsibility, the normalcy of not sleeping in till noon every day, etc.

Here as in most places teens and young adults have been told that there will be no return to class until September. Learning from home is only hit-and-miss and sporadic. There is no way they are spending anything close to the learning time they would normally have in class plus homework on top of that.

So while I am not super worried for my kids as we keep on top of things, the potential for a sub-generation of slackers and under-achievers is definitely there.

Six months of doing very little is a long time in the life of a young person.

They'll be fine. Anyone born in the late 80s/early 90s generation has probably already experienced something pretty similar during the Great Recession.

Whether it was summers with no work, or graduating and spending the next several months (or longer) out of school and out of work, most of us got through it and picked things up pretty quickly as the economy recovered. Young people are generally pretty adaptable.

Considering the particularly high rates of stress & anxiety that's been observed in the often over-worked & over-programmed Gen Z, some down time might do them some good, if anything.

Old Posted May 6, 2020, 2:35 PM

Quote:
School definitely needs some adjustments but I am not really among those who would throw the baby out with the bathwater. I'd even admit to being an open-minded traditionalist when it comes to this stuff.

Kids sitting at schooldesks and learning with a teacher has been the way we've done things for a couple thousand years. It has allowed us to build machines that can lift an incredible weight off the ground and travel unthinkable distances totally safely 99.99% of the time, implant an artificial heart into people's bodies and have men walk on the moon and return to Earth safely to talk about it.

Not a bad track record.
Yes I'll agree with this generally, though that article VANRIDERFAN shared makes a lot of good points. It's no easy switch though. I think there's a lot that schools do for kids outside of the curriculum of the classroom. It's a social environment, teachers can help kids in all kinds of ways, and notice things about kids that their parents may overlook.

Now the cynical view is that teachers don't give a shit and they are just mailing it it, pushing kids through the system. I'm sure there's some of that, but it's far from the majority.

There's something to be said for taking kids from all backgrounds and putting them in the same room together. I'm all for more public schools, and less private schooling or any type of segregation.

It's a reality of modern life that we rely on schooling to babysit kids while both parents work. That's another problem.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada