HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs

Old Posted Aug 22, 2008, 7:27 PM

[Halifax] Long Lake Village

Case Number: 01179

I found this listed on the planning departments webiste but it gave very limited information. All i can find out is its 34 acres of proposed development at Cowie Hill/Northwest Arm Drive. There's a information meeting on Sept. 11 at 7:30pm at the Captain William Spry Centre.

Does anyone know anything more about this proposal?

Old Posted Aug 28, 2008, 3:05 AM

I hate anwserwing my own question but here is some more information on this project: HERE

Its a 34 acre development off the Northwest Arm Drive including;

-60 Townhouses
-53 Houses
-4'000sq ft commercial building
-3 parks (approx. 10 acres in total)
-239 condos/apartments in THREE TEN STOREY BUILDINGS.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2008, 4:02 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

So basically this is the last bit of land next to NW Arm Dr to be filled in, located here: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=4...22745&t=h&z=16

I figured some kind of proposal would happen for this site soon since most of the other gaps are now spoken for. This development is pretty similar to Stoneridge, which also has 3 towers (Roxbury and the two Waterton towers under construction).

There was also a major subdivision proposed between Williams Lake and Colpitt Lake that had something like 700 homes. Not sure what its status is.

It makes a lot of sense for development to happen in this part of town. The only problem is the rotary, but it's easy enough from Northwest Arm Dr to just go down the 102. If they built some kind of Northwest Arm crossing farther South this area would become a much more desirable location.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2008, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
So basically this is the last bit of land next to NW Arm Dr to be filled in, located here: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=4...22745&t=h&z=16

I figured some kind of proposal would happen for this site soon since most of the other gaps are now spoken for. This development is pretty similar to Stoneridge, which also has 3 towers (Roxbury and the two Waterton towers under construction).

There was also a major subdivision proposed between Williams Lake and Colpitt Lake that had something like 700 homes. Not sure what its status is.

It makes a lot of sense for development to happen in this part of town. The only problem is the rotary, but it's easy enough from Northwest Arm Dr to just go down the 102. If they built some kind of Northwest Arm crossing farther South this area would become a much more desirable location.
Seems like a good project, just unsure of the market for homes in this area...

Old Posted Aug 28, 2008, 10:00 PM

I'm sure it's been mentioned before, but have they considered a bridge across the NW arm so people in this area can avoid the rotary all together when going downtown?

Old Posted Aug 28, 2008, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire75 View Post
I'm sure it's been mentioned before, but have they considered a bridge across the NW arm so people in this area can avoid the rotary all together when going downtown?
When they constructed the Cogswell St Interchange the ultimate plan was to connect the MacKay Bridge (?) to a proposed bridge over the Arm. I don't know what ever happened to this idea but I'm pretty sure the South-End would not approve of this idea at all. And well I hate to say it but the South-End probably pays more in taxes than the Spryfield area...

Old Posted Aug 29, 2008, 2:05 AM

It died when the Harbourview Drive project died. It was supposed to connect with North West Arm Drive, forming a loop around the peninsula.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2008, 9:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ View Post
When they constructed the Cogswell St Interchange the ultimate plan was to connect the MacKay Bridge (?) to a proposed bridge over the Arm. I don't know what ever happened to this idea but I'm pretty sure the South-End would not approve of this idea at all. And well I hate to say it but the South-End probably pays more in taxes than the Spryfield area...
All true. However, it is still needed, more than ever now. If one were built that connected to Quinpool Rd it wouldn't need to be a massive structure since the span there isn't very long. However, the property on the peninsula side there is among the ritziest in town and it is unlikely to ever proceed because of that.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2008, 12:42 PM

THey've added some more INFORMATION on this project.

It looks like they are trying for some sort of LEED certifacation, and 30% of the land is set aside as parkland. THe more i look at this project the more i like it.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2008, 3:08 AM
we built this city

http://halifax.ca/planning/documents...ectiveView.pdf

Mainland could blow up, way less resistance out there.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2008, 7:39 AM

30% parkland? Ugh, sounds awful already.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2008, 11:23 PM

Those renderings look a lot like Mill Cove in Bedford, except without the water...

This, along with Mount Royale in Fairview, some developments around Williams Lake Road and the new subdivisions along the Bedford Highway, will contribute a lot to finally making Mainland Halifax a coherent whole, with very few gaps left between Spryfield and Bedford except for parks.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2008, 1:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
This is called Governor's Brook, there are a few details at www.armcocap.com but from the news articles I've noticed over the last couple years it looks to be a project on the same kind of scale as Mount Royale or the Ravines. Construction has begun on a new section, I think the street they're working on now is mostly for houses/townhouses.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2008, 10:48 PM

Rockcliffe Village looks alright, at least it has some density. But Governor's Brook looks just like a clone of the Ravines. Just more urban sprawl.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2008, 1:44 AM

I hope its not a clone of the Ravines

I was up Hemlock Ravine (the neighbourhood connecting to the Ravines) and i swear there was one street with a row of 50 identical townhouses (almost right down to the same cars ). And they were all grey

Old Posted Jun 18, 2009, 7:22 PM

Smile Just when you think its dead ...

Update: A public hearing is to be held by Chebucto Community Council on Monday, July 6, 2009 at 7:00 p.m. at Keshen Goodman Library, 330 Lacewood Drive, Halifax. Staff Report

Case 01179 Details

Old Posted Jul 6, 2009, 5:56 PM

For anyone interested;

THE PUBLIC HEARING FOR THIS ONE IS TONIGHT!

Old Posted Jul 6, 2009, 8:30 PM

Wow, this is right up where I grew up. I remember running around in that wooded area where this development will go running after and away from my friends with our toy guns...

Old Posted Jul 7, 2009, 2:45 PM

So what was the consensus on this one?

Old Posted Jul 7, 2009, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalNinja View Post
So what was the consensus on this one?
No clue.

If anybody lives in the area you can always email one of the councillors on the Chebucto Community Council.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs