HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jun 9, 2009, 8:01 AM

Enjoy ! famous site !

Old Posted Jun 9, 2009, 9:28 AM

Way, way cool.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2009, 11:36 AM
New Yorker for life

I'll be going away for a couple of weeks, so it'll be a while before I can get up there and take some photos of my own. So here's another look at those great shots,
really the first great set since this first segment opening...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
imjustsayin

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2009, 12:15 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.nypost.com/seven/06092009...sky_173295.htm

HIGH LINE AN OASIS IN THE SKY
WONDERFUL WALK IN THE PARK THE LATEST GREAT THING FOR NY

BEGINNINGS: Newlyweds Cynthia and James Lui begin life together yesterday.

June 9, 2009

IT TAKES only about 15 minutes to stroll the length of the High Line Park's just- opened first section from Gansevoort Street to West 20th Street.

But they might be the most fun 15 minutes you can spend upright. The elevated park's premiere phase is so enchanting, and more than worthy of expectations, that you'll only want more. The second half-mile extending north to West 30th Street is supposed to open in the fall of 2010, and it can't come soon enough.

By now, everyone knows the back story: nearly 30 years of public and private drama and trauma over what to do with an industrial-age railroad trestle 30 feet above the street, where no train ran after 1980. In a rare misjudgment, Rudy Giuliani wanted to demolish it.

Ever since Mayor Bloomberg put the city's muscle and money into the scheme in 2002, the park's struggle to be born, catalyzed by visionary Friends of the High Line founders Robert Hammond and Joshua David, has been chronicled to the point of tedium.

But if you're tired of High Line hype, you're in for a surprise. It's beautiful, witty, recreationally compelling and emotionally captivating from end to end. What an astonishing variety of effects the designers and landscapers managed to pull off in such narrow confines!

The railroad theme announces itself at the outset when you enter at Gansevoort Street: strips of actual preserved tracks and ties, overgrown with a profusion of pretty flowers representing the wild species said to have sprouted after the trains stopped running.

It seems contrived only at first. As the track segments end, reappear, fade and return again as you proceed northward, they grow more persuasive and haunting. This was a railroad, and the engineers must have loved the ride.

The High Line affords perspectives you can't get from the street or from inside a building. If yachts on the Hudson don't capture your fancy, the arm's-length view into an Equinox gym class, seething with lithe young bodies, should do the trick.

Weaving astride and across 10th Avenue, the park cheerfully reveals and superimposes strata of city history like old "March of Time" murals. It rubs shoulders with graffiti-scarred tenements. It runs under the new Standard Hotel, which straddles the High Line like a jolly colossus, and through an old loading-dock area of Chelsea Market.

The latter is blessed with Spencer Finch's "The River That Flows Both Ways," an art installation of 700 laminated glass panels -- which, no doubt coincidentally, blocks views into the national security offices housed above Del Posto at 85 10th Ave.

Under a sky bigger than Manhattanites normally enjoy, cross streets fall away as in old postcard images, framed by brick facades you feel you're seeing for the first time.

An open-air parking garage, surprisingly intricate from above, competes for your loyalties with the roof of a veal-processing plant. Where the park veers toward the river at 18th Street, new buildings designed by Frank Gehry and Jean Nouvel blossom.

There's no telling which spots will be most popular, but brace for the crush at an amphitheaterlike lookout point at 17th Street, where sloped wooden steps afford a grand view up 10th Avenue.

Lead designer James Corner said he sought to preserve the original High Line's "melancholy and solitude." Enough of its lonely mystique survives to evoke New York's vanished industrial age.

But forget solitude. This won't be a place for quiet contemplation but for the joyous, casual public massing that makes New York unique and most exalted among cities.

__

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2009, 2:50 PM
Show me the blueprints

Boy if we could just have the SAS station entrances look like that 1st pic, then we'd have something!

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jun 9, 2009, 7:05 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

here's mine via wiredny & urbanohio.....

very exciting news -- the high line park is now open to one and all!

these shots are from yesterday's High Line Park advance media day 6/8/09.
it wasn't too formal, i got an email about it and i just walked up no problem.
Lucky i did as it's very rainy today, the park's official public opening day.

info from the press packet:

Section I: Gansevoort St to w20th St (Now Open)
Section II: w20th St to 30th St (opens 2010)
Section III: West Side Rail Yards (Not Yet Secured)

Size
Section I: 2.7 Acres, 9 Blocks, 0.5 mile
Section II: 2.14 Acres, 10 Blocks, 0.5 mile
Section III: 2.15 Acres, 0.45 mile
Total: 7.08 Acres, 22 Blocks, 1.45 mile

Design Team 2004-2009
Design Lead/Landscape Architecture/Urban Design: James Corner Field Operations
Architecture: Diller, Scofidio + Renfro
Plantings: Piet Ouldolf
Structural/MEP Engineering: Buro Happold
Structural Engineering/Historic Preservation: Robert Silman Associates
Lighting: L'Observatorie International
Signage: Pentagram Design, Inc
Artwork: Spencer Tunik
Operations: Friends of the Highline, a 501(c)(3) non-profit,
Provides 70% of the operating budget under license
Agreement w/NYC Dept. of Parks & Recreation

Last edited by mrnyc; Jun 9, 2009 at 9:39 PM.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2009, 11:33 PM

very nice! makes me miss new york. but i think they should plant more flowers, shrubs and bushes. right now the garden does not look that impressive. much of the greenery planted look like weeds.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2009, 11:41 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razqal View Post
much of the greenery planted look like weeds.
That's intentional. The idea is to reproduce that "wild" look that was there before the reconstruction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc
Great photos. I'm almost jealous that I won't be around myself to get photos for a couple of weeks.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2009, 12:00 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Jun 10, 2009, 1:35 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

nice work.

now i'm looking forward to somebody putting up some night shots!

Old Posted Jun 10, 2009, 2:47 AM
Have no regrets

To think this nearly got razed..

I love the industrial feel. Too bad they planted too much greenery near the edge as it discourages from getting closer and appreciating the city/street scenes down below. Still cool though, I can't wait to go up there myself. Thanks for the pics!

Old Posted Jun 10, 2009, 3:29 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

never fear, there are plenty of spectacular views and places to get close to the edge.

as an example, check out the glass plate here across the southern end at gansevoort st

also, the plantings are meant to reflect what the high line looked like between the time it closed in 1980 and before it was redeveloped.
so it's the same types of plants that once grew wild up there.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2009, 12:43 PM
New Yorker for life

High Line, Chicago style...

(curbed.como)

Quote:
Grand Theft High Line —First Seattle, and now Chicago wants to steal the High Line idea, for a three-mile-long (2x the High Line's length!) train-trestle-to-park conversion called Bloomingdale Trail. This one already has a website and everything: "Imagine a 3-mile-long elevated linear park running through the heart of Chicago, connecting neighborhoods, the river, and our great park system. Built from a former rail line, the Bloomingdale Trail will make us healthier, get us to school and work faster, and provide us with great chances to play and mingle."
Here's the link...
http://www.bloomingdaletrail.org/

Old Posted Jun 11, 2009, 12:56 PM
New Yorker for life

End of the line, until next year...

Petroleumjelliffe

Old Posted Jun 12, 2009, 3:53 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Jun 12, 2009, 4:12 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Jun 12, 2009, 5:50 AM

How long is it? Is there a map of how long it stretches?

Old Posted Jun 12, 2009, 1:14 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krases View Post
How long is it? Is there a map of how long it stretches?
A little over a mile, though only about a third has been completed and opened, currently up to about 20th Street...

thehighline.org

destinationchelsea.org

Old Posted Jun 12, 2009, 1:20 PM
New Yorker for life

All of these photos have been fantastick. The people have not let me down...

agent j loves agent a

Old Posted Jun 12, 2009, 4:14 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
High Line, Chicago style...

(curbed.como)

Here's the link...
http://www.bloomingdaletrail.org/

thats far from the only one.

per the friends of the highline site there are many other similar projects in various stages of consideration:

Reading Viaduct, Philadelphia, PA
Bloomingdale Trail, Chicago, IL
Rail Corridor, St. Louis, MO
Harsimus Stem Embankment, Jersey City, NJ
High Bridge, Manhattan/Bronx, NY
Rockaway Beach Greenway, Queens, NY
Hofpleinlijn, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Highland Railroad Bridge, Poughkeepsie, NY
Florida Keys Overseas Heritage Trail, FL
Stone Arch Bridge and "Bridge 9", Minneapolis, MN
Save Our Steel, Bethlehem, PA

i am sure le promanade plantee in paris and now the high line park in here in ny will inspire at least some of them to move forward!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development