HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Photos

Old Posted Nov 25, 2019, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
The Carleton is on the northeast corner of Argyle at Prince.
If you stand in the middle of the intersection of Argyle and Prince:
Northeast corner is St. Paul's
Southeast corner is the Carleton
Southwest corner is the Atlantic Lotto portion of the Nova Centre
Northwest corner is the brick building with French Fix

Old Posted Nov 25, 2019, 5:12 PM

Quote:
I would suggest the following section reads: "...the outside walls coated (probably in recent years) with concrete or mortar."
That makes more sense than my guess.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2019, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Man View Post

This photograph was taken about 1916, and shows the ____ ____ in the building by the NS Hist. Society. The building was made of "ironstone" ( _____ ____), etc. with sandstone____ ____ ____ ____ ____ windows, and the ____ walls created (probably in ____ ____) with ____ or ____. The room in which the mantelpiece from Louisbourg was, is the room where in ____ the two ____ side windows on the ground floor. Transferred from NS Historical Society
Another guess:
...shows the tablet placed in the building by the NS Hist. Society.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2019, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Never in a million years would the person who wrote that think that a century later someone would have their nose smooshed up against a monitor, zoomed into their note trying to decifer their over-pixilated handwriting .
So true... and just think all the trouble they could have saved us if they had tried to write more legibly!

Old Posted Nov 25, 2019, 6:35 PM

Quote:
The Carleton is on the northeast corner of Argyle at Prince.
NOW I understand why you have so much trouble with traffic circles - lol

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 2:21 AM

ARCADE LADIES SHOP - 1729 BARRINGTON

Hey all!

A while ago there were a few posts about terrazzo artwork on the sidewalk entrances to buildings (pg.25 #488). A quick little lookup on what terrazzo is says that it's a flooring material that consists of chips of marble or granite set in concrete and polished to give a smooth surface.

I've never taken notice before but walking by the 'Freak Lunchbox' today I was happily surprised to see the old terrazzo artwork at the entrance for the 'Arcade Ladies Shop' that opened there in 1932. I took a few pictures and tried to find a little about the store's history but there not much information online. I did discover though that 'Noticed in Nova Scotia' beat me to the punch on this one and there's an interesting article on terrazzo artwork in different buildings across the city that I've provided a link to. If you have a few minutes it's a pretty good little read with some nice images. Here: https://halifaxbloggers.ca/noticedin...-the-terrazzo/

And speaking of images I wasn't able to find much in the way of photos either but there was a pretty good little summary about the building itself (the Crowe Building) and some of the previous tenants on pg. 48 of the 'Barrington St. Heritage Conservation' PDF. I'll just post a screenshot below though to save you a little clicking a scrolling along with a few images from the HRM 'Civic Address History' PDF and also their 'Registered Heritage Property' PDF.

BEFORE FREAK LUNCHBOX (I much prefer the natural wood color)

Source: Noticed in Nova Scotia - https://halifaxbloggers.ca/noticedin...-the-terrazzo/

Source: My images...with my boot in them. Please refer to previous posts about my inability to keep my appendages out of my photos.

Source: My images

Source: Barrington St. Heritage Conservation PDF:https://www.halifax.ca/sites/default...zationPlan.pdf

Source: HRM Registered Heritage Sites PDF:https://www.halifax.ca/sites/default...Dec%202017.pdf

Source: HRM Civic Address Converter (old to new) PDF:https://www.halifax.ca/sites/default...esses_PDF4.pdf

Source: HRM Archives - The title on the image is 'St. Paul's Hill & Barrington St - 1953'. Retrieval code: 102-111-4-3.8.

In the image above you can see the 'Arcade' signage for the store. I had a bit of a chuckle though at the last line of the description that accompanies the photo which reads: "Item consists of an image of two firefighters operating a hose with a fire engine behind them. An Arcade can be seen in the background".

Last edited by K-Man; Nov 26, 2019 at 3:39 AM.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 5:39 AM

Most interesting post, K-man! I used to think that I had an eye for detail, but I've never noticed that piece of terrazzo before. I'm excusing myself in this case as I haven't been in the Freak Lunchbox store since it moved to this location...

LOL on the archives caption... likely not written by a history buff.

The heritage conservation pdf mentions a fire in 1912. The Municipal Archives have a few photos of the aftermath of that fire:

Caption: "Item consists of a poor reproduction of a photograph depicting what appears to be the aftermath of a fire at Bragg [Bros.] at Barrington and George Sts. The building is covered in ice."

The photos are dated January, 1912. Caption: "Item consists of an image of the [Bragg Bros. building on Barrington and George Sts.] the day after the fire. Crowds are gathered in front of the ice-covered building. "

Found one at the NS Archives as well:

https://novascotia.ca/archives/Conno...ves.asp?ID=757

And one from before the fire:

https://novascotia.ca/archives/Conno...ves.asp?ID=762

One from the Second World War period, showing what used to be on the corner of Barrington and George - it's a shame that they were torn down.

https://novascotia.ca/archives/EastC...es.asp?ID=1107

Last edited by OldDartmouthMark; Nov 26, 2019 at 5:51 AM. Reason: Added photos

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 1:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
LOL on the archives caption... likely not written by a history buff.
Haha, I wonder what Mr. Piers would have thought if he saw that one, eh? That guy had quite an eye for detail. I was hoping to get some better shots but with people going in and out of the store it was kind of hard. You can see though that the terrazzo is cut off and fits in under the storefront oddly...especially in the upper right hand corner of the entrance. My guess is that they just built over top of it when the storefront was renovated in the '50's. Doubtful, but I should have stuck my head in the door to see if the rest of the image still extends into the store.

.....a package of ice cream flavored 'Jaw Breakers' might not have been a bad idea either.

I haven't seen that 1896 image from the Tom Connors collection that you posted. Every now and then there's a gem from that album that pops up, eh? Anyway, I have a feeling that store is probably hiding in the background of a lot of images...have to keep my eye open in the future for it.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2019, 11:11 PM

OLD SOUTH SUBURB HERITAGE CONSERVATION DISTRICT PLAN

Hey all! Thought I'd share this PDF I came across from HRM Planning & Development titled "Old South Suburb Heritage Conservation District Plan". The document is a collection of buildings, historic and modern, that are on Barrington and Hollis Streets south of Spring Garden Rd. For each building there are 1-3 pages of information that include build dates, building names, defining features, historical relevance, etc. But most interestingly it contains a history of ownership listing all owners and their occupations since the building was constructed. It also contains information about buildings that stood in areas that were demolished and are now just empty lots. It's a bit lengthy at 381 pages with the first 42 being background information, conservation strategies, and the purpose of the Heritage Committee - kind of interesting actually. The building themselves though are on pages 42-242. The document is very similar to the "Barrington St. Conservation Plan" that I had posted a while ago but goes more in depth with building details. I've posted a few screen shots of the Henry House just to give a quick idea of what the PDF looks like. Here are the links to both reports:

Old South Suburb Heritage Conservation District Plan:
https://www.halifax.ca/sites/default...19cped1214.pdf

Barrington St. Heritage Conservation Plan
https://www.halifax.ca/sites/default...zationPlan.pdf

This is the area covered by the Old South Suburb Conservation Plan. Below in the last screenshot I've posted an image of the area covered by the Barrington St. Conservation Plan.

This is the area covered by the Barrington St. Heritage Conservation Plan:

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 2:01 AM

Couple aerial photos that are pretty interesting:

- Young Ave. Halifax 1935 -

Source: Facebook - OLD Black and White Pictures of Halifax, Nova Scotia
User: Ross MacInnis

- North End Halifax 1921 -

Source: Facebook - Old Halifax and Nova Scotia Pictures
User: Ken Roberts

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 1:19 PM

If anyone finds photos of the area around the water tower up at Robie/Prescott I'd love to see them!

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 2:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
If anyone finds photos of the area around the water tower up at Robie/Prescott I'd love to see them!
There are a few at the Halifax Municipal Archives site:

Robie St. [aerial photograph]
Apr. 26, 1963 (102-39-1-413):

Item consists of an oblique aerial photograph that looks south along Robie from its intersection with Hospital Lane (now High St.) in the North End. In the foreground of the photograph is the Nova Scotia Institute of Technology and Saint Margaret of Scotland Anglican Church. Agricola St. runs down the centre of the image, and on the left, the harbour and most of the length of the MacDonald Bridge is in view. Other notable sites in the photograph: Saint Stephen's School (Highland Ave.), Mulgrave Park School (3479 Robie St.), the Halifax City Reservoir (water tower) on Robie near Cabot St., Fort Needham Park, and the Hydrostone housing development. AAS negative no. 2778.

Aerial photograph of Halifax North End and Fairview
[1946-1949] (102-105-1.39):

Item consists of an oblique aerial photograph showing Fairview and the North End from Bedford Basin to Bayer's Road and showing up to Dartmouth. Shows rail lines, Fairview Railway station (demolished in 1949), Fairview Roundhouse and Repair yards, Fairview Cemetery, St. John Church and Cemetery, Department of Transportation buildings, Africville including the houses "Round the Bend," Kempt Road, Windsor St., Lady Hammond Road, Titus Smith School, Rockhead Prison, wharves, farmland, etc. Note that the upper part of the image (east from about Robie St.) has fallen out of focus, likely due to the lens or aperture used when photographed.

Robie St.
Apr., 1981 (102-39-1-1181.3):

Robie St.
Apr., 1981 (102-39-1-1181.4):

File consists of images of the Halifax City Reservoir (water tower) on Robie situated between civic numbers 3376 and 3479. Some houses on the same side of the street can be seen in the images. Photographs taken prior to its demolition in April, 1981.

3551-3559 Robie St.
Mar. 30, 1963 (102-39-1-1169.1):

As a bonus, this is the building which now houses Cousin's Restaurant.
3551-3559 Robie St.
Mar. 30, 1963 (102-39-1-1169.2):

File consists of images of the buildings on the east side of the street between Lady Hammond Rd. and Hillside Ave., home to McNeil Drug Stores and Highland Grocery. In image 1169.2, a sign for Gunther Hairstylist can be seen on the door facing Hillside Ave. Several nearby houses and buildings on the west side of the street can be seen in the photographs as can the Halifax City Reservoir (water tower).

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 2:35 PM

Quote:
OLD SOUTH SUBURB HERITAGE CONSERVATION DISTRICT PLAN

Hey all! Thought I'd share this PDF I came across from HRM Planning & Development titled "Old South Suburb Heritage Conservation District Plan". The document is a collection of buildings, historic and modern, that are on Barrington and Hollis Streets south of Spring Garden Rd. For each building there are 1-3 pages of information that include build dates, building names, defining features, historical relevance, etc. But most interestingly it contains a history of ownership listing all owners and their occupations since the building was constructed. It also contains information about buildings that stood in areas that were demolished and are now just empty lots. It's a bit lengthy at 381 pages with the first 42 being background information, conservation strategies, and the purpose of the Heritage Committee - kind of interesting actually. The building themselves though are on pages 42-242. The document is very similar to the "Barrington St. Conservation Plan" that I had posted a while ago but goes more in depth with building details. I've posted a few screen shots of the Henry House just to give a quick idea of what the PDF looks like. Here are the links to both reports:

Thanks for that. I don't recall seeing the "Old South Suburb Heritage Conservation District Plan" before. I'll check it out sometime when I have a few minutes.

I deleted a number of images in your quote except one, to simplify the quote. I couldn't help but notice on the one shown above that a lady's occupation is noted as "spinster"... in today's context it seems quite odd to see that label placed on somebody in an official document, but I suppose that's how our (misogynistic) society thought about women back then...

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Couple aerial photos that are pretty interesting:

- Young Ave. Halifax 1935 -

Source: Facebook - OLD Black and White Pictures of Halifax, Nova Scotia
User: Ross MacInnis

- North End Halifax 1921 -

Source: Facebook - Old Halifax and Nova Scotia Pictures
User: Ken Roberts
Great photos. I specifically recall thinking about Young Ave. a while back, wondering how it came about to be "the street" for the wealthy and influential, back then.

It seemed to me that the portion of Brunswick Street between North Street and Cogswell may have been "the street" from the mid to late 1800s, with notable people like Sir Sanford Fleming living there. I may be wrong on that, but despite becoming a neglected street for many decades, with the demolition of a lot of properties there over the last century, there are still some houses/buildings that remain that appear to have been somewhat elegant structures in their day.

It would be nice to read a little more history on Young Avenue, to understand when it started to be built up with 'mansions', and how it came to be that way. Presumably its location near Point Pleasant park and the universities played some part in it? Largely, however it remains a mystery to me.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 6:47 PM

Quote:
I deleted a number of images in your quote except one, to simplify the quote. I couldn't help but notice on the one shown above that a lady's occupation is noted as "spinster"... in today's context it seems quite odd to see that label placed on somebody in an official document, but I suppose that's how our (misogynistic) society thought about women back then...
Pffftthahaha....I didn't notice that when I posted those screenshots. Pretty funny to have that listed as an 'occupation'. Nice catch. I always think of the cat lady from the Simpsons when I hear that word.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2019, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Thanks for that. I don't recall seeing the "Old South Suburb Heritage Conservation District Plan" before. I'll check it out sometime when I have a few minutes.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...-law-1.4635835

Not just back then:

Old Posted Dec 6, 2019, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
I'm wondering just how many of those old outdated laws are still on the books.

For example, I remember there used to be a law still on the books requiring somebody to walk in front of a car at night with a lantern to warn people that a car is coming... obviously not required (or possible) in today's world.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2019, 12:55 PM

The Public Highways Act still has a provision allowing the Province to enlist all able-bodied men who are not in school to clear snow from the highways. Failure to report for duty is a fine of $10 or a day in jail.

Thanks for the water tower photos!

Old Posted Dec 9, 2019, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
The Public Highways Act still has a provision allowing the Province to enlist all able-bodied men who are not in school to clear snow from the highways. Failure to report for duty is a fine of $10 or a day in jail.

Thanks for the water tower photos!
Ha! Luckily I have been able to avoid such snow clearing duties and the $10 fine (or jail )!

NP for the photos. I hadn't realized that the site housed that style of tower until I went looking, so thanks for giving me a reason to look.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Haha, I wonder what Mr. Piers would have thought if he saw that one, eh? That guy had quite an eye for detail. I was hoping to get some better shots but with people going in and out of the store it was kind of hard. You can see though that the terrazzo is cut off and fits in under the storefront oddly...especially in the upper right hand corner of the entrance. My guess is that they just built over top of it when the storefront was renovated in the '50's. Doubtful, but I should have stuck my head in the door to see if the rest of the image still extends into the store.

.....a package of ice cream flavored 'Jaw Breakers' might not have been a bad idea either.

I haven't seen that 1896 image from the Tom Connors collection that you posted. Every now and then there's a gem from that album that pops up, eh? Anyway, I have a feeling that store is probably hiding in the background of a lot of images...have to keep my eye open in the future for it.
To revisit this part of the thread for a second, I found a couple more pics on NS Archives that are relevant:

Quote:
Aftermath of Craggs fire, corner of Barrington and George Streets, Halifax
Date: 1912

Reference no.: Notman Studio Nova Scotia Archives accession no. 1983-310 number 20570 / negative: N-7515
https://novascotia.ca/archives/Notma...ves.asp?ID=321

Quote:
Firemen fighting fire, Cragg's building along with Barnstead's and Sutherland's Buildings were gutted on Barrington Street, Halifax, Nova Scotia
Date: 12 January 1912

Format: contact print from glass negative

Reference no.: Notman Studio Nova Scotia Archives accession no. 1983-310 number 20586 / negative: N-6067
https://novascotia.ca/archives/Notma...ves.asp?ID=322

Quote:
Barrington Street looking North from the foot of Saint Paul's hill, Halifax, Nova Scotia
Date: 1913

Format: copy print original

Reference no.: Notman Studio Nova Scotia Archives accession no. 1983-310 number 21326
https://novascotia.ca/archives/Notma...ves.asp?ID=339

Quote:
View of Halifax from Moir's roof.
Barrington Street looking south.

Date: 1951

Reference no.: Nova Scotia Information Service Nova Scotia Archives no. NSIS 6912
https://novascotia.ca/archives/NSIS/archives.asp?ID=492

Last edited by OldDartmouthMark; Dec 11, 2019 at 3:08 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Photos