HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Oct 16, 2020, 11:31 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvbborussia View Post
I feel the need to pile on. This park is awful in design and as Chronamut says it doesn't flow naturally that people will gather in that space. That might change with the arrival of this condo across the street but at the moment it's in no man's land.

The moment is was completed my first thought was, "They'll be ripping this up and starting over in 5-10 years."

Once the trees mature and provide more shade it will surely improve but at the moment it's very bad and I can't understand why they would choose this sort of a concept over something more traditionally urban.

Someone referenced Montreal in an earlier post and they have these types of small parks all over the city and anyone one of them would be an improvement on this.
Well I guess what we can get out of this is .. its better than a parking lot I guess, but worse than a park? It MIGHT make more sense with more development around it, and it MIGHT be pulled up and redone?

So really, it's meh, it doesn't really add much or take anything away, and as we discussed, noone really goes into this area anyways.. so.. "shrugs"

meh.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2020, 8:29 PM
Ham-burgher

Posted this in the Downtown Update thread, but as it involves this property, quoting that here as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
This would probably get its own thread once a proposal is together. 430 Cannon E is the old Hamilton Cab site... these blocks of Cannon need some love, especially the stretch between Wentworth and Wellington.

Hamilton Urban Core receives $15.4M to grow into future health centre

https://www.thespec.com/news/hamilto...th-centre.html

By Teviah Moro
The Hamilton Spectator
Sun., Dec. 13, 2020

A longtime community health hub in downtown Hamilton is receiving $15.4 million toward its plan to move to a larger new location.

The Ontario government announced the funding for Hamilton Urban Core Community Health Centre on Friday.

For years, it was executive director Denise Brooks’s “vision” to move the health centre into a purpose-built location, says agency board chair Jane Mulkewich. But Brooks died suddenly at the age of 64 in August.

“This has been at least a decade coming, and we’re finally getting closer to that vision,” Mulkewich said Friday.

The inner-city health centre has been a fixture at a former bus station on Rebecca Street for about 25 years.

That old station, which has been in “bad need of repair,” was never well-suited for a health centre, Mulkewich said.

The agency plans to build a two-storey building at 430 Cannon St. E., a property near Wentworth Street North it purchased for $1.3 million.

Mulkewich said the $15.4 million is meant to cover the hiring of a consultant to see the plan through, architectural design and construction, which she expects will start in February 2021. A move-in date is likely two years away, she noted.

full story here

Old Posted Apr 10, 2021, 12:30 AM

I didn't get a photo but they appeared to be doing some core sampling here today.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2021, 11:38 PM

Apparently construction will be starting in early 2022 according to this article.

"The developer wants to start construction “as soon as possible” and aims to secure building permits in the new year, said Franz Kloibhofer, principal planner with A.J. Clarke and Associates Ltd."

Old Posted Jul 3, 2021, 2:31 AM
Forever forward.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2021, 6:37 PM

Anyone know what's going on with this project? Nothing but crickets for several months now.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 8:10 PM

Has anyone heard if Hamilton Urban Core Community Health Centre has a temporary site? The Cannon Street site is still a gravel lot and I believe the owners of this site are itching to get started soon.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeHamilton View Post
Has anyone heard if Hamilton Urban Core Community Health Centre has a temporary site? The Cannon Street site is still a gravel lot and I believe the owners of this site are itching to get started soon.
I believe there was a discussion on here somewhere that they will be splitting functions between two locations, with the safe injection site moving to St. Paul's church on James and the other services moving to 181 main st w.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2022, 2:15 PM

They've started tearing down the Health Center building this week.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2022, 2:30 PM

Great news. I wonder when we should expect construction to start.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2022, 3:00 PM

Building permit issued for demolition, no construction permits filed yet:

Quote:
21 165676 00 To demolish the existing 2 storey, 520m² (GFA) commercial building 71 REBECCA ST HAMILTON Issued

Old Posted Jan 7, 2022, 2:42 PM

Old Posted Jan 7, 2022, 4:44 PM
Hamilton Historian

Never been so happy to see a building be destroyed..

Old Posted Jan 7, 2022, 5:48 PM

lol same. Now let's hope it doesn't sit as an empty lot for too long. I'm pretty sure it won't though. I recall an article somewhere that stated that the developer planned on getting started on construction pretty much immediately.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2022, 2:20 PM

I didntbget any photos but the building is totally gone. The basement just needed to be removed.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2022, 3:12 PM

I did take a picture the other day, forgot to post:

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Jan 23, 2022, 3:47 PM

Is this getting built as a rental? I figured it would be another condo, but if they are starting already that seems unlikely without any pre sales.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2022, 8:08 PM
Hamilton Historian

Ahh another one bites the dust.. it's a pity the building that will be replacing it will be another generic build sadly though.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2022, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post
Ahh another one bites the dust.. it's a pity the building that will be replacing it will be another generic build sadly though.
I dunno, Kirkor does design pretty high quality stuff. It's unfortunate that we haven't seen any new renders since the DRP though. Hopefully that changes soon considering it's basically under construction.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2022, 11:08 PM

I've seen the new renders from work, biggest change is the podium (for the better).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton