HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 8:40 PM
Team St.Jean

Not sure what projects have fallen through? Can you name more than one project that I have sold that fell through? The only project (where the builder went bankrupt( was The Connolly. That will be re-launching and you will be hearing about it VERY soon. What does that have to do with me? I did my job and sold 80% of a 30 storey building between 2 sales events. All approvals and checks were in place. What does that have to do with me? As far as Jamesville goes... we are planning to begin demolition/construction hopefully in the next 30 days. I cannot divulge other personal details but know everything is fine and moving forward. These projects are not easy and it takes time to put things together. Just because you can't SEE things happening doesn't mean a lot isn't going on behind the scenes. I've sold over 20 entire communities/projects in Hamilton... 1 had an issue which certainly was not sales related. Check your facts before making these statements.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelStJean View Post
Not sure what projects have fallen through? Can you name more than one project that I have sold that fell through? The only project (where the builder went bankrupt( was The Connolly. That will be re-launching and you will be hearing about it VERY soon. What does that have to do with me? I did my job and sold 80% of a 30 storey building between 2 sales events. All approvals and checks were in place. What does that have to do with me? As far as Jamesville goes... we are planning to begin demolition/construction hopefully in the next 30 days. I cannot divulge other personal details but know everything is fine and moving forward. These projects are not easy and it takes time to put things together. Just because you can't SEE things happening doesn't mean a lot isn't going on behind the scenes. I've sold over 20 entire communities/projects in Hamilton... 1 had an issue which certainly was not sales related. Check your facts before making these statements.
Was just poking to get more info worked, didn't it

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 2:26 AM

Looks like the delay is with the city (I think, can't confirm)

This will change from Review to Issued when the city grants the go ahead. On the bright side, it's steel construction so it'll go up relatively fast once it starts.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 10:44 PM

You're also involved in the development on MacNab St North next to the GO station, can you fill us in on that project? I was surprised to see the derelict property leveled all of a sudden as there's been nothing in the news or on here about it. Glad to see something is happening there.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2018, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
I mean I have nothing against Micheal, but it seems a lot of the developments he works on fall through as well, or disappear. The Jamesville lofts "nearly sold out immediately", but then the website hasn't been updated since like last year, and it still says stuff about a March 2018 sales event.

Seems like a lot of developers are looking at Hamilton but are trying to gamble these plots of land and developments like stocks and wait until they can get maximum profit instead of starting once they've got their money. 85% sold out is massive, and if that is the case, they should start building immediately because they know there is a market and they should be purchasing and building asap, instead they are building slowly to keep the costs of units artificially high.

I believe this to be an agreement among all developers to maintain a high cost to real estate in Ontario. There are only a few developers that I don't think are doing this, Darko being one, but he waits until his stuff is built apparently to sell, unless I am mistaken about 20/22 George in that the building is nearly finished and no units have been sold.

Darko builds right away because his projects are mainly apartment buildings and not condos. Therefore, there are no sales number or milestones that he has to achieve prior to construction. He has to hope people rent the units in his buildings, but he's not depending on sales since he doesn't sell his units.

He did begin by selling at 150 Main and then converted them into rentals after people moved in and then decided to sell them again while people were renting. Not sure how all that worked out, but I know his other buildings are rental buildings or apartments (i.e. 20/22 George)

Old Posted Jan 13, 2019, 3:41 PM

Any updates on this? The building that exists here is looking more decrepit by the day...

Old Posted Jan 13, 2019, 6:53 PM

Didnt sales hit over 80% over a year ago? Hopefully we see some action soon and there arent any issues.

Perhaps even more important than this lot is the one just to the east of it. That row of vacant buildings on james is an eyesore.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 2:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by king10 View Post
Didnt sales hit over 80% over a year ago? Hopefully we see some action soon and there arent any issues.

Perhaps even more important than this lot is the one just to the east of it. That row of vacant buildings on james is an eyesore.
I swear I just saw St. Jean post on instagram that construction is starting very soon

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 3:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timach View Post
I swear I just saw St. Jean post on instagram that construction is starting very soon
That would be great news

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timach View Post
https://www.instagram.com/p/BsQhy4kB...d=3hj589ht4u1v

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 12:56 AM
Team St.Jean

Construction should commence anytime now.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2019, 1:54 AM

Demolition has finally started, one of the two houses is torn down.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2019, 2:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
Demolition has finally started, one of the two houses is torn down.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2019, 1:47 AM

Old Posted Apr 8, 2019, 4:17 PM

4/4/2019 by Joe, on Flickr

Old Posted May 3, 2019, 12:32 AM
Forever forward.

today, photos by me, with some 'interesting' posters placed by activists on the hoarding:

Old Posted May 3, 2019, 12:44 AM

These posters were made by children? Funny how we believe politicising children is the right way to go.

Old Posted May 3, 2019, 6:11 PM
Hammer'd

They're not wrong, though.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted May 10, 2019, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
They're not wrong, though.
It depends on your views.

For decades, Hamilton residents complained about the lack of high-end residential projects in Downtown Hamilton. Those people lived on the Mountain, Stoney Creek, Ancaster, Dundas, etc and only came down if they worked Downtown or if they had to for any other reason. Otherwise, those people avoided Downtown completely.

Then you have the people who live in the rest of the GTA who immediately cringe when you tell them you're from Hamilton.

It's a stigma that has existed for decades and it still exists presently.

This is an example of a development that contributes to changing that stigma for the better. It also symbolizes the growth of our city.

Does there have to be more affordable and city housing? 110%. I see both sides of the argument, but I also love seeing neighborhoods that used to be in shambles slowly get resurrected and start to look appealing again or even for the first time.

It's a double-edged sword. I do think the City is thinking about affordable housing and they're making efforts to get more built. I also think they realize that we have only scratched the surface in terms of breaking the negative stigma some have of Hamilton still and are encouraging more developments like this to be constructed as well.

Old Posted May 10, 2019, 10:34 PM
Hamilton Historian

Unfortunately the stigma of hamilton will always exist as long as the only view of hamilton people see going over the skyway bridge is of the factories - these people don't do their research to see what else hamilton has to offer - first impressions are everything - so you can spruce up the city all you want - as long as this truth remains, that stigma will never go away.

And maybe it's partially good that it doesn't - if people are that quick to turn up their nose at our city, do we really want those types of people living here..? Do we want people coming here that look down on factory workers and industry?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton