HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Apr 16, 2017, 5:41 AM

^ or rather for sharing Greg Tedesco's image, David, oops. Thanks for the shot in time, Greg!

Old Posted Apr 17, 2017, 1:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuller View Post
The park is reborn, once again.

The couple caught in embrace: Were they reliving an earlier moment? The same place but a later time, like the square itself, rebirthed.

The double-sided, extra long (curved?) bench is genius. It just screams out that this is a place where many people come every day.

Together it all feels like Montreal or New York, or Barcelona, of a time when people comfortably communed in public space, not feeling awkward about it.

Thanks for a memorable photo, davidcappi.
I concur. Well said!

Old Posted Apr 17, 2017, 5:12 PM

Wow I didn't even notice the couple when I shared the photo!

I think it'll be a really nice space in a few years when the plantings establish and fill in. The new trees they've planted are definitely more interesting species than what was there before, they're just super tiny right now. The canopy they'll form is very different but exciting. I was skeptical about the design of the benches at first, however upon sitting on one by the fountain, I did find the configuration felt way more "communal" than before... It's hard to explain.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2017, 11:04 PM

New flag poles installed in the central section of the park near the veterans memorial

Old Posted Sep 2, 2017, 12:47 AM

>>Broken record warning<<

Grass - It just looks so out of place. A missed opportunity for a beautiful tile/stone pattern.

Flag poles - Are they really stumpy-looking or is it an illusion?

Old Posted Aug 3, 2021, 4:10 PM
Ham-burgher

Today's Spec has a history of the park with some photos.

The Gore — A tiny park we love to shake our heads about
https://www.thespec.com/news/hamilto...gore-park.html

Mark McNeil
The Hamilton Spectator
Tue., Aug. 3, 2021

1860 opening ceremony:

Same year:

Early-1900s:

2015:

Historical notes from the story:

Like the Macdonald statue, the park got off to a rocky start. George Hamilton (1788-1836), the man for whom the city is named, owned a triangle of land and a fellow named Nathaniel Hughson (1755-1837) owned another triangle of property beside it.

The deal was to put the two pieces together and form a civic square. But Hughson reneged, leaving a tiny wedge of space that became a dump.

The park was a favourite topic of the late local historian and Hamilton Public Library archivist Margaret Houghton who had an endless supply of Gore stories, not the least of which was the reason for its name.

It had nothing to do with anyone named Gore, she would say. It was the shape. A gore is a word for a triangular piece of land.

— Gore Park is not the kind of place to fly a kite or throw a ball. It’s less than three-quarters of a hectare in size — more of a parkette or a park pretender. Another city would probably have called it Gore Place or Gore Centre or stuck with “The Gore” which is what it was originally called. To get an idea of how small Gore Park is, consider that it is only 2.5 per cent the size of Gage Park.

— Through the early to mid 1800s, The Gore became an increasing blight on the community, an eyesore of garbage and failed plans. It was only after the announcement that Albert Edward, Prince of Wales, son of Queen Victoria, was coming to Hamilton in 1860 that a massive cleanup was ordered.

— When the park was officially opened by the Prince of Wales in Sept. 1860, it stretched only from James to Hughson. In 1893, it was expanded eastward to John Street. In 1983, a final section was added between John and Catharine streets that morphs into a short-term parking area in front of the Royal Connaught.

— The Queen Victoria Statue near James Street was officially dedicated in May 1908 in a ceremony that drew more than 22,000 people. A time capsule was enshrined in its cornerstone that has copies of city directories, newspapers, flags and other memorabilia. The Queen is portrayed with “Leo the Lion” that has had its tail go missing at least once.

— The park’s 1923 Cenotaph, which is normally used for Remembrance Day ceremonies, also has a time capsule of sorts. Inside the structure is a metal tube that contains a scroll with the names of 1,800 Canadian who died in the First World War. It was rediscovered during a restoration of the Cenotaph in 2014.

— Gore Park’s first fountain was built more than 160 years ago to trumpet the city new waterworks system that managed to pump fresh water from Lake Ontario to downtown. It was a prideful display of conspicuous consumption to show we had so much water that we could afford to waste it. There has been a total of four fountains: The original two-bowled Victorian-style one from 1860, two modern versions that are best forgotten about, and then finally a replica of the first that was built for the city’s sesquicentennial in 1996. That last one ran into some rusting problems and had to go through a major renovation.

— The park has hosted ill-advised events: In January 1954, a massive bird shoot took place with 122 shotgun-toting hunters taking part. More than 2,500 starlings and pigeons were killed. But miraculously no humans were injured. Also notable, was the city’s infamous 1918 “Tank Day” War Bond fundraiser that saw more than 30,000 people pack the park. That was a bad idea during the Spanish Flu Pandemic and led to a severe spread of the virus over the following weeks.

— Trees have been a sore point in Gore Park. There was a huge uproar in 1921 when a tree planted by the Prince of Wales during his 1860 visit was chopped down. The city argued it was dangerous. And then in 1983, there was the infamous tree massacre. Chainsaw crews got carried away in their zeal to clear the landscape for a new redesign and levelled the place. The park looked like it had been bombed. And it was made worse by some concrete block buildings that went up in place of the century-old greenery. The structures were torn down in shame, with city planners going back to the drawing board on the entire project.

— And yet through it all, the thing that was probably most noticed by people outside of Hamilton were the park’s former subterranean washrooms. In 1981, the national publication, Today Magazine, praised the Gore lavatories as being one of the country’s great assets. They were built in 1913 in European tradition with shining tiles and ceramic fixtures and attendants who handed out towels. But, by the 1980s, the lustre was wearing off and the washrooms became more known for illicit activities. They were closed in 1984 and then finally infilled in 2014. Today they sit entombed for future archeologists to go through, perhaps as part of a larger study about how a very small park has figured so prominently in the history of Hamilton.

full story here

Old Posted Aug 10, 2021, 3:24 PM

I love Gore Park's history. It's always interesting seeing events where it was jam packed full of people. You don't really see that today.

Does anyone know anything more about the Prince of Wales tree? What made it dangerous?

Anyway, I'm going to start a new campaign: Bring back the ugly-as-shit fountains!

Old Posted Aug 10, 2021, 8:58 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgrande View Post
I love Gore Park's history. It's always interesting seeing events where it was jam packed full of people. You don't really see that today.

Anyway, I'm going to start a new campaign: Bring back the ugly-as-shit fountains!
I miss the flat-ish concrete one that used to grace the east end of the park in the 1980s.

There's a photo on this public library archive page of the crowd at the 1893 unveiling of the SJAM statue. Notes there were 20,000 people attending (and a "torrential downpour"... foreshadowing from 128 years ago? ). Put into perspective, the population of the city in 1890 had yet to reach 45,000!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histor...ilton,_Ontario

Old Posted Aug 15, 2021, 11:43 PM
Ham-burgher

Old Posted Aug 16, 2021, 12:55 AM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Huh. A lot of stone came down with it.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2021, 12:56 AM
Burger Connoisseur

I'm happy it's been toppled, hope the city never puts it back up.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2021, 1:07 AM
Ham-burgher

It should have come down, at least temporarily. Council rejected the idea, basically deferring a decision until the city's "monuments review" is completed. Deferral seems to be the major tactic in their A-game.

It's not like this was unexpected either. The statue was draped in black cloth and ropes in June. I'm frankly surprised it took this long for something more drastic to happen.

One of few times I agree with Clark:
"Clark described taking down the Macdonald statue, at least temporarily, as an act of "good faith" that he felt represented a "reasonable compromise" to allow more participation and consultation in Hamilton's Urban Indigenous Strategy.

He also said he believes that if the monument, which has been covered in a red paint and wrapped in a piece of fabric in recent weeks, was not taken down, someone could pull it down "in the dark of night," causing damage that would cost more than storage."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamil...oval-1.6091411

Old Posted Aug 16, 2021, 1:11 AM
Ham-burgher

Here's an idea: put it in a permanent exhibit with other Indigenous art at the AGH -- as is, paint and damage and all -- with photos of it through the years and a display panel that explains all sides of the story, including the continuing parts about the residential school finds and reconciliation efforts.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2021, 2:43 AM
Ham-burgher

Or maybe something with specific focus needs to be created. An museum or gallery of Canadian Indigenous history, art, culture, issues....

Put bronze and beaten SJAM there. Bring his metal brethren from other places where his likeness was removed as well. The Sir John A. Hall of Distinction and Shame.

Why not have that all here in Hamilton?

Old Posted Aug 16, 2021, 9:27 AM
Burger Connoisseur

I like either of those ideas! It belongs in an exhibit nonetheless though and not out in public view as a daily reminder of the genocide that has taken place.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2021, 11:46 AM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

The hall of shame for MacDonald statues sounds good.

I do wonder who they'll put up where the statue was. A bit odd to have a plinth with nothing on it. A native figure, like Tecumseh? A mayor? Sir Isaac Brock?

Old Posted Aug 16, 2021, 1:11 PM
It's a nickname from work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedok View Post
The hall of shame for MacDonald statues sounds good.

I do wonder who they'll put up where the statue was. A bit odd to have a plinth with nothing on it. A native figure, like Tecumseh? A mayor? Sir Isaac Brock?
They'd have to change the plinth as well, it has an inscription to SJAM on it. It is an excellent spot for a statue though, and I was thinking about how neat it would be to have George Hamilton in the spot.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2021, 1:31 PM
Ham-burgher

Maybe it's best to stay away from statues of people.

Commission a sculpture instead.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2021, 1:43 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
Maybe it's best to stay away from statues of people.

Commission a sculpture instead.
Perhaps, though it's not exactly like it was a secret that MacDonald was a fan of the 'Aryan Nature of the Canadian Colony' and talked about solving the 'Indian Problem' which should have made people not want statues of him since 1940... then again, we've also got all those Ukrainian SS memorials around the country...

Old Posted Aug 16, 2021, 3:21 PM

ScreamingViking - I thought the same idea, funny.

It would be fantastic to leave all the John A's in their current vandalized state, maybe place them in a museum in Ottawa or wherever and having learning embedded through technology to educate visitors about the development of the residential school system and it's impact.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues