Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Apr 15, 2012, 1:34 PM
Dallas, TX

Broadway Hollywood Ad

Remap-LA

Old Posted Apr 15, 2012, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Where did the bricks end up westcork? Were they reassembled somewhere?
This location was approximately 1150 S Temple Street. By the late 1990s the location between 1st and Tempe, and Beaudry and Boylston was about 50% vacant lots. The whole area was pretty well run down. I guess the Temple Urban Renewal project stalled but property owners were apprehensive about maintaining their properties. When the city finally started activity on the high school, the buildings in this area started to get demolished one by one. But it wasn't like a bulldozer came in to clear the land. Some of the buildings were 'disassembled', and the wood and bricks stacked up on trucks for reuse. I.e. reclaimed lumber and reclaimed bricks. There was at least one building on Mignonette where a car was found buried in the backyard.

Edit, on second thought, I am wrong about the location. It is on Sunset ... my bad. There was a building very similar to this on Temple. I am just confused because I used to live in this area and spent a lot of time walking around, and recall that facade.

LAPL

LAPL

Last edited by westcork; Apr 15, 2012 at 5:05 PM.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2012, 8:29 PM

The Garden of Allah in the 1940 census

Every ten years, the enumeration sheets for the U.S. Census taken 72 years earlier are released into the wild. This means that a snapshot of America in the spring of 1940 is now online for anyone to explore. Warning: this will devour your hours!

Of interest to this thread, two recent 1947project time travel blog entries on the Garden of Allah in Hollywood, and the young Elizabeth Short, not yet the Black Dahlia of unsolved murder infamy. Posted in hopes that you enjoy.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 1:32 AM

I wasn't aware of a subdivision named Rampart Heights until I recently came across this at http://www.raremaps.com/gallery/detail/30145?view=print

(I tried to reduce this, 'imageshack' thought otherwise)

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/macadamize

below: Slicing through the tract at a slight diagonal is the 'Los Angeles Pacific Subway'.
Was this a legitimate proposal for a subway line linking downtown to the pacific or just a 'pipe dream' of the developers?
Notice the area at the bottom labeled, of all things, 'Knob Hill'. I think these developers were really reaching.

below: The Rampart Heights area from a section of my 1947 map (north of Westlake Park/MacArthur Park)

below: Crew working near 3rd Street in Rampart Heights 1905. It looks like the surrounding area is already developed.

http://remap.ucla.edu/research/cultu...8-remapping-la

http://remap.ucla.edu/research/cultu...8-remapping-la

below: I am actually surprised by how wide Rampart Boulevard is in this google street view. I see developers took full advantage of the larger lots to build many apartment buildings.

google street view

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Apr 16, 2012 at 2:25 AM.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 2:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarlton View Post
1936, Sunset Tower Hotel

Remapping-LA
I wonder what's going on with the two balconies covered in plywood?

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 4:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredH View Post
Does this look better? The bus is on the right side of the road now too.

USC Digital Library
That is correct! Makes perfect sense now. Great shot.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 5:04 AM

Here is a great snapshot I found on ebay a couple months ago. Does anyone have an idea where this precarious vantage point is located?
It isn't high enough to be Mulholland Drive and yet there's a lightpost (where's the light?) situated between the flimsy wooden 'guard rails'.

This looks like a Montgomery Clift type of accident waiting to happen.

snapshot/ebay

The extremely noirish 'Garden of Allah' is located northwest of the two large apartment buildings.
I've tried to locate it in this snapshot but I haven't had any luck....perhaps I need better glasses.

___

below: Silent screen legend Nazimova's 'Garden of Allah'. Is it possible this is from the same vantage point?

http://thefrenchsampler.blogspot.com...-nazimova.html

____

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Apr 16, 2012 at 6:34 AM.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 5:42 AM

sunset strip '67

via the news articles on clark gable jr's girlfriend's demise this week:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fi3-XlsHXzA

after 30 secs it's all about fashion, baby

(I would've embedded clip, but don't know how)

Last edited by Mark L; Apr 16, 2012 at 6:17 AM.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 6:40 AM

I love this clip so much Mark L!
Belinda's Boutique was located near Pandora's Box.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9R-rezHzn4

It's difficult to find photographs of Pandora's Box or anything else in this area of Sunset Boulevard during the so called 'Summer of Love'.
There's also a glimpse of the revolving Bullwinkle!

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Apr 16, 2012 at 9:01 PM.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanlutz View Post
This has to be a reverse print. When looking out the west portico of City Hall, the Hall of Records would be point to the right, not the left, and the new Criminal Courts building is also to the right of the old Hall of Records. I was just there Monday and took a picture out the west Portico as well. Here's another link to my collection: https://plus.google.com/photos/10587...57782495364385
Definitely, as that is the left side of the RTD bus that we are seeing (no doors).

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 7:00 PM

Multiple images of an unusual log house once at 1701 West Adams (the northwest corner of Normandie). I'm not clear on whether Edwin H. Lamme built it, but he did live there in 1900. For a long time I thought it was a modest house, but the second shot reveals its true size. Lamme was a lawyer who arrived on West Adams sometime after 1897 via Indianapolis, Alhambra, and the Westminster Hotel downtown; by 1910 he was living in San Diego.

Pics: 1st & 3rd: ebay.com; others, LAPL

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 9:44 PM

re: the looking down at Cresent Hgts, Google street view at 1618 Marly Dr seems the most likely position. There's the partially blocked view, a lonely street lamp squeezed along the curb and corresponding telephone wires above.

Quote:
Here is a great snapshot I found on ebay a couple months ago. Does anyone have an idea where this precarious vantage point is located?
It isn't high enough to be Mulholland Drive and yet there's a lightpost (where's the light?) situated between the flimsy wooden 'guard rails'.

This looks like a Montgomery Clift type of accident waiting to happen.

snapshot/ebay

The extremely noirish 'Garden of Allah' is located northwest of the two large apartment buildings.
I've tried to locate it in this snapshot but I haven't had any luck....perhaps I need better glasses.

___

below: Silent screen legend Nazimova's 'Garden of Allah'. Is it possible this is from the same vantage point?

http://thefrenchsampler.blogspot.com...-nazimova.html

____

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 11:02 PM

Hollywood Hills Miscellany

The same streetlamp base is used at least as far east in the Hollywood Hills as Rockledge Road... I'm not sure why the one in e_r's vintage shot has that odd small globe as opposed to the common urn shape.... Anyway, I didn't know that Mayor Bowron lived in the Hills at 2158 Rockledge:

LAPL

Nice house. I also wasn't aware that our old pal Mickey campaigned for him when he was facing a recall in 1950. This isn't his new bulletproof Fleetwood, but rather, according to the Times, the one that was perforated by gunfire in front of Sherry's the year before:

Los Angeles Times

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/thed...-cohens-1.html

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 11:14 PM

I believe you're right about Marlay Drive TMSteele.

google aerial

The 'Garden of Allah' was located in the lower right hand corner where you now see a large white building.

below: Here's the lamppost at 1618.

google street view

below: There's also another 'candidate' lamppost just a few feet away.

google street view

snapshot/ebay

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Apr 16, 2012 at 11:25 PM.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 11:30 PM

871 South Wilton Place.

ebay

snapshot/ebay

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 11:42 PM

In poking around the Hollywood Hills, I discovered something I never knew before: that Hollywood Boulevard continues west past Laurel Canyon, as far as Sunset Plaza Drive above the Strip....

And speaking of Wilton Place, here's a shot I never ran across when we were looking into the kidnapping and murder of Marion Parker:

LAPL

The LAPL describes the photo above as being of a vigil in front of the Parker home at 1631 S. Wilton Place, which is actually across the street....

Murderpedia

GoogleSV

Here are a few past noirish posts pertaining to Marion Parker: #659, #660, #1771, and #1884,

Last edited by GaylordWilshire; Apr 17, 2012 at 12:52 AM.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 11:47 PM
You can call me David

Monket Island, Cahuenga Pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSteele View Post
I think that photograph was taken near the Hollywood Bowl looking east to capture the path of the went to be built Hollywood Freeway at the Highland and Cahuenga intersection. The curved street is Cahuenga running down to Hollywood on the right and the slight forked road at the far left is Cahuenga Terrace.
Nice Photoshop work! But actually it was called the Cahuenga Freeway back then.

http://www.lapl.org/

On this thread we've seen the Ostrich Farm, Lion Farm, and Pigeon Farm, but there are at least two similar places that we haven't covered. One of these is Monkey Island, which was somewhere in the Cahuenga Pass, though no one seems to know just where. It may have been North of Barham on the Universal side of the hill, or on the other side, near where Hanna-Barbera later rose (as suggested by the 3300 Cahuenga address), or maybe a bit further south on the 101, near where Hillpark Drive is now. I know a man who used to go there with his parents long ago, and will try to find out from him. Meanwhile, here are some images.

The 4 images above from: http://laist.com/2009/01/24/laistory_monkey_island.php

BTW, there also seems to have been a "Monkey Island" somewhere in Culver City, at some point.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
In poking around the Hollywood Hills, I discovered something I never knew before: that Hollywood Boulevard continued west past Laurel Canyon, as far as Sunset Plaza Drive above the Strip....
It's funny you said this G_W. I noticed the exact same thing when I was looking for Marlay Drive...I was like "what in the heck is Hollywood Boulevard doing winding around in the hills?"

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3940dxer View Post

All these years researching L.A. and I have never heard of this Monkey Island. I mean...it even had that gigantic neon sign!!

I've always been a bit 'ho-hum' about the Ostrich, Pigeon, and Alligators Farms but this Monkey Island is a different story.
It sounds so cool. So a moat keeps them on the island? Can't monkeys swim?

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 3:01 AM
You can call me David

Quote:
It's funny you said this G_W. I noticed the exact same thing when I was looking for Marlay Drive...I was like "what in the heck is Hollywood Boulevard doing winding around in the hills?"
Yeah, I noticed that too a few months ago while doing my Laurel Canyon explorations; I think I mentioned something about it here. As part of all that I had been researching road construction around there, and found an L.A. Times article that talked about the Hollywood Blvd. extension, which of course happened in conjunction with new home developments - late 30's or early 40's, I think.

I drove the Hollywood Blvd. section once, and was amazed that it just went on and on. It's very narrow and twisty, and goes quite a ways through the hills, finally ending at Sunset Plaza Drive (which I think was extended up to Appian Way at about the same time as the Hollywood Blvd. construction).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos