HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Sep 7, 2011, 1:33 AM
Salty Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waye Mason View Post
I'm a policy wonk, that is what I am. So while I am arguing one point, it doesn't mean I am sold on it. What struck me when looking at the max bonus heights is dropping from 215 to 70 feet from the Y to the CBC property seems out of hand.

I like the massing I see in the renderings looks un-intimidating, and the shadows cast in the morning will be largely onto Sackville and the roof of the Tara building next door, so that is not an issue.

My real concern was raised in another thread, I think Trillium, which is that we tend to have great renderings and big promises and then boring and cheap looking finishes in the end. I think a lot of the design guidance in HRMbD is actually very attractive, but I will believe it when I see it, and touch it, in final.

The new Y building could be really nice, but it could just end up being boring and cheap looking, depending on finish.

Even Falkland/Gottingen looked okay in the renderings, and it has to be one of the ugliest things in the city.
HRMxD doesn't go far enough to ensure a good design will be forthcoming. All of the policies can be followed and the result can still be an ugly building. The Paramount is an example of a cheap ugly building that would fit HRMxD policies nicely. It steps back from the street and the materials just pass inspection. I don't think anyone would suggest that the Paramount is an acceptable design fronting on The Public Gardens yet there is no mechanism to address cheap ugly buildings. HRMxD sold out when they capped the height in the Cogswell St. Interchange area to 20+/- storeys. This area clearly should have been rampart maximum. I think this area could have been left out of the plan for now instead of selling it short to get the plan passed.

Last edited by Empire; Sep 7, 2011 at 2:00 AM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth