HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation

Old Posted Aug 18, 2019, 5:36 AM

Ultimately it comes down to the quality of players we have, so I don't see how firing Lenarduzzi is going to change things, since that wasn't his department. Anytime you see a franchise perpetually bad, no matter what league, it comes down to ownership. When fans saw that the Davies transfer fee money wasn't going to be used to bring in quality players, they started to give up on the team. I know I did.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2019, 4:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
Surprised no one mentioned the great news about Bob Lenarduzzi being let go as club president. Too bad he is still a part of the organization although I suspect it's only a token position until they let him fade away quietly. Wether or not the owners open up the purse strings is a different matter but it will be good for soccer in Vancouver to get be clear of his meddling. The club supporters have been calling for this for a few years now. Hopefully we see Soccer Canada do the same and we can finally move forward at the national level too.
I was happy as well to hear he has been 'fired'. He has been holding the Whitecaps back for far too long.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2019, 8:35 PM

Hope that's the tip of the iceberg in terms of changes coming, this franchise was once the shiny new thing in MLS and now it's part of the sad sack at the bottom of the league.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2019, 8:43 PM

I know they have those curtains or whatever to make the stadium seem more intimate, but it still looks very makeshift and second rate. They need a soccer specific stadium. I'm presuming BC Place takes a cut of revenues generated, and the artificial turf is keeping players away from Vancouver. A proper stadium should be the first thing that is addressed.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2019, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svlt View Post
... and now it's part of the sad sack at the bottom of the league.
Honest question, have we ever had a sports team at the top of a league?

Old Posted Aug 19, 2019, 9:44 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
I know they have those curtains or whatever to make the stadium seem more intimate, but it still looks very makeshift and second rate. They need a soccer specific stadium. I'm presuming BC Place takes a cut of revenues generated, and the artificial turf is keeping players away from Vancouver. A proper stadium should be the first thing that is addressed.
Where is there even land available to build one that's accessible to fans? The cost of such a build is probably worth enough to keep the team at BC Place for the foreseeable future.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2019, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
Honest question, have we ever had a sports team at the top of a league?
Canucks had back to back President's Trophy winning years. Of course no cup, but that's the top of the regular season twice in a row.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2019, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Where is there even land available to build one that's accessible to fans? The cost of such a build is probably worth enough to keep the team at BC Place for the foreseeable future.
It seems the Port of Vancouver doesn't want anything built over their tracks, so a waterfront stadium isn't going to happen anytime soon. The first thing that I can think of is to rebuild Swangard Stadium to MLS standard. It's less than a 10 minute walk from Patterson Skytrain, and your still in the thick of the city. Nice views of the mountains, and nice views of DT Vancouver from the east stands. Or even in the large park space right beside Patterson Station. Burnaby would love to have the Whitecaps in their city, so I'm sure something could be worked out.

I'm hearing the Whitecaps are going to want to bring in someone from overseas. If that's the case, the first thing the guy is going to want to do is build a soccer specific stadium.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Canucks had back to back President's Trophy winning years. Of course no cup, but that's the top of the regular season twice in a row.
If this was a Euro style league that accomplishment would be celebrated for decades

But instead they became a bit of a laughing stock...

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 8:46 PM

They have not been "a bit of a laughing stock". That's a comment from someone who really doesn't follow hockey. The Canucks were strong for many years, and with the decline of the Sedins and other key players, of course the team declined. This is a normal cycle for any team.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 10:10 PM

Quote:
It seems the Port of Vancouver doesn't want anything built over their tracks, so a waterfront stadium isn't going to happen anytime soon. The first thing that I can think of is to rebuild Swangard Stadium to MLS standard. It's less than a 10 minute walk from Patterson Skytrain, and your still in the thick of the city. Nice views of the mountains, and nice views of DT Vancouver from the east stands. Or even in the large park space right beside Patterson Station. Burnaby would love to have the Whitecaps in their city, so I'm sure something could be worked out.
Good idea - that would finally validate Patterson's existence.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 11:07 PM

When the Whitecaps were promoted to MLS back in 2010, Burnaby offered to upgrade Swangard to MLS capacity in an effort to keep the Whitecaps there, so the Whitecaps could probly get a sweetheart deal from the City of Burnaby. BC Place was suppose to be temporary and it's been 8 years now at BC Place. Time for the team to grow up.

An MLS stadium at Boundary and Kingsway would stimulate growth even further in that area, likely spurring high density development along the Central Park section of Boundary. There has been zero talk of a stadium at Swangard though...

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 11:10 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
When the Whitecaps were promoted to MLS back in 2010
I'm nitpicking but it's semantics - the Whitecaps were not promoted to MLS. They were granted an expansion franchise.

Quote:
Burnaby offered to upgrade Swangard to MLS capacity in an effort to keep the Whitecaps there, so the Whitecaps could probly get a sweetheart deal from the City of Burnaby.
At this point it would have to be a pretty significant upgrade IMO. BC Place is a fine facility in and of itself and there's nothing really wrong with it aside from being too big and a bit to multipurpose for the Caps. An upgraded Swangard would be perfect if the Caps could own and operate the facility on their own (and if the owners were willing to put money into the franchise...).

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 7:34 PM

Quote:
They have not been "a bit of a laughing stock". That's a comment from someone who really doesn't follow hockey. The Canucks were strong for many years, and with the decline of the Sedins and other key players, of course the team declined. This is a normal cycle for any team.
I don't wish to engage in a pissing match on a Skyscraper/city forum about hockey nevermind in a thread about the Caps, but have you really watched this team the past three years? Under this management regime and studied some of the executive decisions that were made? The bar is pretty low if you think the team isn't a joke today. There are metrics that show this has been one of the worst performing franchises in some elements of the game over the past three seasons.

No doubt the team was very strong - back to back top of the league, back to back Art Ross winners, grooming some of the most vaunted offensive players in the league (Bure, WCE, Sedins and soon EP). But it's also one of the longest tenured teams without a Championship and is expected to spin its wheels for years to come. For lifetime mediocrity we are on an active race to the bottom with Buffalo, 48 seasons and counting. I measure professional sports success in championships and failure in droughts. Nevermind the cup, since being a win away in 2011 we haven't won a series in eight years.

Believe me, I watch and follow hockey.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 10:04 PM

Like I said, this is a fairly routine rebuild for an NHL team in today's NHL, where rebuilds happen through the draft. It is extremely difficult to rebuild your team and not miss consecutive play-off seasons. I participate in hockey specific forums, and knowledgeable hockey fans from all over NA are not calling the Canucks a joke. They in fact recognize the Canucks are not a great team now obviously, but building back up with all-star and elite level talent through the draft, and are building towards being a top contender again.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation