HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Apr 27, 2019, 9:39 PM
Urbane observer

I biked over there yesterday and took a look. They've driven two squares of sheet piling, each about 20x20 feet, about 100 feet apart. Looks like they'd be along the east curbline of Wells-Wentworth. I presume it's so they can excavate storm sewer drop shafts. I think the promise was that this parcel would handle all its own stormwater runoff, so presumably the new shafts will connect to some filtration basin prior to discharge into the South Branch.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2019, 2:27 AM
Chicago

April 26, 2019

Old Posted May 5, 2019, 2:17 PM

May 4th:

Old Posted May 5, 2019, 4:39 PM

The Spire hole is contagious! Everybody panic :0

Old Posted May 5, 2019, 9:23 PM

^hahah!

Interested to find out what this is really for, though. Would be cool if it is indeed a storm sewer drop shaft as Mr. Downtown guessed

Old Posted May 5, 2019, 10:14 PM

May be work on the Wells-Wentworth connector project.

Old Posted May 5, 2019, 10:34 PM
Urbane observer

Yes, it's clearly part of Wells-Wentworth construction—but what, exactly? I'm thinking catch basins, maybe larger than usual or with sediment trapping capability.

Old Posted May 27, 2019, 5:16 PM

Snapped a couple shoddy pictures. A bit more equipment over there than I remembered

Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 9:43 PM
The City

Crains stating that the U of I system is getting $1.9 billion, and $500 MM is going towards the Discovery Partners Institute. Pritzker had a change of heart?

That article also stated that the DPI has raised $400 MM in private money, although no details were given.

This thing looks like it might actually happen. Related Cos must be happy

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Last edited by the urban politician; Jun 3, 2019 at 10:15 PM.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Crains stating that the U of I system is getting $1.9 billion, and $500 MM is going towards the Discovery Partners Institute. Pritzker had a change of heart?

That article also stated that the DPI has raised $400 MM in private money, although no details were given.

^I'm certainly happy. Something to get this project going.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 11:47 PM
TL;DR

Quote:

I read that article also, but it sounds like a lot of that money is going to other research facilities in the UI system and not necessarily the DPI.

Either way, given the money involved here I am expecting a top-flight architect and an award-worthy design. Too much to hope for Richard Rogers or SHoP? Maybe Norman Foster as a consolation prize after his excellent O’Hare design was not chosen?

Old Posted Jun 4, 2019, 12:56 PM
The City

^ That article specifically mentions $500 million for the DPI

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jun 4, 2019, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I read that article also, but it sounds like a lot of that money is going to other research facilities in the UI system and not necessarily the DPI.

Either way, given the money involved here I am expecting a top-flight architect and an award-worthy design. Too much to hope for Richard Rogers or SHoP? Maybe Norman Foster as a consolation prize after his excellent O’Hare design was not chosen?

Quote:
^ That article specifically mentions $500 million for the DPI
Quote:
The state budget, which Gov. J.B. Pritzker is expected to sign, allocates about $1.3 billion for spending on new buildings, renovations and other upgrades over multiple years, including re-appropriating $500 million previously directed at a new research network to be centered in Chicago at the yet-to-be-built Discovery Partners Institute... For the Discovery Partners Institute, and the Illinois Innovation Network that connects it to other university outposts, he said the system has raised more than $400 million of private money to be coupled with the $500 million in state funds. While Pritzker had suggested previously that the state funding might only be released once the private funds were raised, Killeen noted today the new budget legislation doesn’t specifically say the state funding must be matched by private dollars.
https://www.chicagobusiness.com/educ...illion-funding

Old Posted Jun 4, 2019, 2:31 PM

Forgive me for probably missing it somewhere earlier in the thread - are there any reasonably detailed schematics of the planned rail re-alignments, new roadways, etc? Will the Rock Island re-alignment also include any improvements to the level crossing with the SCAL?

Old Posted Jun 4, 2019, 5:18 PM
Urbane observer

I haven't yet seen anything at an engineering level of detail, but the most detailed site plans I've seen, in the PD, just show new diamonds at a different location. However, Related told me a few months ago that discussions with CN were ongoing, based on CN's subsequent announcement of single-tracking and realigning the SCAL. Because property—or at least easement—swaps are involved, it may be complicated by railroad lawyers.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2019, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
I haven't yet seen anything at an engineering level of detail, but the most detailed site plans I've seen, in the PD, just show new diamonds at a different location. However, Related told me a few months ago that discussions with CN were ongoing, based on CN's subsequent announcement of single-tracking and realigning the SCAL. Because property—or at least easement—swaps are involved, it may be complicated by railroad lawyers.

Thanks. A grade separation would be tremendously beneficial, it would address the last major chokepoint on the Rock Island (now that Englewood is done), and this bottleneck will become much more prominent if Metra manages to shift the SWS to LaSalle as per long-term dreams following the 75th street projects to be funded by the new capital bill. Unless, would rebuilding the Grand Crossing connection allow CN to significantly reduce traffic on the SCAL?

Old Posted Jun 7, 2019, 1:19 PM
Urbane observer

I can't think how Grand Crossing would help anything regarding CN freight.

CN might be happy enough to give up the SCAL if they could ever get the EJE double-tracked. Right now it seems like they route important stuff on the J, and slow manifest freights of mostly empties on the Iowa Division/SCAL.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2019, 3:53 PM

I don't have pics since I was driving and am a good citizen...

...but my back route home when LDS is jammed take's me down 16th to the Mariano's corner and then N. on Roosevelt.

There was a lot of construction equipment on site this week due West of that corner - where there's sort of a dirt ramp. They were all around the Metra tracks, but I couldn't tell if they were actually working on the tracks themselves or in the surrounding area.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2019, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Chicago View Post
I don't have pics since I was driving and am a good citizen...

...but my back route home when LDS is jammed take's me down 16th to the Mariano's corner and then N. on Roosevelt.

There was a lot of construction equipment on site this week due West of that corner - where there's sort of a dirt ramp. They were all around the Metra tracks, but I couldn't tell if they were actually working on the tracks themselves or in the surrounding area.
Standard for the area. No relation to 78

Old Posted Jun 12, 2019, 3:38 AM

waiting...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development