HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Engineering

Old Posted Feb 27, 2010, 3:34 AM
HVAC guru

Any CCTV gurus out there ?

I've just started a new job and part of my mandate is to assist in the upgrade of an older digital CCTV system with 64 PTZ and 30 stationary IP cameras connected to a server loaded with Honeywell software multiplexed to eight monitors. We also have an older BNC coax system that feeds to a multiplexer and is basically view only on two separate screens for the two dozen units on that system and that is being upgraded as a part of this project as well.

We have little storage capacity and our system is multi-generational so we've got several PC's networked together and feeding to a central server, we have to switch PC's when we want to access different feeds, record video or access features that are available on one rev. of our software but not another.

My specialty is HVAC controls, but I have experience with CCTV, but that was way back in the analog days, and I am having trouble figuring out options. The cameras are not a problem, they are all good IP cameras, the old coax ones are being replaced with IP PTZ's and about half the existing ones are are megapixel cams, plus we've got a site wide network. The issue is with the head end... I've been aproached with two proposals, a server upgrade and a switch to DVR's. The big downside to the DVR's is that they are hugely expensive compared to a server. I'd also like to stick with the Honeywell software because it seems pretty solid and the operators know it well. We move cams around a lot, and add units regularly, so I'm also looking for cost effective expandability. We're also looking at recording a lot more video so we need much more storage space as well.

It seems like I'm sold on the servers but a friend in the business has told me that the DVR's are the best long term option. I'm getting advise on both sides, but I'm leaning towards a server with upgrade software and several really high capacity hard drives.

Anyone have any thoughts on this ?

Last edited by 240glt; Feb 27, 2010 at 4:20 AM. Reason: spelling

Old Posted Feb 27, 2010, 3:48 AM
BANNED

oh guy i ve worked with honeywell bull systems with hvac and cctv but this was past 15 years. Forgot already all to give a help.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2010, 7:15 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

We've used Honeywell Fusions system with very good success. A power supply went on one of our dvrs and I borrowed a spare from another site a Fusion 3 and it was incredible. Sucked going back to the old Fusion. Not sure if there is a newer Fusion out. The initial cost sucks but they are pretty reliable, and later on when stuff eventually dies out you can just throw in off the shelf items to repair. With your set up you could get away with three Fusion 32 channel dvrs, and they could all broadcast to a central viewing station using a single regular pc. To drive 8 monitors going is going to be expensive though, if you can get away with 6 you can do it cheaply with a pair of ati's new 5000 series cards you could use the cheap ones as you are just playing back video. If you require 8 you are probably stuck buying Matrox stuff which gets costly.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2010, 10:51 PM
HVAC guru

Just an update, we went with a server & software upgrade to speed up our system, added 20 PTZ's and 10 stationaries to the existing 94, We're now at 6 Tb storage on three servers, each one running two 2.8Gb dual core processors (dell machines) and viewing the whole works with Honeywell DVM software. At 3 FPS we can record on all cameras for about a month before the system starts to purge. The darkscreen and motion recording are really nice features, and as the cameras are recording all the time anyways, you don't miss the first few fractions of a second like you do with real time motion recording. We're now running 100Mb multi-mode to the far reaches so that we can replace the last few dozen Coax cameras with IP units.

The only thing I don't like is the settings required on the new system, they are very finicky and if they are not set right the controllability of the cameras is difficult. We're working though that thought.

We've already caught several major incidents on video that we otherwise would not have been able to record (Previously all our recording was done manually by the dispatchers) I am happy with the results thus far.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2010, 7:42 AM

Only thing I don't like is the settings required on the new system.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Engineering