HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Jul 23, 2012, 3:09 AM

There was a time when Granville Street was well known for it's lights and neon at night. Well before Las Vegas and Times Square. I agree, would be nice to bring some vibrancy back to the city core. Unfortunately I just always feel now that downtown when the clock strikes 10pm, everything starts to shut down and close up for the night.

Makes me feel like I'm in Detroit.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2012, 3:23 AM

I live downtown, right beside Granville, and have no idea what you're talking about. Granville is a little too alive at night sometimes. As for lights, ummm... there's plenty of neon, plus the street light poles.

Gastown and Yaletown both have lots of people, as do Robson, Denman, and Davie.

There could be more lights and more people but to say that downtown is dead and comparable to Detroit, really?

Don't you live in Surrey or something?

Last edited by dreambrother808; Jul 23, 2012 at 5:57 AM.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2012, 4:51 AM

its pretty vibrant when i am down there - as for more screens and doodads do people really watch them? the screen on futureshop never seems to have a captive audience even when they show interesting little shorts

Old Posted Jul 23, 2012, 6:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreambrother808 View Post
I live downtown, right beside Granville, and have no idea what you're talking about. Granville is a little too alive at night sometimes. As for lights, ummm... there's plenty of neon, plus the street light poles.

There could be more lights and more people but to say that downtown is dead and comparable to Detroit, really?

I was gonna say the same thing. I live just off of Granville and it is busy and loud most nights of the week.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2012, 6:32 AM
Can I has a tunnel?

Quote:

I've got to say I was hugely disappointed by the street lights on Granville after all the hype they got before their installation. They may as well have just put florescent tubes in a clear tube and called it quits.

They really could have done something more interesting with some coloured cold cathode tubes or RGB LEDs.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2012, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Mackinnon View Post
I've got to say I was hugely disappointed by the street lights on Granville after all the hype they got before their installation. They may as well have just put florescent tubes in a clear tube and called it quits.

They really could have done something more interesting with some coloured cold cathode tubes or RGB LEDs.

That's for sure. Even in just the pictures I see of them, they look, as you say like over-hyped flourescent tubing.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2012, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Mackinnon View Post

Same here, I originally thought they were able to change colours at least. The tubes at the intersection of Gaglardi Way and Lougheed even are able to change colours and are more interesting than those on Granville!

Would be nice to have had themed displays, red and green during the Christmas season, red and white on Canada Day, blue on hockey nights, etc...

As for screens, yes, one is not expected to stand and watch them like a regular tv, hence what is displayed on them is usually only a few seconds long, but they add light, colour and animation to an entertainment / commercial district.

And considering how grey Vancouver usually is, It has always surprised me that we don't have more lighting in this city.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2012, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post

As for screens, yes, one is not expected to stand and watch them like a regular tv, hence what is displayed on them is usually only a few seconds long, but they add light, colour and animation to an entertainment / commercial district.

And considering how grey Vancouver usually is, It has always surprised me that we don't have more lighting in this city.

Ain't THAT the truth !!!!!

Old Posted Jul 23, 2012, 8:54 PM

Good comments above. I completely agree that there could be more neon lights, colors, screens and led tickers around Granville.

Based on what I can see from my window, the street is rather busy in the weekday evenings and very busy on weekends. More everything would add to the "entertainment atmosphere" around Granville.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2012, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hed Kandi View Post
Nordstrom Vancouver to be Largest in Canada!

NORDSTROM Secures Leases for 4 Canadian Stores

Retail Insider was just informed that Nordstrom has secured leases for 4 Canadian stores. These locations will include:

1. Pacific Centre in Vancouver, British Columbia - 225,000 square feet
2. Chinook Centre in Calgary, Alberta - 173,000 square feet
3. Rideau Centre in Ottawa, Ontario - ~200,000 square feet and
4. Sherway Gardens in Toronto, Ontario - 160,000 square feet.

The first three locations are currently occupied by Sears stores, while the Sherway Gardens store will be a new-build Nordstrom location, corresponding with an expansion of the shopping centre. The 225,000 sq ft Sears store at Sherway will continue to operate. Nordstrom's board of directors is expected to approve these leases by early next week.
The numbers are off for almost all the locations but yes as it stands now Vancouver will be getting Canada's largest Nordstrom store, by a large margin.

It just wont be the first...

Also that Bloomingdales thing is pretty dead in the water from what I've heard.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2012, 9:13 PM

can we expect a 2015 opening for nordstrom?

Old Posted Jul 23, 2012, 9:18 PM

^Ya late 2015

Old Posted Jul 23, 2012, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
^Ya late 2015
Wow, 3 years from the closing of the existing store? I appreciate that there's a lot of work to be done, but damn that's a long time!

Old Posted Jul 23, 2012, 9:41 PM

when they shut down eatons and reopened it with small changes it was about 2 years

Old Posted Jul 23, 2012, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanmaccdn View Post
yeh lets put a discount version of our store in the same building as our flagship.

try again.
Yeah, they are co-locating now.

Downtown Seattle:
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...romrack12.html

Seattle Northgate:
http://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/n...northgate.html

Old Posted Jul 24, 2012, 4:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Why the surprise? City Hall's hatred for such things is quite well-known.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2012, 7:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastVanMark View Post
Why the surprise? City Hall's hatred for such things is quite well-known.

Many years ago, when I contacted City Hall about the dim lighting behind the Art Gallery, someone told me (you won't believe this) ... that it was kept that way because the city didn't want to add "too much sparkle...."

Too much sparkle? In a dark, rainy city??? Duuh. Eeek. Aak. What planet are these guys from?

Old Posted Jul 24, 2012, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
They can co-locate in the US all they want.... they have an established customer (higher end) for their main store and a budget consumer for their "rack" location. Both customers know where to go and stay with in that.

When you move a brand (especially higher end like Nordy's) you tend to not initially offer a discount banner ect.... as you introduce yourself to the locals.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2012, 5:59 PM

You didn't suggest that the geographic/market difference in your previous response...

Old Posted Jul 24, 2012, 6:52 PM

Quote:

Living in Surrey doesn't make a difference. I spend a lot of time downtown and have a lot of associates and friends that live right on Granville and in many other areas of Vancouver, many of which are worldly aka have lived in many other cities world wide to compare. The definition of night life though isn't 100 people walking up and down the street at midnight. The definition of night life is having places to go and things to do at night in an area.

You compare Vancouver to many other cities world wide of similar population, and the list is quite scarce. That's just the truth. Is there a night life? Sure.

And regarding the neon, like I said, you look at the history and it was more in the past. If you think today has a lot, then you are unfortunately again mistaken.

Like I said though, does it have a night life? Sure. Is it amazing though? Not a chance. Not compared to the world and even cities with less population than Vancouver. It could do better. Much better.

As for calling it Detroit, I took a liberty there. I agree it isn't that bad, but it isn't Cabo San Lucas, Moscow, Dublin, Amsterdam, Ibiza, Rio De Jeneiro, Las Vegas, Sao Paulo, Montreal, Tel Aviv, Auckland, Baku, Cape Town, La Paz, Dubai, Belgrade, the list goes on. And I haven't even included the big hitters like London, New York, Moscow, etc.

Regardless, agree to disagree. I won't common further on this specific topic since the actual thread is about the Sears Pacific Center and I don't want to get too off topic.

Last edited by GMasterAres; Jul 24, 2012 at 7:10 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver