HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Jul 8, 2019, 10:13 PM

There's been a lot of activity (new stores etc.) on Barton near the hospital lately.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 5:21 PM

They are finally developing the empty lot on Barton at Balsam. The 2017 Spec article linked above says it's to be a restaurant.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NortheastWind View Post
They are finally developing the empty lot on Barton at Balsam. The 2017 Spec article linked above says it's to be a restaurant.
KFC apparently

Old Posted Jul 10, 2019, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NortheastWind View Post
I live in the area, I can confirm it's a KFC.

Does anyone know what's happening to that old school on 77 Gage Ave N near Barton? I last heard it's turning into an Art College/Community Center but that was over a year ago. I envision the City wants to redevelop that entire stadium precinct between Barton/Gage/King/Sherman into a major area for commercial, entertainment and communal uses for Hamilton. The residents of Stipley were all sent an information package recently about a park the city wants to develop on 23 Lloyd St to make the tailgating experience nicer and to enhance the area.

So between all of these projects and the ongoing commercial redevelopment, the area may look very different in a decade. However, it's still pretty rough along Barton in that area so we'll see if it can gentrify.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2019, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZTrade View Post

Does anyone know what's happening to that old school on 77 Gage Ave N near Barton? I last heard it's turning into an Art College/Community Center but that was over a year ago. I envision the City wants to redevelop that entire stadium precinct between Barton/Gage/King/Sherman into a major area for commercial, entertainment and communal uses for Hamilton. The residents of Stipley were all sent an information package recently about a park the city wants to develop on 23 Lloyd St to make the tailgating experience nicer and to enhance the area.

So between all of these projects and the ongoing commercial redevelopment, the area may look very different in a decade. However, it's still pretty rough along Barton in that area so we'll see if it can gentrify.
I'm assuming this is the Arts/ Community Hub info you were referring to?

https://pub-hamilton.escribemeetings...umentId=167126

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamil...orge-1.4821287

I haven't really heard anything since then.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2019, 5:03 PM

Quote:

The residents of Stipley were all sent an information package recently about a park the city wants to develop on 23 Lloyd St to make the tailgating experience nicer and to enhance the area.
Does the information package indicate tailgating? Interesting incentive for the city to move forward on this project, considering the sports fields on this site were suppose to be completed years ago.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2019, 5:30 PM

No, the park is not intended for tailgating. It's intended to be sports fields to replace the park that used to be at Scott Park.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2019, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by interr0bangr View Post
KFC apparently
Yay. Just what we need.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2019, 12:01 AM

How will the anarchists/activists respond to KFC? Is it gentrification? Nope. Is it good for the community? Not really.

Very complex problem for their simple minds to work out.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2019, 4:43 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
How will the anarchists/activists respond to KFC? Is it gentrification? Nope. Is it good for the community? Not really.

Very complex problem for their simple minds to work out.
If they shoot sour milk at it from squirt guns, the KFC franchisee might benefit. Add some zingy flavour to the gravy, coleslaw, potato salad, cream sauces...

Old Posted Jul 12, 2019, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by interr0bangr View Post
KFC apparently
The KFC across from The Centre closed a few months ago. It probably makes more sense in the new location, with the stadium crowds and away from the competition that The Centre and Ottawa St area has now.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2019, 1:51 AM

Barton street around the stadium precinct needs many more options for people to go to before during and after events and games not sure why developers and investors haven't caught onto that yet ....it's not rocket science

Old Posted Jul 14, 2019, 4:36 AM

Neither is a quick and effective avenue to approve construction projects with council, yet here we are.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2019, 5:53 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamiltonBoyInToronto View Post
Barton street around the stadium precinct needs many more options for people to go to before during and after events and games not sure why developers and investors haven't caught onto that yet ....it's not rocket science
I agree, it's not rocket science.

10 CFL games (11 if there's a home playoff) with ~20,000-ish fans, and the 14 CPL games with around 1/3 of that, and the one-off rugby matches or other sports events and concerts that may happen annually are not enough market to support "options"

Barton's revival as a high street with restaurants and pubs and entertainment depends far more on the evolution of the neighbourhoods surrounding it, even along the blocks close to THF.

This street, like perhaps no other in the city, has been the barometer of Hamilton's economy and the transition to a successful one has yet to hit here. There are signs of positive transformation, but it's going to take more time and change to get back to something resembling what Barton St. was decades ago. I appreciate the new stadium but I believe its effect will be marginal.

Last edited by ScreamingViking; Jul 14, 2019 at 6:16 AM.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2019, 10:28 PM

Stadium events alone wont support the traffic volume these businesses need. Barton needs to be an everyday destination like locke or james. Getting more ppl with disposable income living along barton is needed. There are signs of revival happening along barton from james to wentworth. Hopefully it continues (despite the opposition from anti gentrification advocates). Of course there still needs to be affordable housing options mixed into the middle class options.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2019, 11:13 PM

The tricky thing about getting buisness back to Barton is that it needs to be something new. Barton used to be filled with grocers and butchers, those arent nearly as commonplace anymore.

Not saying its revival cant be done, I'm just saying we shouldn't be surprised if it takes a while. 20km is a lot of space.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2019, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildishGavino View Post

Not saying its revival cant be done, I'm just saying we shouldn't be surprised if it takes a while. 20km is a lot of space.
it'll most likely happen in sections starting with the area near James/John first then between Wentworth-Stadium Precinct-Center Mall later on.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2019, 12:30 AM

Quote:
it'll most likely happen in sections starting with the area near James/John first then between Wentworth-Stadium Precinct-Center Mall later on.
The city also needs to realize that to support this much pedestrian area, they need to provide more density. That means spots where there is empty space or old deteriorating buildings from the 80s allowing a minimum of 4 storeys but preferably 6-8

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Jul 15, 2019, 12:49 AM

Barton between James and Wellington isn't great. The Prison. Food Basics. The road is wider. The streetwall is discontinuous. It seems logical that James would spill over onto Barton to a greater degree if all those important variables were in place.

I'm not sure how significant an issue that is...

If I were interested in opening a pub, I'm not sure I'd be drawn to the stadium area. Seems dead, aside from a handful of nights a year, course. Tailgating is the best way forward.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2019, 1:20 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildishGavino View Post
The tricky thing about getting buisness back to Barton is that it needs to be something new. Barton used to be filled with grocers and butchers, those arent nearly as commonplace anymore.

To be fair, it's really the 6 km between Queen and Kenilworth that are the focus of renewal/rejuvenation.

And what's old is new. While some interesting place-makers would be great on Barton, I think neighbourhood-serving businesses still need to be the backbone of the street's return to greatness.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues