HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Oct 15, 2021, 8:35 PM

From Architectural Digest:

Rita Hayworth’s Former English Tudor Manor Is Listed for $4 Million

A small piece of Hollywood history is now for sale in the form of a four-bedroom, four-bathroom, Tudor-style dwelling in Los Angeles. The house once belonged to Rita Hayworth, the 20th-century actor famous for starring in films like Gilda and You Were Never Lovelier, and is on the market for the first time in 50 years, according to the listing. It is priced at $3.95 million.

[...]

Link: https://www.architecturaldigest.com/...RMbOXSnZR5GV1c

Video Link

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Oct 15, 2021, 10:32 PM
Pay it Forward

She was gorgeous!

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."-Robert Frost

Old Posted Oct 22, 2021, 3:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimondpark View Post
She was gorgeous!
She was!

I can't stand THIS lady, because honestly, I think she sings like her pussy hurts.

Fron Insider:

Adele said she moved to Los Angeles because she could never afford the same kind of house in London

Monica Humphries
Oct 10, 2021, 10:28 AM

While Adele relocated from London to Los Angeles years ago, she opened up in a recent interview with British Vogue that a main motivator for the move was pricey real estate.

In Adele's interview with Giles Hattersley for the British and US Vogue November 2021 issues, the singer said one of the key reasons she, her ex-husband Simon Konecki, and their 9-year-old Angelo, relocated was to improve their quality of life.

In London, she said that most of her time was "in a car or inside a building" and that she wanted to be in a place where there was "fresh air and somewhere I could see the sky."

The singer landed in LA, adding that "the kind of house I have in LA I could never afford in London. Ever."

But data on housing prices suggests the cost of homes is actually higher in LA than in London. According to data from the Office for National Statistics cited by the Guardian, the average house price in London reached £514,000, or about $701,509 — the highest it's ever been — last November. Meanwhile, the median home price in Los Angeles County was $775,000 this May, according to the Los Angeles Times, which cited numbers from the data firm DQNews.

Hattersley questioned Adele's statement, but Adele stood by it. "No, I looked at houses. It's like hundreds of millions of pounds. I don't have that much money at all. I'd throw up," she said.

Adele owns three mansions next door to one another in LA. The homes have a British cottage vibe and together cost about $30 million, according to The New York Post.

In 2016, she purchased her first LA home for $9.5 million, Insider previously reported. Since then, she's purchased two more homes, each costing an estimated $10 million. Konecki lives in one of the homes, so the family could stay together for their son Angelo after their divorce in 2019, Adele said in the interview.

While Adele doesn't own a sprawling, three-house compound in London, she does have real estate in the city that is "very European, " she told British Vogue.

Link: https://www.insider.com/adele-moved-...prices-2021-10

One of her houses, per a link in the article:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/9...0533703_zpid/?

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Oct 22, 2021, 2:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
I can't stand THIS lady, because honestly, I think she sings like her pussy hurts.
Yeah, her songs are harsh and don't have much personality.

But staying sort-of on topic, my former coworker built Richard Simmons' famous mailbox:
https://i0.wp.com/www.iamnotastalker...se-1200527.jpg

Old Posted Oct 22, 2021, 2:23 PM

Quote:
The singer landed in LA, adding that "the kind of house I have in LA I could never afford in London. Ever."

But data on housing prices suggests the cost of homes is actually higher in LA than in London.
LA has more expensive real estate, and the high end market is more developed, but if you want to buy some acreage it's probably cheaper here, so she's not entirely wrong. I doubt you can even get several acres of privacy in a prime location in London, and certainly not at that price.

As for the house itself, it looks like it got hit with the ugly stick, but that backyard, oh man, what a beauty. You can't get that in London, at any price.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2021, 2:27 PM
All man. Half nuts.

only on SSP could a thread evolve from the status of your city's real estate market to the singing abilities of Rita Hayworth's genitalia.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2021, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boisebro View Post
only on SSP could a thread evolve from the status of your city's real estate market to the singing abilities of Rita Hayworth's genitalia.

Hehe no, I'm sure you know I'm talking about Adele. I can't stand her music, nor her whiny/harpy I'm-in-emotional-pain singing voice. Again, she sings like her pussy hurts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
Yeah, her songs are harsh and don't have much personality.
Thank you. I haven't listened to all of her songs, but the few ones I do know of seem to be all about her not being able to get over past relationships. And there was that one year where it seemed you couldn't escape that very psychopathic stalker "Hello" song.

Quote:
But staying sort-of on topic, my former coworker built Richard Simmons' famous mailbox:
https://i0.wp.com/www.iamnotastalker...se-1200527.jpg
Oh wow! I actually haven't heard of Richard Simmons' mailbox.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Oct 22, 2021, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Hehe no, I'm sure you know I'm talking about Adele. I can't stand her music, nor her whiny/harpy I'm-in-emotional-pain singing voice. Again, she sings like her pussy hurts.

Thank you. I haven't listened to all of her songs, but the few ones I do know of seem to be all about her not being able to get over past relationships. And there was that one year where it seemed you couldn't escape that very psychopathic stalker "Hello" song.

Oh wow! I actually haven't heard of Richard Simmons' mailbox.

A buddy if mine worked on Adele’s latest video shot here in Quebec a month ago. She is a piece of work according to his description of what happened. She ordered the crew to not look at at her, she had something like 4 bodyguards. He’d never encountered anything like that on a production before. Sort of mirrors her painful music.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2021, 9:08 PM

I bought a small house in Cincinnati this week. It's a 2-bed/1-bath that listed for $199k. I got it for $225k. My payments are going to be about $1,200, so about the price of a lot of nicer 2-bed apartments in the area. I already own other stuff in Cincinnati (in Clifton Heights and the West End) but I'm going to move into this house.

Here it is:

The woman who owned it put a lot of money into the place. It looks great.

It has a nice back yard:

And the sale includes an extra lot in the rear, which is oddly offset. I haven't looked into the history of the area yet so I don't know how this came about. I doubt that current zoning will allow a second house to be built in the rear section but it might be possible in the future, which would be a huge value.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2021, 9:13 PM

Nice! I also like that it's on a knoll.

Congrats!

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Oct 23, 2021, 2:50 AM

Congrats on the new home! I went to Cincinnati last year and fell in love. So much good food and the architecture is fabulous. If only I could get permanent telework and Cincinnati wasn't in a red state, then I'd strongly consider it.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2021, 3:25 AM
Selfie-stick vendor

Beautiful

Old Posted Oct 23, 2021, 3:53 AM
Pay it Forward

Quote:
I bought a small house in Cincinnati this week. It's a 2-bed/1-bath that listed for $199k. I got it for $225k. My payments are going to be about $1,200, so about the price of a lot of nicer 2-bed apartments in the area. I already own other stuff in Cincinnati (in Clifton Heights and the West End) but I'm going to move into this house.

Here it is:

The woman who owned it put a lot of money into the place. It looks great.

It has a nice back yard:

And the sale includes an extra lot in the rear, which is oddly offset. I haven't looked into the history of the area yet so I don't know how this came about. I doubt that current zoning will allow a second house to be built in the rear section but it might be possible in the future, which would be a huge value.
That's a lovely home with lots of character. Congratulations!

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."-Robert Frost

Old Posted Oct 23, 2021, 3:58 AM

From NPR:

The house from the movie 'A Nightmare on Elm Street' is up for sale

A Los Angeles home featured in Wes Craven's 1984 A Nightmare on Elm Street is for sale for $3.5 million.
Anthony Barcelo

For $3.5 million, you can roam the halls of the Los Angeles house where Freddie Krueger murdered his victims. You have until Halloween to make an offer.

The 3-bedroom, 3 1/2-bath, 2-story home located at 1428 N. Genesee Ave. went live on Wednesday and boasts a retro-modern kitchen, a grand primary suite and multiple spaces to work from home (which we're sure Freddy Kreuger appreciated).

That $3.5 million will also get you a guest house with its own patio, kitchen and bathroom.

Heather T. Roy and Learka Bosnak hold the listing under Douglas Elliman, a real estate company.

"Cinephiles will immediately recognize Wes Craven's iconic Elm Street facade," the listing says.

The home's facade first appeared in Wes Craven's 1984 A Nightmare on Elm Street and later in its sequel, A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge.

"The whole neighborhood gets the tour bus treatment. People always get tickled when they see it," Roy told the Los Angeles Times.

The movies center around Freddy Krueger, the spirit of a serial killer who was burned alive by his victims' parents. As a spirit, Krueger visits victims in their dreams and murders them with a glove of razors, killing them in real life as well.

The original film spurred the franchise and led to eight sequels that grossed a total of $370 million and even launched Johnny Depp's career.

The iconic house isn't just a place of horror. It's also the location of Bo Burnham: Inside, a solo musical comedy special shot and produced during the height of the pandemic, and a possible Grammy contender.

Though it's been decades since A Nightmare on Elm Street first came out, the legendary actor who played Freddy Kreuger, Robert Englund, will join season 4 of Netflix's sci-fi drama Stranger Things as a disturbed man in a psychiatric hospital for a gruesome murder.

For those who want to call the space their home, an open house will take place on Sunday.

Tien Le is an intern on NPR's News Desk.

Link: https://www.npr.org/2021/10/22/10482...is-up-for-sale

Here's the listing on elliman.com: https://www.elliman.com/california/s...geles-ca-90046

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Oct 23, 2021, 3:11 PM

[QUOTE=jmecklenborg;9431542]I bought a small house in Cincinnati this week. It's a 2-bed/1-bath that listed for $199k. I got it for $225k.

Beautiful! Congratulations!

Old Posted Oct 25, 2021, 5:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitopiaaa View Post
Congrats on the new home! I went to Cincinnati last year and fell in love. So much good food and the architecture is fabulous.
It has really turned around since about 2015. A lot of neighborhoods are seeing new life. Almost nothing is being torn down anymore - the rehabbers are fixing up just about any vacant building since it's cheaper to rehab than to do new construction right now.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2021, 10:53 AM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Quote:
Maybe this will help. You can listen while you browse Zillow:

Video Link

Video Link

Video Link

Quote:
From NPR:

The house from the movie 'A Nightmare on Elm Street' is up for sale
Discussion question 1: Why do victims in horror movies always seems to live in houses much nicer than the houses normal people live in? Normal people live in charmless apartment complexes, vinyl-sided suburban crap, brick ranchers, or trailers, whereas everyone getting slaughtered in a slasher movie lives (lived) in the historic district, usually in something charming from the 1920's. What gives?

Discussion question 2: Exactly how haunted would a house have to be in order to get you to move out? Houses in horror movies always seem to want to be left alone, like the average person about two hours into hosting a family holiday gathering, and like the average person, they're willing to use violence to get their alone time. I've only ever seen a handful of movies where the characters are too poor to leave, and having been that poor I can relate. Personally, if the house is nice enough and big enough and it's not actively trying to kill me, I can ignore a lot... I can just arrange not to be in the living room at midnight when the screaming severed head falls down the chimney every night. I'm perfectly happy to go watch TV in the bedroom starting at 11:30.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Oct 25, 2021, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauntedheadnc View Post
Discussion question 2: Exactly how haunted would a house have to be in order to get you to move out? Houses in horror movies always seem to want to be left alone, like the average person about two hours into hosting a family holiday gathering, and like the average person, they're willing to use violence to get their alone time. I've only ever seen a handful of movies where the characters are too poor to leave, and having been that poor I can relate. Personally, if the house is nice enough and big enough and it's not actively trying to kill me, I can ignore a lot... I can just arrange not to be in the living room at midnight when the screaming severed head falls down the chimney every night. I'm perfectly happy to go watch TV in the bedroom starting at 11:30.
Apparently most of the houses in New Orleans are haunted, and there is ghost etiquette: you're not supposed to acknowledge the ghost in your haunted house while you're home.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2021, 3:44 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Discussion question 1: Why do victims in horror movies always seems to live in houses much nicer than the houses normal people live in?
there are two chicago-set films of the genre that buck the "fancy house" horror film trope:

Candyman was set in and around one of the nation's most notorious housing projects, Cabrini Green.

Stir of Echoes featured a regular old lower middle class family living in a (haunted) regular old chicago flat building in the Avondale neighborhood.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2021, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Maybe this will help. You can listen while you browse Zillow:
I enjoyed the "Hello" parody the most.

Quote:
Discussion question 1: Why do victims in horror movies always seems to live in houses much nicer than the houses normal people live in? Normal people live in charmless apartment complexes, vinyl-sided suburban crap, brick ranchers, or trailers, whereas everyone getting slaughtered in a slasher movie lives (lived) in the historic district, usually in something charming from the 1920's. What gives?
I don't get it either. The house I grew up in didn't look like that either, so, as a kid, watching movies, I assumed the rest of the US had houses that looked like that. US movie houses all have a similar look, huh? Remember the "Risky Business House?" 1258 Linden Avenue in Highland Park, IL. And Ferris Bueller's house is actually in Long Beach, CA (4160 Country Club Drive).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
there are two chicago-set films of the genre that buck the "fancy house" horror film trope:

Candyman was set in and around one of the nation's most notorious housing projects, Cabrini Green.

Stir of Echoes featured a regular old lower middle class family living in a (haunted) regular old chicago flat building in the Avondale neighborhood.
Ah yes, "Candyman." That movie brings back memories...

~ Charles Bukowski

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions