HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Jul 14, 2017, 1:43 AM
It's Hammer Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpgq View Post
There's a popup park in the lot right at the corner of Rebecca and Catherine right now. Seems to be just some astroturf.

Jason Thorne
https://twitter.com/JasonThorne_RPP

Jason Thorne
https://twitter.com/JasonThorne_RPP

Old Posted Jul 14, 2017, 3:15 AM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anactualalien View Post
Hmm, did not know it was scrapped, I seem to recall there being an article last year about the John Rebecca location being a go still, it was just swapped with the Gore park reno.

Ah Here it is,
https://www.thespec.com/news-story/6...-near-club-77/

I'll be disappointed if it goes to this other lot, maybe it's just me but the north stretch of Hughson there looks kind of a tough nut to crack as far as infill, so many utilities buildings around there if I'm not mistaken. Walking through has always been unpleasant.

I like the original location because. (firehall aside) it transitions nicely from King William which is the crown jewel as far as cozy walkable streets in Hamilton, and personally John is one of the streets I'd like to see have the same level of TLC as James.
yes but their original proposal called for the demolition of "the underground" - a thriving place where bands play - this one calls for no demolition.

And for anyone htat has follows my posts, you know I am strictly against knocking down buildings in the name of "revitalization" - esp. when those businesses are already booming.

Also the owner, Anthony Sa, ain't gonna sell that place unless it's an astronomical amt, and there is nothing that warrants the city to expropriate it. So expect that to either sit forever (as it has already) or never happen. The bigger lot being redeveloped seems a much better option, and it's an area that is very noticeable - and nothing says you can't make the area around the underground - or "club 77" I guess as it's called now - a park as well. However due to it being a club it would probably just become a den for druggies and vandalism, as that's what drunk people staggering home from such places tend to do..

Also I tend to like the underground club building - it looks old, but it also has that gritty 90s alternative rock feel to it

we should also encourage this area to be more of an entertainment area, not destroy the existing entertainment - where else downtown can people go to watch bands and have that sort of atmosphere? (that aren't in say a park or outside in events like supercrawl)? None immediately come to mind... maybe that building on james near the liuna station..

no "park" is going to replace that sort of venue.

Last edited by Chronamut; Jul 14, 2017 at 3:28 AM.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2017, 1:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post
yes but their original proposal called for the demolition of "the underground" - a thriving place where bands play - this one calls for no demolition...

... and nothing says you can't make the area around the underground - or "club 77" I guess as it's called now - a park as well. However due to it being a club it would probably just become a den for druggies and vandalism, as that's what drunk people staggering home from such places tend to do..

no "park" is going to replace that sort of venue.
So which is it? A "thriving place where bands play" or a place whose patrons are staggering drunks at closing time, who would vandalize a park?

Old Posted Jul 14, 2017, 1:53 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

this is a stupid idea. NYC has one park for 10 million people. I hate parkettes, they are useless, build buildings, density.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2017, 2:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realcity View Post
this is a stupid idea. NYC has one park for 10 million people. I hate parkettes, they are useless, build buildings, density.
Aaah...no. NYC has many hundreds of parks. Manhattan alone has over 100. NYC also has density and great buildings.

What does Hamilton have? Surface parking lots.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2017, 8:55 PM

I really do hope a park gets built there (Rebecca and Hughson). The neighborhood in that area is surrounded by parking lots. With a student resident currently being built on Rebecca/King William, a park will definitely be beneficial for everyone living in that area.

Last edited by anniebanny; Jul 14, 2017 at 8:56 PM. Reason: grammar

Old Posted Jul 27, 2017, 6:34 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohamilton View Post
So which is it? A "thriving place where bands play" or a place whose patrons are staggering drunks at closing time, who would vandalize a park?
lol why can't it be both?

But yeah probably not a good idea for a park..

one thing I saw, and funnily enough it was a sci fi picture, but it had skyscrapers with connections connecting skyscrapers, and the tops of them were actually parks and gardens, with the tops of the buildings being gardens, so from the top of the city you had all the benefits of nature and parks, with the connections being paths to walk along, and at the bottom all the practicability of businesses shops etc. Wish I knew where the pic went..

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 1:40 AM
It's Hammer Time

$1 million donation spurs action on stalled downtown park
Work on long-planned John-Rebecca Park could now start next year.

https://www.thespec.com/news-story/8...downtown-park/

The city will forge ahead with a long-stalled park in greenspace-starved Beasley neighbourhood thanks to a surprise $1-million charitable donation.

The city has planned since at least 2010 for a two-acre park in the block bounded by John, Rebecca, Catharine and King William streets, which at the moment is a sea of municipal parking, plus a restaurant and controversial club.

A lack of funding — and municipal reluctance to give up downtown parking — originally stalled the effort.

In 2016, residents on King William rallied to call for action on the park, including a suggestion to expropriate Club Seventy Seven because of nearby violence, including the shooting death of doorman Vincent Lofaro.

The project was still $2.5 million short until Wednesday night, when downtown Coun. Jason Farr announced an "incredible" $1-million gift from the Patrick J. McNally Charitable Foundation, which is focused on supporting parks, trails and public green space.

He then asked council to approve $1.5 million from city reserves that should allow park construction to start next year. Otherwise, the city had tentatively budgeted to find construction cash in 2021 or 2022.

Farr acknowledged residents have pushed for the park for a long time and live with "probably one of the biggest (parkland) deficits in the city."

Graham McNally, grandson of the foundation's namesake Patrick, said that sense of urgency was on the mind of board members when they approved the donation.

"We know it has been on the books forever," McNally said. He also suggested need for the park will only grow if development explodes along the light rail transit line planned to run east-west through the core.

"That influx of people is going to make (parkland) that much more important," he said.

Neighbourhood residents celebrated the news as it went public online during the council meeting.

Mike Borelli of the Beasley Neighbourhood Association said residents support "any contributions that get us a park quicker," arguing the addition to the green-starved core is good for current and future residents.

Dale Mugford also tweeted that the funding commitment is "great news." The King William Street resident has been vocal about the need to both build the park and deal with perceived violence around Club Seventy Seven.

Farr refused to talk about any potential expropriation or land purchase that may be under negotiation.

But planning head Jason Thorne confirmed the city has $1.5 million set aside for "property acquisition" linked to the park and the long-term plan for the green space still includes the entire block. The only properties on the block not already owned by the city are the club and Lulu's Shawarma.

A city real estate official will also be on hand to answer questions at a community meeting on park design May 29.

The city-owned parking lot on the block is also being eyed by local agencies as a temporary overdose prevention site. Farr said that effort should have "zero impact" on the city's hoped-for park construction schedule.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 2:35 AM

I was hoping for a super development on that parcel. And you can;'t just shut down a business because it is rowdy. Some people like that club. I met my wife there.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 3:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realcity View Post
I was hoping for a super development on that parcel. And you can;'t just shut down a business because it is rowdy. Some people like that club. I met my wife there.
I go to 77 all the time and I have a great time. Never seen any violence there. I know it's happened, but a few absolutely dicks doesn't make everyone who goes there, the same.

I consider myself an upstanding citizen, but as someone in my mid 20s I still like to get drunk and dance, and Hess is too full of douches. Plus 77 has some decent EDM artists come through, and next best place is like Rebel in Toronto which is pricey and far.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Last edited by TheRitsman; Apr 26, 2018 at 12:32 PM.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
I go to 77 all the time and I have a great time. Never seen any violence there. I know it's happened, but a few absolutely dicks doesn't make everyone who goes there, the same.

I consider myself an upstanding citizen, but as someone in my mid 20s I still like to get drunk and dance, and Jess is too full of douches. Plus 77 has some decent EDM artists come through, and next best place is like Rebel in Toronto which is pricey and far.
> and Jess is too full of douches

I'm assuming this is a typo?? Or someone you know named Jess? Lol

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRTfan View Post
> and Jess is too full of douches

I'm assuming this is a typo?? Or someone you know named Jess? Lol
I suppose the automatic spelling on my phone doesn't realize that Hess is a location in Hamilton.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 1:37 PM

I wonder if the value of the properties to be expropriated has gone up a lot since 2010. Hopefully the park turns out OK. The popup park wasn't particularly successful. It does seem kind of crappy to screw over two businesses that have been around for a very long time.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 8:26 PM

awesome post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post

I consider myself an upstanding citizen, but as someone in my mid 20s I still like to get drunk and dance, and Hess is too full of douches. Plus 77 has some decent EDM artists come through, and next best place is like Rebel in Toronto which is pricey and far.
awesome post. EDM.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 8:28 PM

Fred is taking credit for the charitable donation that made it possible. Name the park Eisenberger Park. He better lose.

Last edited by realcity; Apr 26, 2018 at 9:23 PM.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2018, 3:17 AM
Ham-burgher

I have no problem with this (and I don't care who takes credit either). A "real city" has public spaces.

Just keep it simple -- grass, trees, flower beds or shrubs, with some crisscross pathways and benches. A modest fountain if a signature piece is really desired.

This will be all the more valued as more residential development and redevelopment happens in the north-east quarter of downtown.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2018, 11:11 AM

Still think there would be a great opportunity to work with adjacent land owner , say the 71 Rebecca development to have a couple of levels of underground parking beneath park with car entry exit across street.

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 5:17 PM

A public meeting for the John Rebecca Park will be held tonight between 6 p.m. and 8 p.m. at the Beasley Community Centre. Presentation starts at 7pm.

The design concepts is linked on the City's website

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 11:54 PM

There is a new park concept going online this eve. This should happen pretty quickly and won't necessarily involve demolishing club 77. The club might close but the building may stay due to it's "cultural & historical significance"

Old Posted May 30, 2018, 12:52 AM

I think the one being revealed is by Forrec according to Farr's twitter. I'd like to see 77 demo'd but otherwise optimistic about what they came up with.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues