HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs

Old Posted Mar 9, 2010, 12:30 AM

Well, the new one is no winner either. Let's get the full quote from the Herald story:

Quote:
The original design called for metal roofing, and was much more modern in nature than what is now being proposed, Bone said.

"A lot of people said it looked like an aircraft hangar," he said. "It’s like the Bengal Lancers building. I think that’s where they drew the inspiration from. But it didn’t fly in Bedford."

That’s been switched to a pitched roof with dormers and, possibly, a clock tower.

"Compared to the original design, it’s much more in the tradition of what Bedford would find acceptable," Bone said. "I find it architecturally pleasing . . . and I think the community will be happy as well."

The old design called for lots of stucco board.

"Now it’s a mixture of HardiPlank siding, which is more like a traditional clapboard, (and) there’s some stone," he said.

"I think it will meet the Bedford aesthetic."
LOL... the Bedford aesthetic. If that was true it would need lots of beige vinyl and have a double-car garage out front.

This area's phobia about anything close to modern architecture is simply astounding.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2010, 1:00 AM

Is that covered surface parking on the waterfront? That seems like a dumb idea. It'll no doubt look like a dark and dingy car cave. They couldn't go underground or at least have hidden some of it? It looks like it streatches across the whole front. Maybe I'm missing something in the drawings?

Old Posted Mar 9, 2010, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaustin View Post
Is that covered surface parking on the waterfront? That seems like a dumb idea. It'll no doubt look like a dark and dingy car cave. They couldn't go underground or at least have hidden some of it? It looks like it streatches across the whole front. Maybe I'm missing something in the drawings?
No, you are not missing anything. That is exactly what it is. Absolutely ludicrous for this waterfront site.

In addition, I really wonder about a plan for accommodating traffic related to these bizarre, seemingly dropped from the sky, condo developments at this end of the Bedford. They are still allowing development along the Bedford Highway like it is a sort of main street, with street front parking or private access (they are currently building a series of townhomes closer to Clayton Park with a half-circle drive directly off the main road), but the street really doesn't function that way. All these opportunities to make lefthand turns outside of the main intersections, even with a center turning lane (for the few that seem to know what they are for, or how to use them properly), will certainly be a problem in the future if it isn't already.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2010, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by planarchy View Post
No, you are not missing anything. That is exactly what it is. Absolutely ludicrous for this waterfront site.

In addition, I really wonder about a plan for accommodating traffic related to these bizarre, seemingly dropped from the sky, condo developments at this end of the Bedford. They are still allowing development along the Bedford Highway like it is a sort of main street, with street front parking or private access (they are currently building a series of townhomes closer to Clayton Park with a half-circle drive directly off the main road), but the street really doesn't function that way. All these opportunities to make lefthand turns outside of the main intersections, even with a center turning lane (for the few that seem to know what they are for, or how to use them properly), will certainly be a problem in the future if it isn't already.
Left-turning is a problem all through Bedford right now, actually. Some sections of the Bfd Hwy adress the problem with a left-turn lane but section like this aren't wide enough for that and turning does create long line-ups stretching down the road.

There is acutally no on-street parking in the section of the Highway (thank god). The bicycle lanes prohibit parking unless there is space beyond them and the narrowness of the road limits parking to very short sections.

The term waterfront site is being a loosely used though I can see where it is coming from. The lot is on the waterside of the Bedford Highway which increases the importance of a good design but between this and the water is a rail track, Waterfront Dr Ext (dirt road right now), and the boardwalk.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2010, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ View Post
Left-turning is a problem all through Bedford right now, actually. Some sections of the Bfd Hwy adress the problem with a left-turn lane but section like this aren't wide enough for that and turning does create long line-ups stretching down the road.

There is acutally no on-street parking in the section of the Highway (thank god). The bicycle lanes prohibit parking unless there is space beyond them and the narrowness of the road limits parking to very short sections.

The term waterfront site is being a loosely used though I can see where it is coming from. The lot is on the waterside of the Bedford Highway which increases the importance of a good design but between this and the water is a rail track, Waterfront Dr Ext (dirt road right now), and the boardwalk.

Just to clarify, I wasn't referring to on-street parking, but street front parking where a parking lot rather than building meets the sidewalk - examples such as the Video Difference building, The Terrace (?) or whatever it is called at the bottom of Larry Uteck, etc. I wasn't very clear about this.

As well, you are right, waterfront in this context is a bit different, but these sites need to consider that they will be somewhat of a focal point as the Bedford waterfront and boardwalk develop (especially if a ferry terminal/transit node is actually ever built here).

Old Posted Mar 9, 2010, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by planarchy View Post
Just to clarify, I wasn't referring to on-street parking, but street front parking where a parking lot rather than building meets the sidewalk - examples such as the Video Difference building, The Terrace (?) or whatever it is called at the bottom of Larry Uteck, etc. I wasn't very clear about this.

As well, you are right, waterfront in this context is a bit different, but these sites need to consider that they will be somewhat of a focal point as the Bedford waterfront and boardwalk develop (especially if a ferry terminal/transit node is actually ever built here).
Opps sorry I see now what you meant. In that case yes all the street-front parking on the Bedford Highway is making the area more unattractive.

One thing to point out is this will always be a highly visible site because of its locaton on the Bedford Highway and at the foot of Southgate Drive. But if the waterfront plan goes through most if not all of this project will be out of view from the Basin (along with Southgate Village approved across the street).

Old Posted Jul 5, 2010, 6:28 PM

Northwest Planning Advisory Committee

This is now moving ahead. I appears to be the same now as the last updates I provided so I still support the project and have hope that this will turn out decently.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2010, 1:15 PM

This proposal goes before NWCC tomorrow night for final approval.

I've already sent in my statement to the NWCC reagarding the proposed DA. Basically it says I support it but a sidewalk needs to be included.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2010, 2:03 PM

Approved, enough said.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2010, 2:05 AM

There is a 'For Sale' sign on the lot now. It's not listed on MLS or the company's website so I assume it is for the condos to be included in this project.

- DJ

Old Posted Nov 14, 2010, 12:39 PM

The for sale sign represents the whole project. This whole site is now for sale at $760,000. I think if you review the original plans show no condos were planned for this project only rental apartments. It appears as if Fares does not want this site. Same thing happened directly across the road when the original developer sold it earlier this year or the end of last (Cresco sold it to Tabrizi)

Old Posted Nov 14, 2010, 5:57 PM

I believe he made a statement spring/early summer that he was going to concentrate on his projects on/close to the peninsula. Trillium, Mount Royale, DVR and I think another development close to MR.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2010, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hestian View Post
The for sale sign represents the whole project. This whole site is now for sale at $760,000. I think if you review the original plans show no condos were planned for this project only rental apartments. It appears as if Fares does not want this site. Same thing happened directly across the road when the original developer sold it earlier this year or the end of last (Cresco sold it to Tabrizi)
That makes sense. I knew there was four residential units included in the project and given that it was just approved last month it seemed way to quick for individual unit sales.

hopefully Fares comes to his senses and sells the other lots he owns in Bedford (Travellers Motel, Moirs Place and Nine Mile Drive). Right now the lots he owns are holding up two essential road projects in Bedford South that will allow future development. Without the motel developing no second access to the waterfront can be built, resulting in no ferry terminal or large-scale development. The same thing with Nine Mile Drive. Until that road is extended there is a limit of 100 units and since he has been feuding with the adjacent land owner no road has been built.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2010, 6:50 PM

The asking price for this land is $760'000.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 12:37 PM

There's a new sign up on the site. Shows a rendering of what the building will look like. Says occupancy - Fall 2013.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2012, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgmacneil View Post
There's a new sign up on the site. Shows a rendering of what the building will look like. Says occupancy - Fall 2013.

Colliers International Flyer

Old Posted Jul 6, 2012, 12:34 AM
Honored Member

It looks good to me.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2013, 2:35 AM

Now under construction

Source: Urban_Halifax @ Flickr.com

Old Posted Sep 14, 2013, 3:59 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I actually kind of like these developments along the Bedford Highway. They could be better, but they are still a step up from suburban detached housing. A few of the developments around there like Waterfront Drive are genuinely attractive. I could imagine this feeling like a more coherent neighbourhood someday if commuter rail goes in.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2013, 1:47 AM

Public Informtion Meeting - Case 18721
Thu, October 17, 7pm – 9pm
273 Basinview Drive, Bedford (Basinview Drive Community School -Cafeteria)

Case 18721 - Application by WM Fares Group, on behalf of Armani Developments Limited, to amend the existing development agreement for 827 Bedford Highway, Bedford, a mixed use commercial and residential building, to enable an approximately 2,800 square feet of additional commercial space and to reconfigure the permitted vehicle access points and parking.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs