HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

375 East Wacker Drive in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 15, 2007, 1:29 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by archytype View Post
The tower may not appear as 900'+ in the Tribune image - that may be b/c due to the buildings overall enormous mass.
I'm a bit confused by this part... are you saying that this 76-story proposal is still > 900', despite prior rumors claiming 90+ stories for this building? Could you please elaborate?

Old Posted May 15, 2007, 11:11 PM
you know where I'll be

$400 million budget?

I think someone had already mentioned this - but I had the same thought about the reported budget - seemed a touch light to me at first, especially considering the sheer size of units - about 220 hotel suites, 670 condos......I would have thought it would be closer to $500 mil........I hope we're not looking at just a massive VE exercise here...(yes it can be an essential ingrediant in getting these projects built at a profit, as long as Loewenberg isn't allowed to go overboard and make it look cheap...)

Also - this project did pop up on Bidclerk.com today...

Old Posted May 15, 2007, 11:55 PM
Registered

^ Good to know. Looks like they're moving rather quickly.

Old Posted May 16, 2007, 4:49 AM
Vertical Polyphony

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherPunter View Post
Just for kicks, the view from McClurg.

If this is in fact the true placement of the tower, then it will end up creating the worlds largest sundial. High-noon will be measured by the sun's even arrival onto McClurg. Maybe the city can feature a vernal/autumnal equinox block party.

Old Posted May 16, 2007, 1:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post

Also - this project did pop up on Bidclerk.com today...
DAMN....talk about fast track.

Old Posted May 16, 2007, 2:16 PM

The cut-out seems to be a good solution to gaining back some of the corner units that were lost when they went from 3 buildings to 1. The original plan of three structures gave them 12 corner units per floor.

Old Posted May 16, 2007, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Onion Mike View Post
If this is in fact the true placement of the tower, then it will end up creating the worlds largest sundial. High-noon will be measured by the sun's even arrival onto McClurg. Maybe the city can feature a vernal/autumnal equinox block party.
shhhhhhhh! we dont need dubai gettin wind of this. they allready have something in the works to take this title

Old Posted May 17, 2007, 7:09 PM
BANNED

Thumbs down

God... this is really sad!

Old Posted May 17, 2007, 7:12 PM
'Purple Resonant Dust'

An abomination.

Old Posted May 17, 2007, 7:16 PM
devout Pizzatarian

it's wise to make absolutist proclomations about proposed works of architecture going on nothing more than a scanned black & white newspaper image that was small and crappy to begin with. only an idiot would take a more cautionary approach and wait for more visual information to be released by the development team before taking a hard line stance either for or against. as anyone who is even remotely affiliated with the field of architecture knows, detailing is absolutely irrelevant to the quality of a work of architecture, as long as you have a blurry image of the gross massing of a building, that's really the only piece of info needed to proclaim it either an outright abomination or the artistic equivalent of the second coming of christ.

patience is for suckers, it's much wiser to be hasty. let's all rush to judgement!

Last edited by Steely Dan; May 17, 2007 at 8:04 PM.

Old Posted May 17, 2007, 8:24 PM

I emailed the reporter who wrote the article and asked for a color version of the rendering. Alas...there was no response.

Old Posted May 17, 2007, 8:49 PM

Design is....

... have I made myself clear?

Architects should be and roasted

Developers are "design challenged' or

Old Posted May 17, 2007, 9:53 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
it's wise to make absolutist proclomations about proposed works of architecture going on nothing more than a scanned black & white newspaper image that was small and crappy to begin with. only an idiot would take a more cautionary approach and wait for more visual information to be released by the development team before taking a hard line stance either for or against. as anyone who is even remotely affiliated with the field of architecture knows, detailing is absolutely irrelevant to the quality of a work of architecture, as long as you have a blurry image of the gross massing of a building, that's really the only piece of info needed to proclaim it either an outright abomination or the artistic equivalent of the second coming of christ.

patience is for suckers, it's much wiser to be hasty. let's all rush to judgement!

Old Posted May 17, 2007, 10:19 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adyton View Post

You are completely right. Bean-counters should be the only ones qualified to design buildings!

Old Posted May 17, 2007, 11:02 PM

The only thing making this look horrible is the newspaper-B&W quality of the rendering, makes it all 60s and crap.

I think the potential is massive though, esp. if they can make it look as fresh as waterview / aqua.

Old Posted May 17, 2007, 11:28 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:

Well, I'm an architect and I could say the same for you regardless of the fact that I don't know who you are. Is your attitude indicative of how you treat/see all people? If so, you're a sorry individual and others like you obviously can't see the deliberate sarcasm of Steely's post and how right he is: everyone who thinks this building is s**t is an idiot for basing their opinion on the fact that it is not a decent enough representation/rendering of what the building will look like. It's a shame ingrates such as yourself don't understand the concept of patience and don't have the ability to debate or discuss things in a civilized manner.

Old Posted May 18, 2007, 12:06 AM
illwaukee/crooklyn

Quote:

Vapid, premature judgements sound just this much more legitmate when they aren't infiltrated with smilies to begin with (this is assuming, of course, that vapid, premature judgements have legitimacy in the first place).

Old Posted May 18, 2007, 1:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post

This building may be great, but isn't.

Old Posted May 18, 2007, 1:56 AM

Great, now Chicago's rippin' off the Big D!!!!

</Jokin'>

Old Posted May 18, 2007, 2:01 AM
Expert

Gotta wonder why only a b/w newspaper image is being released. . .Doesn't make much sense, especially since the newspaper image sucks.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive