HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Closed Thread

Old Posted Aug 29, 2020, 3:21 PM

What a Rorschach test this thread has been.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2020, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMusashi View Post
I predict rough waters ahead. COVID and BLM are plowing the field, planting the seeds of radicalism that will be harvested by an ascendant left who will assuredly drive wealth & normalcy from the city.
You're aware that Covid and human rights are global issues, not city-specific issues, right?

You're also aware that we're weeks from a Covid vaccine, and NYC has basically the lowest infection rates in the country, right?

And yes, obviously the cities of the world will turn into postapocalyptic wastelands if black people aren't being murdered by police, makes sense.

You can always tell who's tuned into Fox/Breitbart/Infowars crap.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2020, 9:46 PM

Since when are we weeks from a vaccine? Did I miss something?

Old Posted Aug 29, 2020, 9:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg View Post
Since when are we weeks from a vaccine? Did I miss something?
Basically all the vaccines have been promised by end-of-year, and many are in final trials now. So weeks away.

And there's been plenty of chatter that the White House is planning an early October "surprise" announcement re. vaccines.

Of course it will take months for comprehensive national distribution, but a vaccine approval is probably weeks away.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2020, 9:52 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

Quote:
I predict rough waters ahead. COVID and BLM are plowing the field, planting the seeds of radicalism that will be harvested by an ascendant left who will assuredly drive wealth & normalcy from the city. The media and elected representatives have condoned endless protest and lawlessness that can be sparked from any disagreeable news now--even in far-flung locales like Minneapolis! That isn't good for stability or security. Toss in rising anti-Semitism, anti-Asian sentiments, racial divisions, demoralization by law enforcement, apathy by anyone right-of-center, high costs, remote workplaces, and a digital world served by delivery drivers.

The crocodile has been unleashed and there won't be enough neoliberals to fight it off. Republicans, disillusioned by their fellow countrymen and corporate enemies, will cheer on as cities become devoured. I don't think anyone really knows what is going to happen in November but it could break the backs of cities. The country could even decend into civil war or martial law, the kindling is already being laid for one. There have been multiple sparks and it only takes one of them moving past the "safe zones" of Michigan Ave, Fifth Ave, Minneapolis Autozone, and the Portland Courthouse. As you can tell, I have a fairly pessimistic view, hopefully I'm wrong.
the unending protests (really, riots/looting/destruction on a grand scale) are indeed a disaster. Who is going to invest in these cities anymore, if all it takes for another round of small business destruction/fires/riots/beatings is a cop shooting someone, even if justified? whats going to happen when rioters try to burn down gentrifying neighborhoods?

and the media's egging it on. NPR just interviewed some dolt , author of a book about how looting is to be celebrated and is just , totally justified.

Never thought I'd say this, but I am pretty happy being in the suburbs where we don't have to deal with these Portland, DT Minneapolis and DT Chicago style temper tantrums.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2020, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
You're aware that Covid and human rights are global issues, not city-specific issues, right?

You're also aware that we're weeks from a Covid vaccine, and NYC has basically the lowest infection rates in the country, right?

And yes, obviously the cities of the world will turn into postapocalyptic wastelands if black people aren't being murdered by police, makes sense.

You can always tell who's tuned into Fox/Breitbart/Infowars crap.
A black person wasn't even murdered in your city and it was enough for a justification to loot Manhattan because of what happened in Minnesota. A precedent has been set and you've allowed a segment of the population to riot or carry on with summer long tantrums whenever they get upset about anything, anywhere. How this is reassuring to anyone is beyond me, as extreme behavior will continue to escalate when nobody does anything about it.

Covid isn't even the issue to me, although it has dealt lasting damage to thousands of business owners, landlords, and created a real discussion on the nature of work. Do we need expensive real estate/office space? You can argue that from a bottom line point of view, as well as an environmentalist one. What is the purpose of living in a city like that when you don't have to commute? Is going to the theater or shopping at declining storefronts worth the price of admission when you are also dealing with crime and bums?

Old Posted Aug 29, 2020, 10:38 PM

Quote:
A black person wasn't even murdered in your city and it was enough for a justification to loot Manhattan because of what happened in Minnesota.

A precedent has been set and you've allowed a segment of the population to riot or carry on with summer long tantrums whenever they get upset about anything, anywhere. How this is reassuring to anyone is beyond me, as extreme behavior will continue to escalate when nobody does anything about it.
Lies, all alt-right lies.

NY has been peaceful. Nothing has been happening here. There were some idiots who looted in Chicago for one night, but that has nothing to do with BLM, police brutality, or anything political. Just loser opportunists.

You know what would fix the issue of idle idiots doing stupid stuff? Ending the pandemic. Guess who has failed miserably on that score? If you're genuinely concerned about preventing dummies from stealing crap, then you will do everything in your power to remove those who ignored/minimized the pandemic, correct?

Quote:
Covid isn't even the issue to me, although it has dealt lasting damage to thousands of business owners, landlords, and created a real discussion on the nature of work. Do we need expensive real estate/office space? You can argue that from a bottom line point of view, as well as an environmentalist one. What is the purpose of living in a city like that when you don't have to commute? Is going to the theater or shopping at declining storefronts worth the price of admission when you are also dealing with crime and bums?
You are spewing so many obviously false right-wing tropes, I don't know where to start. Covid will apparently make "bums" scare people from theaters, which is someone linked to whether or not there will be expensive RE, which is somehow only applicable to one place on the planet. And what about Antifa, QAnon and Pizzagate? Just stop.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2020, 10:39 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

People will always enjoy and like cities , and remote work is alienating and boring after a while

Midtown (and downtown dc for that matter) could use a few more residential conversions

Office to residential could mean they could fit more people into New York , The type that like to remote work from an exciting city and not the boonies

Old Posted Aug 29, 2020, 10:44 PM

Can any other NY’ers back me up here or do I live in a bubble? I took a long bike ride around Long Island City, Sunnyside, Woodside and Astoria today. I saw no riots, no boarded-up businesses, no protests. What I did see were thousands of people going about their business on a beautiful late Summer day. Restaurants and bars were full, too. I’m proud of the way this city has adapted to the pandemic. People seem kinder and more appreciative. And we all wear our masks.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2020, 10:48 PM

I also passed a LOT of residential construction. More than I’ve ever seen in Queens.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2020, 11:04 PM

Right-wing media has been pushing the narrative that BLM has resulted in the total disintegration of the social fabric in “Democrat run” cities. The same horseshit they’ve been peddling since the 1960s. It’s laughable. If you didn’t know that CHAZ was a handful of city blocks in one neighborhood, Fox News would have you believe the entire city of Seattle was on fire.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2020, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Can any other NY’ers back me up here or do I live in a bubble? I took a long bike ride around Long Island City, Sunnyside, Woodside and Astoria today. I saw no riots, no boarded-up businesses, no protests. What I did see were thousands of people going about their business on a beautiful late Summer day. Restaurants and bars were full, too. I’m proud of the way this city has adapted to the pandemic. People seem kinder and more appreciative. And we all wear our masks.
Why do people keep mentioning the riots or boarded up business? It was 3 months ago. You don't see any effects in LA from June either. I'm sure this is true for almost any city that had riots. Santa Monica looks more alive than it did because of all the outdoor seating everywhere. It sounds like this is a permanent thing too.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2020, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_denizen View Post
the unending protests (really, riots/looting/destruction on a grand scale) are indeed a disaster. Who is going to invest in these cities anymore, if all it takes for another round of small business destruction/fires/riots/beatings is a cop shooting someone, even if justified? whats going to happen when rioters try to burn down gentrifying neighborhoods?

and the media's egging it on. NPR just interviewed some dolt , author of a book about how looting is to be celebrated and is just , totally justified.

Never thought I'd say this, but I am pretty happy being in the suburbs where we don't have to deal with these Portland, DT Minneapolis and DT Chicago style temper tantrums.
All the cops have to do is stop shooting people needlessly and the chaos will stop. it's very simple, other countries seems to be able to handle not shotting their own citizens needlessly why can't the US.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2020, 11:34 PM

Quote:
I predict rough waters ahead. COVID and BLM are plowing the field, planting the seeds of radicalism that will be harvested by an ascendant left who will assuredly drive wealth & normalcy from the city. The media and elected representatives have condoned endless protest and lawlessness that can be sparked from any disagreeable news now--even in far-flung locales like Minneapolis! That isn't good for stability or security. Toss in rising anti-Semitism, anti-Asian sentiments, racial divisions, demoralization by law enforcement, apathy by anyone right-of-center, high costs, remote workplaces, and a digital world served by delivery drivers.

The crocodile has been unleashed and there won't be enough neoliberals to fight it off. Republicans, disillusioned by their fellow countrymen and corporate enemies, will cheer on as cities become devoured. I don't think anyone really knows what is going to happen in November but it could break the backs of cities. The country could even decend into civil war or martial law, the kindling is already being laid for one. There have been multiple sparks and it only takes one of them moving past the "safe zones" of Michigan Ave, Fifth Ave, Minneapolis Autozone, and the Portland Courthouse. As you can tell, I have a fairly pessimistic view, hopefully I'm wrong.

All thanks to your dear leader who thrives on creating chaos. I have never seen a politician make every situation his is involed in worst than if he wasn't there

Old Posted Aug 29, 2020, 11:50 PM

Yup.
This country is far angrier than what it was during Obama's stretch. It is so bad. I can't imagine what another 4 years of this crap would be.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2020, 12:02 AM

We are living in Trump’s America. He’s President and owns what is happening. Remember that we’ve been celebrating the boom of our inner cities on this forum over the past 10 years.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2020, 12:10 AM

Quote:
We are living in Trump’s America. He’s President and owns what is happening. Remember that we’ve been celebrating the boom of our inner cities on this forum over the past 10 years.
I've honestly started to wonder what it's like living in another country. I don't say that lightly, and that thought never crossed my mind before. I probably won't, but just stick to the Californias/Seattles/Chicagos/NYCs etc. It's a sad thing to say.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2020, 12:53 AM

I hear you LA21st. Because I spent part of my youth overseas (Berlin in the 70s and 80s as an Army brat) I didn’t grow up with a real sense of the type of blind patriotism you see from supporters of you-know-who (I think being exposed to other cultures at a young age gave me a more discerning and critical perspective). That changed for me after experiencing living in NYC during 9/11. I traveled to Spain the summer after (post invasion of Iraq & Afghanistan) and I found myself defending my country more often that I care to remember. This feels different. Even then we in NYC felt the love and support of ALL Americans that our nation’s premier city had been attacked and thousands of innocents had perished. Now, hundreds of thousands of innocents have perished but everyone runs to their tribes’ corners rather than asking themselves “how did we get here?” Why do we have the highest infection and death rates for a virus that originated in Asia? Someone has to take responsibility. My husband is in the process of getting his Irish citizenship and as much as I love this country, one that my recently deceased father did 2 tours in Vietnam for (he HATED Trump), I fear for its future.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2020, 1:10 AM

For a full rebirth of NYC it is absolutely necessary an immediate return of the 24/7 subway service!!

Old Posted Aug 30, 2020, 1:29 AM

Quote:
I hear you LA21st. Because I spent part of my youth overseas (Berlin in the 70s and 80s as an Army brat) I didn’t grow up with a real sense of the type of blind patriotism you see from supporters of you-know-who (I think being exposed to other cultures at a young age gave me a more discerning and critical perspective). That changed for me after experiencing living in NYC during 9/11. I traveled to Spain the summer after (post invasion of Iraq & Afghanistan) and I found myself defending my country more often that I care to remember. This feels different. Even then we in NYC felt the love and support of ALL Americans that our nation’s premier city had been attacked and thousands of innocents had perished. Now, hundreds of thousands of innocents have perished but everyone runs to their tribes’ corners rather than asking themselves “how did we get here?” Why do we have the highest infection and death rates for a virus that originated in Asia? Someone has to take responsibility. My husband is in the process of getting his Irish citizenship and as much as I love this country, one that my recently deceased father did 2 tours in Vietnam for (he HATED Trump), I fear for its future.
I joined the Air Force after 9/11 for a bit, so I remember the patriot stuff fondly. It was pretty awesome. This is very different, the country seems broken.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions