HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 16, 2021, 6:01 PM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
I was using my bike right up until early December, then started again in early March. The only reason I don't cycle in deep winter is because I can't be bothered getting studded tires or dealing with the extra maintenance required because of all the road salt. In a city with relatively mild and dry winters like Toronto, the only thing stopping people from cycling more often in the winter is the lack of decent all-season infrastructure.

It's a bit harder with the snow in Montreal for sure. In Toronto salt is still an issue, and as a result I only use my personal bike for similar timeframes. During winter I use bikeshare to get around as the network is now comprehensive enough that I can get pretty much anywhere I need to be. Some of my friends have a separate beater bike for winter but I find the $100 annually for bikeshare more than worth it and will use it occasionally in the summer too. Didn't use it much this winter with the lack of commuting, though... Not sure if Mtls is still shut down for the winter, I recall it used to be.

As an aside I've definitely noticed an uptick in winter cyclists over the past couple years. And cycling overall, of course.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2021, 6:56 PM

only use the fat bike in the winter. Basic maintenance of wiping it down after each ride. Lubing the chain every couple of rides. Pretty much do that with the gravel bike as well. MTB gets cleaned when I use it( which is not that much right now as it needs parts that I can't get). Road bike gets a major service at the start of the year and a check over before a major event.

Snow here is pretty good when its cold but the snow melt they use on some paths and roads is pretty nasty. That's why it gets a wipe down right after. If I only stay on the single track and away from MUPs I can be pretty clean after.

God forbid I need a part though. Road Bike goes in next week and the shop has had parts set aside for 2 months now. (that's also how long booking orders are taking). FB will go in June for a warranty service.

Anyway its a beautiful low wind day and I should be out riding right now but I have a meeting in about 2 minets.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2021, 8:15 PM
Still optimistic

I thought that Winter riding would be a whole thing. But this was my third winter using it in Ottawa as my main driver for my local needs, and it's been really... normal.

Other than one winter tire and one studded tire, I haven't had to get more equipment. I use my normal, run-of-the-mill cheap ebike, I dress in the clothes I'd otherwise be walking in, and I give my bike a wipe-down maybe once in the season. 95% of the time, riding on the quiet streets feels easier and safer than navigating the sidewalks. It's not all great, but I find myself taking the same precautions riding as I do when walking in winter: steady as she goes, look out for ice, dress sensibly.

It's been a bit of a revelation how normal it is. I'd encourage anyone with a regular bike and $120 to spend on a pair of winter tires to give it a go for a handful of little trips to the corner store or the library.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2021, 8:26 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
As an aside I've definitely noticed an uptick in winter cyclists over the past couple years. And cycling overall, of course.
Any time I go past a bike shop or bike repair business they're always busy with a line of people outside. Visually it feels like more people are cycling than ever. Have enjoyed my time using bikeshare thus far.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2021, 8:25 AM
perhaps . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshal View Post
The reason I stopped road riding is that no matter what is right and wrong, two abreast, single file, whatever, cyclists are not protected by being on the right side of the law. I now know of five individuals who have been killed by cars overtaking them. Two personal friends: one high school friend out in the country near North Bay, and one on a cycling trip near Estevan Sask.. The others were acquaintances, including two north of Pemberton here in BC, and one at the base of Burnaby mountain on his way up to Simon Fraser.

I ride mountain trails now, and on the street I keep to my mountain bike on which I can jump curbs to avoid the cars and buses. I also ride in a manner that preserves my odds by assuming all drivers are idiots. I couldn't care less if I'm in the right: I stay safe and bitch about it later.
Is this too dark for you guys?

I am not surprised at the zero comments, as most of the roadies I know would rather complain about drivers and laws than talk about how to keep themselves safe.
[I rode my road bike for decades and love doing so even now: city streets, country roads, highways. Still love it.]

Old Posted Apr 18, 2021, 9:03 AM

No, I do the same for the most part. I try to avoid taking my bike out on the road during the afternoon rush hour, and my main bike is a gravel bike now to give me a little more flexibility in picking my path. If I am going to be in shared traffic, Ive also started sticking to the actual road rather than the fake bike lanes after a series of close calls.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2021, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Is this too dark for you guys?

I am not surprised at the zero comments, as most of the roadies I know would rather complain about drivers and laws than talk about how to keep themselves safe.
[I rode my road bike for decades and love doing so even now: city streets, country roads, highways. Still love it.]
I didn't know you were fishing for responses as I didn't really see anything to respond to in your original response. You described your experience and made a point about defensive riding which I doubt anyone would disagree with. I've been sticking mostly to gravel lately as well and others on here have said the same, at least in part because there are fewer cars to deal with.

What's with the dig at roadies?

Old Posted Apr 18, 2021, 2:08 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Defensive riding is something you can just do and don't need to complain about it or collaborate with others. When it comes to things outside of one's direct control such as the cultural or legal environment, that's where people reach out to one another for both moral support and strategies that can help with navigating the perils. Or even work together in pushing for change.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2021, 5:20 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
I'm sure any suggestions for how to stay safe would be more than welcome.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 6:46 AM
perhaps . . .

Staying safe with cars is a matter of luck, good and bad. We get hit mostly from driver inattention. I prefer minimizing chances: staying off certain roads, using sidewalks where pedestrians are scarce, even riding on shoulders facing traffic. But, I am on a mountain bike, so bumpiness and jumping up/down obstacles is just a fun challenge that makes the ride and hones the skill set. I also stick to bike lanes (the more separated the better), and, off course, trails where it is I who become my biggest danger. I think gravel bikes offer some of the range needed to ride 'urban off-road' in the city. If its not fun, who's going to do it. I feel for those wanting to ride a beautiful road bike at speed. Head on a swivel + good luck is about all you have.

And, of course good laws and educating drivers is very important. I promote these things through Cycling BC, but I will never rely on them.

[Note: I do ride such that I insist that if there is any involvement with pedestrians or cyclists going the 'right' way, I yield: either stopping or moving fully clear of them. No-one should have to move to accommodate me breaking the rules or laws as I keep myself in one piece. I am also aware that this is not a solution - if everyone rode like I do, chaos would result.]

Ride hard. Stay safe.

Last edited by Marshal; Apr 19, 2021 at 7:15 PM.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylmer View Post
I thought that Winter riding would be a whole thing. But this was my third winter using it in Ottawa as my main driver for my local needs, and it's been really... normal.

Other than one winter tire and one studded tire, I haven't had to get more equipment. I use my normal, run-of-the-mill cheap ebike, I dress in the clothes I'd otherwise be walking in, and I give my bike a wipe-down maybe once in the season. 95% of the time, riding on the quiet streets feels easier and safer than navigating the sidewalks. It's not all great, but I find myself taking the same precautions riding as I do when walking in winter: steady as she goes, look out for ice, dress sensibly.

It's been a bit of a revelation how normal it is. I'd encourage anyone with a regular bike and $120 to spend on a pair of winter tires to give it a go for a handful of little trips to the corner store or the library.
MEC here has all there winter tires( Studs) available now.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 9:39 PM

Great weekend for riding here. trails and gravel roads are dry.

Got my first 100 kms in for the year. Mixed surface 45% pure gravel, 40% road and sealed road. the rest on MUP and single track. No issues with cars. everyone gave us a lot of room. With the wider tires on my current ride I can stay quite far over to the edge.

Road bike comes out this week so it should be interesting to do a pure road ride this year.

Some riders posed a video of a guy in a Ram pickup on a paved country secondary road harassing them. When they started filming him he drove backward and hauled ass out of their. The road in question is ok and we have never had a issue on it the last few years.

This section of road is quite close to the Church that is shut by the GoA.

Since I ride with 2 cameras on my bikes it will be good to have some video if this Ijut shows up on my group rides. (6 riders)

Old Posted May 4, 2021, 4:34 PM

Parks Canada announced that 93A in Jasper will be closed through June. Only bikes will be allowed on it at that time. The ride up to mount Edith Cavell is a great one and it will be nice to do it with cars passing.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2021, 6:46 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Ranking of top cycling cities in Canada. This is a US-based site.

https://cityratings.peopleforbikes.org/ratings

Old Posted Jun 3, 2021, 7:40 PM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Ranking of top cycling cities in Canada. This is a US-based site.

https://cityratings.peopleforbikes.org/ratings
Interesting to say the least.

I looked through their methodology and criteria and am confused to say the least. I'm not being a homer, but I find the numbers for Vancouver on network side are so much lower than all those other cities. Just comparing with two cities I am very familiar with in riding, I would say that the network score in Vancouver should be higher than either Calgary or Ottawa (no offense to those two cities BTW). At least the community score seems correct as I would find it hard to believe that any city in Canada would score higher than Vancouver - to say that the biking community/city government is passionate here is an understatement.

Do something about your future.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2021, 7:44 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddog View Post
And as for the community score, taking the survey, I find it hard to believe that any city in Canada would score higher than Vancouver - to say that the biking community/city government is passionate here is an understatement.
Hold on...are you suggesting that having had Rob Ford as a councillor and then mayor might count against Toronto when it comes to the overall environment for cycling?

Old Posted Jun 3, 2021, 7:47 PM
ハルウララ

Going to assume Gatineau is rated high because of Gatineau Hills and its surroundings. Difficult to imagine a city better for cycling than Vancouver.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2021, 7:48 PM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
Hold on...are you suggesting that having had Rob Ford as a councillor and then mayor might count against Toronto when it comes to the overall environment for cycling?
Your words, not mine

On that note, any bets on when he last time him or Dougie rode a bike? Who knows, maybe never???

Do something about your future.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2021, 8:04 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddog View Post
Your words, not mine

On that note, any bets on when he last time him or Dougie rode a bike? Who knows, maybe never???
When they were kids dealing hash on the mean streets of Etobicoke, I'd imagine.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2021, 8:10 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Going to assume Gatineau is rated high because of Gatineau Hills and its surroundings. Difficult to imagine a city better for cycling than Vancouver.
I was thinking the same thing.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada