HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 6:43 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I think it's reasonable for the HT to mention snow burden in a letter if they are worried about it, but it's something for an engineer to address. They don't need to speak in front of the committee for that.

The terrazzo entryway is sort of interesting but it is a very minor feature. Maybe it could be preserved. I got a kick out of the "cubist" line.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
The owner of the building is HRM; your're suggesting that HRM might do the logical and reasonable thing, beacause they have a good track record of doing so?
Ha! Did not know that HRM owned it. Thanks for clarifying. Still hope it does not give them a platform for HT rhetoric...

Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
The best thing that could happen to the burden on the city that is the Khyber is for the roof to fall in and take the rest of the building with it. I'm hoping this proposal get approved so that during demo of the TipTop site, an out-of control wrecking ball or a bulldozer driver gone postal will take the Khyber out too.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 7:49 PM

With all of the HT members inside , lol....... just a thought

Old Posted Apr 3, 2012, 2:07 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

This is being appealed by the owners of the Tramway Building next door. Apparently there is some sort of passage (at the back of the lot?) that would be obstructed by the development. There are some other arguments about the new building obstructing views of the Tramway Building but they seem weak since it's on a corner and built out to the street.

It sounds like regional council will vote first on the appeal, and then their decision can be appealed to the NS court of appeal.

It's too bad that something this small is so complicated.

Old Posted May 16, 2012, 3:18 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Council discussed this development tonight. My understanding is that they did not allow the appeal because the complaints don't constitute grounds for appeal under HbD. I'm not sure if at this point the neighbour can appeal to the NSUARB.

Both the Heritage Advisory Committee and the Design Review Committee support this project.

Old Posted May 16, 2012, 2:22 PM

I walked by the Tramway building on the weekend, I didn't see any windows facing south, 'save the view' to the extreme, I guess.

Old Posted May 16, 2012, 6:07 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

You can see the windows here: http://binged.it/KatbWY

It doesn't really make sense to prevent neighbours from building because one property owner/developer decided to put in windows near the property line. Does he expect that the CD Plus site should be limited to 2 floors permanently because he has a third storey window?

Another claim was that the new building would block visibility of the Tramway Building, but it's pretty clear that there are no interesting features to be blocked on that side.

Old Posted May 16, 2012, 7:00 PM

My agent is in that building as well as a casting director. Both of their south facing windows show a tarry roof and brick walls.

Priceless view. Almost better than the refinery.

Old Posted May 16, 2012, 9:50 PM
we built this city

I don't understand how these people can possibly have this much time on their hands to obstruct EVERY development.

Being against this one is actually pure insanity.

Old Posted May 23, 2012, 2:47 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

HRM council has approved the demolition of the CD Plus building and the owner said it will come down in 3 weeks if there are no appeals.

The ANS article mentions that the target is for the building to be completed "in 2013". Not sure if they plan to start the new building immediately once demolition is done or if they will wait to find one or more tenants. Owners like to demolish old buildings ASAP so that assessments and taxes go down -- hopefully this isn't a case where they'll sit on an empty lot while marketing the new building.

Like I said before, I think this one will complement Barrington Espace nicely. I think we could see huge changes around Sackville Street, because for one thing the Nova Centre will be on Sackville a couple of blocks up from Barrington. There's also the Discovery Centre, Skye, and a huge opportunity site between Hollis and Lower Water.

Old Posted May 23, 2012, 3:47 AM
BANNED

Another step in the right direction for Barrington Street -- but for now it's still all on paper. I want to see some action for at least one of these projects soon.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2012, 12:17 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
HRM council has approved the demolition of the CD Plus building and the owner said it will come down in 3 weeks if there are no appeals.
Have there been any appeals or signs of demolition.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2012, 12:58 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

While I was looking for more info on this proposal I found a site for an alternate design concept: http://www.architizer.com/en_us/proj...gton-st/31943/

I think the Lydon Lynch version is better overall, but I wish it didn't have the out of place Bishop's Landing-style bit on the left side.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2012, 3:44 PM

Hey all, first post on here.

Does anyone know if this was appealed? Based on what the developer said it should have been demolished before July...

Old Posted Oct 2, 2012, 3:55 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

If I remember correctly, the appeal failed and the plan is to begin demolition soon.

Apparently some work is being done on the Tramway Building next door as well. I am not sure if it is a full restoration or if they are just stabilizing the masonry exterior.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2012, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
If I remember correctly, the appeal failed and the plan is to begin demolition soon.

Apparently some work is being done on the Tramway Building next door as well. I am not sure if it is a full restoration or if they are just stabilizing the masonry exterior.
Great to hear. There is definitely some scaffolding over the front of the Tramway Building now so hopefully that is completed quickly!

Old Posted Oct 2, 2012, 5:13 PM

I recall reading the work on the Tramway building was to do some unplanned repairs, and that the CD plus builiding demolition permit was issued. I walked by on the weekend and interior demolition looked underway.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2012, 12:58 AM

Yep, the interior of the CDplus store was being ripped apart as I headed home from work tonight. The renderings of the new build are a little uninspiring, but will be better than what's there currently I suppose.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2012, 12:57 AM
積屍氣冥界波

Here it is:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth