HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography

Old Posted Sep 21, 2013, 7:15 PM

Yellowstone and other National Parks

You may remember Anya (8) and Grant (4) from earlier trips. Or you may not, but the keiki from Hawaii loved Yellowstone this past July. Here's a sampling of my family's photos and a narrative of our two days.

We left Cody at 5am, getting to Old Faithful around 7:45am. We passed the East entrance without having to pay. We drove directly, but we did take our time to stop for views over the lake. We also paused to get out to look at hot springs and steam holes.

The 7:45am arrival time was perfect. The kids weren't groggy and it wasn't crowded at all. Best yet, Old Faithful was to go off at 8:08am. I was totally unprepared for how awesome the eruption would be, needless to say.

After that, we had a little time to get our Junior Ranger books and meet for the Geyser Hill tour. We happened to catch the Aurum geyser explode while on the ranger-led tour. Then a second Old Faithful eruption right after that one finished! Then back to the visitors center to work on the Junior Ranger books... which took enough time to see a third Old Faithful!

So, it was almost noon, and I knew from earlier sage advice not to rush things. So we had a picnic at Whiskey Flat and figured out the rest of the day.

The kids were having fun frolicking in the meadow, so they weren't too anxious to get going to the next geyser collection. After all, we did see quite a few on the ranger walk. Norris Basin and Artists Paintpots were dropped from our itinerary until next time, but did take a stroll around the colorful Prismatic Spring.

Then we headed to our lodging to check in and shop for souvenirs. For some strange reason, my son Grant loved the place. :lol: They read the book "Who Pooped in the Park", where the author sent them an autographed copy.

We strolled down to the lake where our kids loved wading in the water. I found this odd, as Waikiki isn't quite as chilly. But then again, perhaps it's not fair to compare Wyoming to Hawaii

Dinner was at the Lake House, then we walked it off taking a lap around West Thumb. The kids got to see their boiling mud pit, so maybe Mud Volcano could be dropped until next time. The kids were sick of smelling "rotten eggs", to the point where they'd run away from the steam, so I'd say they smelled enough.

Back to Grant Village for the night. One thing I'd like to add: we never felt rushed. We took the kids' pace and never felt like we had to dash to the car for the next thing. Even the weather was cooperative, we only got rain as we headed back to the car at West Thumb.

The next morning, we got up early and drove north through Hayden Valley. We left Grant at 6:30am and were the only car on the road.

Now, up until this point on our road trip, I hadn't seen any buffalo in ID, MT, WY, SD, or NE. I was getting a tad anxious, as I really wanted to see one. Then I spotted a bison eating at a picnic area near the lake. Pulled in and got my pictures!! Feeling my bucket list checked, I saw a car was stopped in front of me. A bison was walking down the road, nearly scraping my mirror as it sauntered past. Wow! Two in one day!

Then we got to the area past Mud Volcano, and the road was filled with buffalo! Walking up and down the hills, across the road, by our car, everywhere. Must've been 3-4 dozen, including calves. There were only a couple cars around us, so we stuck around watching these majestic beasts.

We got up to Artists Point, just in time as a Chinese tour bus was leaving. It was maybe 9:00am, so the cloudless sun was shining right into the canyon and waterfalls.

Then we went to the brink of the Upper Falls, and we saw another buffalo in the parking median. As I started tip-toeing to shoot it, we saw another animal digging. A BEAR! Okay, I'll stay where I am. The bear got up, then sauntered down the parking lot, ignoring us.

Breakfast at Canyon and they turned in their books and got their Junior Ranger patches. Their grandmother made them a vest in anticipation of their badges from Yellowstone and other parks on our road trip.

Viewed the Roaring Mountain, strolled along the Lower Terraces at Mammoth Springs, took the obligatory "Welcome to Yellowstone" sign picture and called it a day.

So, that was my quick Yellowstone report! You can see many, many more pictures on our Great American Road Trip album. We did quite the multi-state tour, which is hard to do in Hawaii.

https://picasaweb.google.com/triproad13

Last edited by HubZilla; Sep 24, 2013 at 8:19 AM.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2013, 9:19 PM
Universal Traveler

Smile

Absolutely fantastic tour and pictures, HubZilla! Thanks for sharing.

What a wonderful National Park! I see you had a great and funny time visiting Yellowstone. The pics of the buffalos are amazing, and those of the bear too. Outstanding landscapes. A beautiful treasure.

By the way, your family is lovely.

Congrats and greetings from Madrid, Spain.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2013, 4:31 AM

Nice pictures! It looks like your trip went really well.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2013, 7:06 PM

Thanks for sharing. You're kids remind me of older versions of my own (well except the Hawaiian part). I'm looking forward to and dreading our first big road trip. Seems like you handled it well. Taking notes...

Old Posted Sep 24, 2013, 8:14 AM

More National Parks

It was their first long multi-state road trip ever. Why, do I live on an island or something? Why yes, in Hawaii. So, you can understand the enthusiam (and some trepidation). Our flight was from Honolulu to Spokane, Washington. The ultimate goal would be my parents' home in Lincoln, Nebraska. We followed I-90 all the way to Lincoln and back, visiting five National Parks.

Little Bighorn Battlefield National Momument was the first of five national parks. The park wasn't a typical battlefield full of statues and cannons, but our Ranger-Led Walk really helped set the stage. I had remembered reading about Custer as either a hero holding off hordes of savages or as villain attacking Indians who just wanted to keep their land. The truth, I learned through the battlefield visit and a book I bought there, lay somewhere in the middle. I was surprised how balanced the presentation was.

Custer wasn't just some headstrong soldier who rashly charged the encampment. Okay, maybe he was. But he wasn't totally recklessly searching for glory. His tactics were trying to duplicate an earlier successful Battle of Was-hi-ta, where he attacked before the Indians had a chance to scatter.

The problem was the village was much much larger than anyone anticipated, especially after Custer has split his forces. A tragic refrain in military history is trying to re-fight your last battle.

A fascinating tidbit on the Indian side: the ranger's Crow ancestors served as scouts for Custer. Were they considered traitors? NO! The Sioux and Crow were bitter enemies and the Sioux took Crow land. The Crow aligned themselves with the US in the hopes of getting their land back. Did it work? Absolutely! The land surrounding the battlefield is still a Crow reservation! History isn't always so black and white.

Anya and Grant earned their first of five Junior Ranger badges.

I see two Grants:

National Park #2 was Mount Rushmore National Memorial. I had originally thought there wouldn't be much here. After all, there wasn't much more than a mountain with four faces, right? But, WOW, that mountain was impressive! Pictures can't really do it justice.

The obligatory picture of the kids in front of Mt Rushmore. It wasn't the first time I wish I brought a larger lens. But my wife's zoom seemed to capture the telephoto effect of bringing the mountain closer.

We took the Presidential Trail, which went right under the heads.

The're good ole' George. The original plan was to have them fully standing against the mountain, but only Geoge's coat made the cut.

I always wondered why Theodore Roosevelt was on Mt Rushmore. The other three seemed very obvious. "Panama Canal, Trust Buster and National Parks" says the NPS.

One of the guides I read advised us to skip this trail "unless you like looking up the presidents' noses". Then I thought my kids' sense of humor. Oh yeah, we're doing this!

We went to the Visitors Center, which had a neat museum. Their favorite was pressing the plunger to watch different explosions. Hard to believe with all the people working on it with 1930's methods, there were no fatalities.

They both completed their Junior Ranger books, to get badge #2. I like how Anya drew the mustache on Teddy.

And here are the future plans for Mt Rushmore.

Continuing on I-90, we came to the Badlands National Park. So called, because the land was bad for farming and travelling across. But not bad for the camera.

Our first stop was the Big Badlands Overlook. It kind of jumps on you. You're driving through flat farmland, pass the Entrance, and BAM! There are the Badlands.

Wind and rain eroded these sedimentary formations around 500,000 years ago. The erosion continues and they may be gone in another 500,000 years. Good thing we caught them before it's too late.

It was very very hot, but that didn't prevent the little ones from exploring. Here we're on the Door Trail, which makes a "door" into the Badlands.

Being good and orderly children, they stayed on the boardwalk. HEY! Where'd they go?

The adults stayed on the boardwalk, the kids went out to explore this alien landscape.

They had numbered markers for the trail. Looks like Grant found marker #4.

Go-Go Junior Ranger. Badge #3 earned.

It was hot. I'm sure we can find somewhere nearby with Free Ice Water. Any suggestions? :?

On the way back from Nebraska, we visited Devils Tower National Monument

Over 1200 feet tall, it sure stands out like a sore thumb in eastern Wyoming.

We had the kids do some initial research on Devils Tower by watching a movie. Everyone now: "Re, Mi, Do, Do, So!"

Devils Tower was an igneous lava intrusion, the softer sedimentary land eroded around it, exposing the tower. I like the Indian version better:

The kids enjoyed watching the prairie dogs pop up from their holes.

Okay, we saw the tower, now what? Get those Junior Ranger books and go on a hike! We followed the Tower Trail, which circumnavigated the tower.

Playing among the scree, the columns that fell off the tower.

The Nazgul are active

There was more to see than the single tower, with great views of the Belle Fourche valley. We call this the heart attack cliff, as Mommy thought they were standing on the edge.

Their grandmother made vests for their five Junior Ranger badges (including Yellowstone above).

Old Posted Oct 15, 2013, 11:49 PM
Old Fart Forumer

That was a fun tour. Yellowstone is an amazing place, so good to see you & your family got to enjoy such a memorable trip. I did a similar journey (solo) when I got out of the Navy (back in '75). I'd seen the world, so I wanted to see the USA. Great fun. Thanks for sharing your journey.

Retired, now Grandpa Daycare

Old Posted Oct 17, 2013, 3:05 AM

Great tour!

My family went to Yellowstone in about 1968 when we were kids. Imagine 2 adults and 3 misbehaving kids packed into a Ford Mustang on a 5,000 mile vacation that included Yellowstone. We stayed in some cabins next to Old Faithful.

What happened to the trees? is that fire damage?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography