HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
A graduate student "dorm" is planned to be built at 384 N 1st Ave, taking over that parking lot from the YMCA, those two boarded up buildings, and up to that Bank of America drive-thru on Fillmore. This was confirmed at the last DVC meeting I attended, is supposed to be like 9-10 stories from what I remember with a starting date of later this year.
Did you make the Feb one? McDowell Road Revitalization and Regency Garage RFP was on the agenda...would like to know more if possible

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
Did you make the Feb one? McDowell Road Revitalization and Regency Garage RFP was on the agenda...would like to know more if possible
Sadly I missed this month’s

Old Posted Mar 1, 2019, 10:50 PM

ASU Residence Hall

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...557&j=86987331

Arizona State University is planning to build a new residence hall at its downtown Phoenix campus as enrollment growth continues to climb.

ASU President Michael Crow said he expects the 400-bed student housing facility to cost about $130 million to develop.

"We're going to be launching construction soon on a building just north of the YMCA, privately," Crow said. "There is no public money in any of these buildings, by the way, these are all driven by the university itself, or our partners."

ASU already owns that property, along First Avenue and south of Fillmore Street, which currently houses two buildings and a parking lot, Crow said.

"It will go either where the two buildings are or that parking lot," Crow said. "I don't think it's been decided which of those two. We own both of those spaces. There is a Circle K, then the apartment building being built just to the west of the Circle K, so it's just in that spot right there."

The residence hall will cater to entrepreneurial students, where they can live and grow their own companies, Crow said.

Expansion comes at a time when enrollment has surpassed 12,000 students at the downtown Phoenix campus. ASU's total enrollment for the fall 2018 semester was 71,828 students.

ASU's 1,238-bed Taylor Place residence hall off First Street — which is owned and operated by Capstone Development Partners — is at full capacity.

When ASU moved its Thunderbird global management school to its downtown campus from Glendale, many of those students who were living in residence halls in Glendale needed housing downtown. The university has accommodated those students by a providing a graduate level housing experience in two downtown apartment complexes, with 40 beds at Broadstone and 88 beds at The Muse.

Plans also call for leasing 200 beds at Roosevelt Point on Fourth Street this fall, just north of the downtown campus.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2019, 10:57 PM

Well that's good news! I think someone had said that the dorm was going to take up both spaces at once so maybe looking at some decent height here. Hopefully they choose the parking lot and can do some rehabbing of those two buildings south of the BofA ATM?

Last edited by ASU Diablo; Mar 1, 2019 at 11:27 PM.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2019, 11:13 PM

^ $130m is definitely good news!

This should help close the new skyline gap created by Link/Stewart

Old Posted Mar 2, 2019, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.RE View Post
https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...557&j=86987331

"It will go either where the two buildings are or that parking lot," Crow said. "I don't think it's been decided which of those two. We own both of those spaces. There is a Circle K, then the apartment building being built just to the west of the Circle K, so it's just in that spot right there."
Whichever they choose, it's going to take some work to rid that corner of some pretty shady goings-on. I've seen what looked like corpses covered in sheets, drug deals going down, and gaggles of sad-sack folks shambling like an episode of The Walking Dead. This can't come fast enough.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2019, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRay View Post
Whichever they choose, it's going to take some work to rid that corner of some pretty shady goings-on. I've seen what looked like corpses covered in sheets, drug deals going down, and gaggles of sad-sack folks shambling like an episode of The Walking Dead. This can't come fast enough.
They need to nuke that Circle K on the corner lol

Old Posted Mar 2, 2019, 10:04 PM

The problem isn't just the circle k, the Westward Ho probably contributes just as much.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2019, 11:00 PM
Skyriser

^ The Westward Ho is just poor old people, many of whom are disabled. In 2006 and for years after when I moved just west of there that Circle K was fairly dead on weekends except for random old folks getting coffee and what not. The worse was the drunks in the other nearby affordable complexes (both institutional and otherwise) but they were pretty much harmless and I rarely had issues with homeless.

The garbage that's piled recently has to be more related to the influx of homeless and the drug crisis that's swept the West Coast. The Circle K remains one of the few places in the area to buy cheap booze like 40s and Steele Reserve in the area and cheap gas, neither of which contribute to a high quality of life as downtown has filled up with residents from all ends of the economic spectrum.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2019, 11:19 PM

I use that circle k often (to fill water jugs at the outside vending machine a couple times a week) and there's a constant stream of motorized wheelchairs with people who appear unbathed for weeks on end. Guess what they're buying.... give up? also booze. They go right back to the Westward Ho.

I'm not saying the elderly are the problem, I'm saying they are also a contributing factor to the undesirability of that intersection.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2019, 3:15 PM

Downtown Phoenix real estate project developed by former governor to be razed

Whoah this came out of nowhere. I've always hated Mercado and glad it's getting razed. The BioMed Campus continues to grow and move south on 7th St

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...eloped-by.html

Quote:
By 1999, Arizona State University bought the shopping center at Seventh and Van Buren streets for $9 million and has used it to house some classrooms as it expanded its downtown Phoenix campus.

As the Phoenix Biomedical Campus across the street — at the southwest corner of Seventh and Van Buren — has continued to grow, the master plan calls for eventually taking over the Mercado property, said Rick Naimark, associate vice president for program development planning for ASU.

By 2024, the property's ownership will transfer to the city of Phoenix, said Christine Mackay, economic development director for the city.

"In the future, we'll be working to redevelop all that property as much more dense," she said. "We're talking seven, maybe eight, years from now.

While the property functions well for ASU today, the Phoenix Biomedical Campus will be completely built out by then, she said.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2019, 5:31 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Whoah this came out of nowhere. I've always hated Mercado and glad it's getting razed. The BioMed Campus continues to grow and move south on 7th St

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...eloped-by.html
That's great news! I walk through there occasionally and it is such a dead zone, it's disgusting. Let's hope the city does it right and doesn't squander the opportunity.

Edit: Here's the full article:

Quote:
Once a dream project of former Arizona Gov. Fife Symington, the Mercado will eventually be razed to pave the way for future development.

Built by Mercado Developers — a partnership of Symington and the for-profit division of Chicanos Por La Causa — the 125,000-square-foot center opened in December 1989 as a Mexican-style shopping plaza that failed to attract and maintain tenants.

By 1999, Arizona State University bought the shopping center at Seventh and Van Buren streets for $9 million and has used it to house some classrooms as it expanded its downtown Phoenix campus.

As the Phoenix Biomedical Campus across the street — at the southwest corner of Seventh and Van Buren — has continued to grow, the master plan calls for eventually taking over the Mercado property, said Rick Naimark, associate vice president for program development planning for ASU.

By 2024, the property's ownership will transfer to the city of Phoenix, said Christine Mackay, economic development director for the city.

"In the future, we'll be working to redevelop all that property as much more dense," she said. "We're talking seven, maybe eight, years from now."

While the property functions well for ASU today, the Phoenix Biomedical Campus will be completely built out by then, she said.

Meanwhile, plans are in the works for development of a 7-acre parcel on the north side of the 30-acre biomedical campus, where Baltimore-based Wexford Science & Technology LLC is building a $77 million research center that will be anchored by ASU.

The 30-acre Phoenix Biomedical Campus has the capacity for 6 million square feet. So far, 1.6 million square feet have been built — housing Northern Arizona University, University of Arizona's medical school and the Translational Genomics Research Institute.

A Tripp-Umbach study released in 2014 showed the economic impact of the Phoenix Biomedical Campus was $1.3 billion, while UA's medical school had a $961.6 million impact.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2019, 5:56 PM

https://twitter.com/PHXEconDev/statu...963148800?s=19

Looks like they had the groundbreaking for the Wexford building this morning.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2019, 4:09 PM

The ASU Downtown Campus update shared w/ DVC. As we know, the tower near YMCA is displayed along w/ some other information.

on Slide 17, I see a new rendering I haven't seen before of the upcoming ASU Thunderbird building (front entrance).

https://downtownvoices.us2.list-mana...2&e=256e4b558a

Old Posted Mar 18, 2019, 4:15 PM
Modulator

Quote:
The ASU Downtown Campus update shared w/ DVC. As we know, the tower near YMCA is displayed along w/ some other information.

on Slide 17, I see a new rendering I haven't seen before of the upcoming ASU Thunderbird building (front entrance).

https://downtownvoices.us2.list-mana...2&e=256e4b558a
Looks like an entirely new design. I think I like the first proposal better. Also seems to be 1 floor shorter.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2019, 7:16 PM

Drove by the YMCA the other day and noticed crews up on the roof of the two empty buildings north of it (by BofA ATM). Anyone know what type of work is going on? Are they doing abatement work prior to demo? Did ASU ever provide an update as to which lot the new student tower would go in?

Old Posted Mar 27, 2019, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Drove by the YMCA the other day and noticed crews up on the roof of the two empty buildings north of it (by BofA ATM). Anyone know what type of work is going on? Are they doing abatement work prior to demo? Did ASU ever provide an update as to which lot the new student tower would go in?
Thats where the ASU studen housing is supposed to go.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2019, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Thats where the ASU studen housing is supposed to go.
Not necessarily. Michael Crow mentioned that either the parking lot OR the lot where the two buildings currently reside is where the housing would go. He said ASU didn’t know which one it would be built on yet...

Old Posted Mar 27, 2019, 9:16 PM

yes, they have been doing abatement for some time now, the buildings are coming down. Currently they are working on asbestos.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2019, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
yes, they have been doing abatement for some time now, the buildings are coming down. Currently they are working on asbestos.
Got it. Thanks!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest