HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Jan 6, 2007, 8:57 PM
resu deretsiger

Philadelphia: OVERBROOK FARMS (85 photos)

Overbrook Farms is on the border of West Philadelphia, just within city limits. Bounded by City Avenue (the township line dividing philadelphia and montgomery county), 58th Street, Woodbine Avenue, and 64th Street. This neighborhood is often confused with the neighboring Overbrook, but Overbrook Farms was actually founded in 1893, while Overbrook was founded in 1899. Our buddy Will Smith is from Overbrook, by the way. You could put the Fresh Prince of Bel Air house in the area and no one would even notice.

So hey, enjoy these photos of the underappreciated Philly hood of Overbrook Farms:

and had to throw this one in, taken a few minutes away down city ave

thank you for viewing

Last edited by tower; Jan 6, 2007 at 9:48 PM.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2007, 9:28 PM

Excellent thread, Tower! I'm not really familar with Overbrook Farms. It reminds me of other far out there neighborhoods in the city like East Oak Lane, Mount Airy, Wynnfield, etc. Very cool.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2007, 9:31 PM

excellent

I don't think people who aren't really familiar with Philadelphia realize just how many stone houses/structures exist in the city and it's suburbs...it's really beautiful...

could Philadelphia and it's suburbs have the largest collection of stone homes in the country? (does anyone know, or maybe someone would want to do a photo post with philadelphias stone structures)

Old Posted Jan 7, 2007, 12:15 AM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Quote:
Originally Posted by giantSwan View Post
I don't think people who aren't really familiar with Philadelphia realize just how many stone houses/structures exist in the city and it's suburbs...it's really beautiful...

could Philadelphia and it's suburbs have the largest collection of stone homes in the country? (does anyone know, or maybe someone would want to do a photo post with philadelphias stone structures)
I was going to mention that. That's some sweet stonework and I love houses built of rock. Is there any particular reason for the large number of rock buildings in that neighborhood? Here, you find a lot of rock houses and buildings simply because a lot of the ground is covered with rocks and you can either build walls, houses, or rock piles with those rocks if you intend on using that land for anything.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Jan 7, 2007, 2:01 AM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Well, the house sizes are pretty small and there isn't much variety in the architecture, but it seems like an alright neighborhood.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2007, 3:11 AM
Corporate logo

^ Ha ha, PA.

Yes, some substantial and palatial abodes abound in Overbrook Farms. Philadelphia; city of neighborhoods.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2007, 3:52 AM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Yay!

Old Posted Jan 7, 2007, 8:37 AM
Do you like... Huey Lewis

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauntedheadnc View Post
I was going to mention that. That's some sweet stonework and I love houses built of rock. Is there any particular reason for the large number of rock buildings in that neighborhood? Here, you find a lot of rock houses and buildings simply because a lot of the ground is covered with rocks and you can either build walls, houses, or rock piles with those rocks if you intend on using that land for anything.
Wherever you see gray stone with mica in this city, it's Wissahickon Schist, and we're awfully proud of showing it off. It's the bedrock for most areas of the city above the Fall Line.

Isn't this neighborhood where all the bougie black folk move these days?
"I'm exceedingly pro-growth, but I have to respectfully dissagree. Growth is not the holy grail, smart growth is. Uncontrolled, careless growth which ends up creating problems in the long run is called cancer." -Eigenwelt

Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2007, 8:51 AM

Wonderful photos of a great neighborhood! I love the stone houses around Philly.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2007, 4:59 PM
furified freestyle

litz, yep, and it still is actually. well, it and germantown. i dunno what will smith has left as investment in overbrook (e.g. his remaining family), but i know that a number of black professionals live there, as does samuel dalembert of the 76ers.

nice show tower. you got a lot of variety, what with all the stone homes and tire-swing and curvy walkways and such.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2007, 5:18 PM
Me?!?

Great pics! I've always enjoyed this area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by giantSwan View Post

Old Posted Jan 8, 2007, 4:20 PM

Great pics and nice neighborhood. I used to have some friends that lived in Overbrook in the old Italian section on 66 and haverford etc.
I believe this neighborhood is predominantly black and jewish, but I could be wrong. beautiful houses though.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2007, 5:09 PM
Old Fart Forumer

Love those old stone houses. let the big bad wolf huff and puff all he wants. he ain't blowin' those sumbitches down. great tour tower, thanks for showing me a section of Philly I didn't even know existed.

Retired, now Grandpa Daycare

Old Posted Jan 9, 2007, 1:30 AM
resu deretsiger

Well thanks y'all. I really would love going into homes like this but I think that's out of the question, for the most part. I haven't been on the inside of many large historic/stone/victorian/etc single family homes in Philadelphia, but the ones I've seen are spectacular.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2007, 4:56 PM
Pittsburgh rocks!!

Very impressive.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2009, 8:00 PM

Overbrook Farms

I grew up in Overbrook Farms! It was a wonderful neighborhood. Thanks for all the great photos, you even included "my house". How great to see it again.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos