HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Feb 11, 2009, 1:55 AM

^^just a buff, checking out the different styles in Southern Ontario

Quote:
Originally Posted by van Hemessen View Post
If by "urban" you're describing high density older neighbourhoods with small walk-ups and rowhouses (like much of Hamilton and parts of Toronto) I think the lack of such architecture in London is mostly because the "urban" parts of other cities are former industrial slums. London never had the huge manufacturing base that cities like Toronto and Hamilton did and thus had no need to house thousands of laborers at a very low cost. Hence, few dense inner city neighbourhoods.
That's part of it, though I think there is more to the difference in urban form than that. At least in Hamilton, the upper and middle classes also lived in rowhouses. Many were loyalists from the east coast in the US. Also in Hamilton's case there is the geographic constraint of the Niagara Escarpment and the lake and harbour. Both Toronto and Hamilton became large cities (2nd and 4th largest in Canada) in the late 1800's and being compact made it easier to get around the city in the days before the automobile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by photolitherland View Post
Are these houses protected like in an historic district or something? They are incredibly beautiful and very well preserved.
Woodfield is designated as an historic district and some of the houses are designated under the Ontario Heritage Act. Seeing as so many of the houses are well cared for, I think this neighbourhood will retain its historic character.

Last edited by flar; Feb 11, 2009 at 2:35 AM.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2009, 1:33 PM

Love that yelow brick!

Old Posted Feb 18, 2009, 5:57 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
^^just a buff, checking out the different styles in Southern Ontario

That's part of it, though I think there is more to the difference in urban form than that. At least in Hamilton, the upper and middle classes also lived in rowhouses. Many were loyalists from the east coast in the US. Also in Hamilton's case there is the geographic constraint of the Niagara Escarpment and the lake and harbour. Both Toronto and Hamilton became large cities (2nd and 4th largest in Canada) in the late 1800's and being compact made it easier to get around the city in the days before the automobile.

Woodfield is designated as an historic district and some of the houses are designated under the Ontario Heritage Act. Seeing as so many of the houses are well cared for, I think this neighbourhood will retain its historic character.
Woodfield is beautiful, especially in the summer/fall. They've always had a very active community association which keeps a watchful eye on development. I used to live in a great 1920's apartment, 391 Princess. It had a gated elevator that the super called her "James Bond elevator"! There was telephone nook built into the wall and a fold-down ironing board which was hidden behind a wooden door. Really cool.

If you get a chance flar, check out north of Oxford St. Walk up Waterloo to Huron and get a load of St. Peter's Seminary. So beautiful. Go further up to Epworth/Mayfair by King's College and then double back down Waterloo to Regent St. Head west to Regent and Wellington where there's a 2 block section of boulevard that will blow you away. There's a stone house on the corner that is really magnificent. If you're up for more, follow Regent accross Huron and wander around that area to Gibbons Park. I guarantee you'll be snapping photos every 5 seconds!

Also, go to Blackfriars neighbourhood down by the Thames, but make sure you go down Talbot and cross the Blackfriars Bridge. It's a really narrow, iron pre-fab structure. The neighbourhood isn't grand but it's really quaint. You can follow the river to Labatt Park, a classic old ballpark.

Check out Wortley Village while you're at it, you won't regret it.

OK, I'm done!

Old Posted Feb 18, 2009, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfanman View Post
Woodfield is beautiful, especially in the summer/fall. They've always had a very active community association which keeps a watchful eye on development. I used to live in a great 1920's apartment, 391 Princess. It had a gated elevator that the super called her "James Bond elevator"! There was telephone nook built into the wall and a fold-down ironing board which was hidden behind a wooden door. Really cool.

If you get a chance flar, check out north of Oxford St. Walk up Waterloo to Huron and get a load of St. Peter's Seminary. So beautiful. Go further up to Epworth/Mayfair by King's College and then double back down Waterloo to Regent St. Head west to Regent and Wellington where there's a 2 block section of boulevard that will blow you away. There's a stone house on the corner that is really magnificent. If you're up for more, follow Regent accross Huron and wander around that area to Gibbons Park. I guarantee you'll be snapping photos every 5 seconds!

Also, go to Blackfriars neighbourhood down by the Thames, but make sure you go down Talbot and cross the Blackfriars Bridge. It's a really narrow, iron pre-fab structure. The neighbourhood isn't grand but it's really quaint. You can follow the river to Labatt Park, a classic old ballpark.

Check out Wortley Village while you're at it, you won't regret it.

OK, I'm done!
You know London well. I used to live in the Blackfriars area, then downtown. Whenever I manage to get back to London I'll be touring Old South/Wortley Village. But I am tempted to go into that nice area north of Oxford.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2009, 3:52 PM

OMG! I just lost all bodily control with those Second Empire Vic pics!!! Fantastic details with all the styles and years. Much appreciated.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2013, 3:51 PM

London is a lovely city.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2020, 5:22 AM

It's been a long time since this thread but anyone have any other pics of lovely London?

Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 11:49 PM

I thought I knew London pretty well. It turns out I don't. Good set...

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos